Highway Police To File Lawsuit Against Thai Land Transport Federation

webfact

665 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

WE DON'T TAKE KICKBACKS OR BRIBES: HIGHWAY POLICE

Highway Police Plan Lawsuit against Land Cargo Fed

The highway police is going to file civil charges against the land transport federation seeking of 50 million baht in compensation regarding allegations that the agency has been demanding kickbacks from cargo truck operators.

Highway Police Chief Police Major General Norabun Naen-na said the accusation by the Land Transport Federation and its president Yoo Jienyuenpong that his agency has been demanding kickbacks from truck service operators in exchange for allowing them to carry loads above the legal weight limit is being investigated.

The federation, led by Yoo, staged protests last week at the head office of the Highway Police asking that Norabun be dismissed due to accusations that cargo truck operators must buy stickers for 3,500 baht each from the agency's officers to pass weigh stations without being checked.

The national police chief earlier assigned the Central Investigation Bureau, or CIB, to conduct an inquiry into the works of highway police officers.

Norabun said he has already set up panels to investigate his agency's officers in provinces such as Pijit and Supanburi where many complaints about overloaded trucks have been filed.

He said the CIB has given his agency 7 days to forward their findings, but say they may be unable to meet the deadline, so he is asking that the investigation be extended.

The highway police yesterday held an exhibition to showcase its achievements in and seizing overloaded trucks and arresting narcotics smugglers over the past year.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-09-16

footer_n.gif

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone knows that cash will not get one out of a traffic violation.........now I will keep repeating this until I believe it myself! ha ha ha

that's an outrageous statement, everybody knows they do. There seems to be a movement to just say the complete opposite of the truth, for what reason I don't know. At least they were correct in saying their are no gambling dens in Bangkok. :annoyed:

It's not the first time I hear about these stickers.

But I don't understand what the Land Transport Federation is complaining about.

They want the police to be more strict in giving fines to drivers who don't respect the weight limit ?

Or they want the right to break the law without consequences ?

Edited by JurgenG

Maybe the motorists of Thailand should launch a class action against the police for decades of roadside shakedowns?

I agree %100. Such hypocrites. If we were to sue the police for the amount of money they pocketed from so-called fines...they would have to declare bankruptcy...if they were able to.

Don't take kickbacks or bribes my arse. I can assure you 100% they do. I have been pulled over 1/2 dozen times for nothing and booked. Got the option if you want a receipt (infringement notice) then you pay 200 baht fine if you not want receipt then 100 baht fine. Get stopped at those highgway roadblocks and they see you are farang so the dollar signs light up and they ask you to pull to the side of the road. We know where they all are now between Chiangmai and Nakon Sawan so when we get close I change driving with the wife proceed through the stops and no shakedown.

Maybe the motorists of Thailand should launch a class action against the police for decades of roadside shakedowns?

I'm 35, British, been here 4 years or so. An older (65) British friend was telling me about his youth in Manchester, where the police would regularly be bribable, and one would go out driving illegally for some reason (license, lights, whatever) knowing that if you were caught, you could hand over a fiver or something and be on your way.

Then the police wages were raised. Suddenly it wasn't worth the coppers' risking their jobs over such a payment, and the regime changed. The youth were pretty pissed off that their easy life was changed and they suddenly found themselves having to obey the law more, or of course hiding their violations better. My friend was pretty emphatic about it changing the way things worked forever.

Times can change. Given time. And an incentive to change.

When should people start think about consequences here. Overloading the truck gives much higher maintenance costs on the equipment. The overloaded trucks destroys the roads, for the public's annoyance, and giving the government unexpected maintenance costs on the roads. Its a win-win for all parts in the long run to start to follow the rules. Increased safety as well, as an overloaded truck will have much longer braking distance.. :blink:

bribes what bribes... just a few over the years.. in fact i would call it extorsion not a bribe as if you don't pay waht recourse do you have ? its nto as if you get an option to go to court and argue that you were not speeding , or that the fact you were in the outside lane was that you were overtaking the lorry doing 30kmh !

200bt .. driving with no shirt !!

400bt .. (3 times) outside lane on motorway

400bt at least 5 times.. over speedlimit when not over limit

400bt over speed limit (twice) , when really over ... the amazing part is when you sometimes see the policeman up a tree calling ahead !

1 Ciggerete . the one time a argued and told them i was not speeding, was not in the outside lane, it still cost a ciggy :D

400bt.. illegal u-turn

300bt - overtaking while on a dual carriageway while traveling over a bridge . not even a real bridge !

in at least 10 back handers... only once a ticket and that was still 400bt lol

despite all this its still a better system than a fine with court and points on your licence.. its just annoying that the times you really did nothing that they extort the money regardless

on saying that .. is there a system where you can disagree with there acusation ?

Mind-boggling again, what kind of BS is hitting the media on a daily basis. Nullified land deals = nothing illegally done, the Truck mafia against the world's corruptest police = pot calling kettle what?

Subscribing to Thai Visa really brightens the day, every day - no fail!

When should people start think about consequences here. Overloading the truck gives much higher maintenance costs on the equipment. The overloaded trucks destroys the roads, for the public's annoyance, and giving the government unexpected maintenance costs on the roads. Its a win-win for all parts in the long run to start to follow the rules. Increased safety as well, as an overloaded truck will have much longer braking distance.. :blink:

I recall that Thaksin in the heat of the energy crisis,when the gas stations had to close at 10 pm, made a law that allowed the trucks to be overloaded.

If I say 'no, give me a ticket and I'll pay at the police station' to the clear request for unrecorded cash at road blocks my Thai wife gets annoyed at my cultural terrorism, beckons them around to her side and pays them off. Result!

It happens in many under-developed countries where police need to supplement their income.

Would you rather pay a 'spot fine' or go to the hassle of a trip to the police station to pay a much larger fine?

Some posters need to get off their collective high-horses. We who pay the spot-fines exacerbate the problem but the solution may be found in paying police a decent wage. I say 'may' bacause corruption is so endemic in Thai society that increased salaries may not fix the problem.

Best to always keep a few 100 baht notes in front of the car.:jap:

Bribe? Since this was brought to light now the BIB decides to get one big bribe at once 50 million baht now that is going to be one big legal bribe. This statement is laughable just like the one I read the other day from the head police guy regarding the rebate for new cars buyers. Statements against this project suggested the traffic would be worse in BKK, and the police said we can handle the traffic? I'm still laughing and its amazing they actually say it with a straight face.

what a load of BS. Last time i went for visa trip to laos the driver stoped at one check point, not pulled over but stopped on

the roadside.Took a envalope with money and went inside and paid.I asked him after and he just said for the big police för not

having problem.This is all over.I paid to the police every month for my bar before.if u dont pay, u will be closed asap.same shit,

different color on uniform.

Only once in the 10-15 times I have been stopped and told to pay for some non-existing traffic violation I ended up not having to pay. That was the one time I had actually broken the law. Driving at around 120km/h, I was told by the smiling police man, that That the speed limit in Thailand was 90. So I should not exceed 100km/h for the rest of my journey.... :lol:

Obviously its not a Statement from the Thai Highway police LOL

Can I have all my money back then? you know: that I paid almost weekly to the Highway police sitting on the road just outside Pattaya located before getting onto the Express way

Disgusting...

Anyone who has been to or lived in Thailand know it is a daily business. Get their gambling,drinking,whore money with these shake downs. I have been in several taxis that were pulled over. I pay the fine for the driver, they work 12 hrs a day for often just 300 or so baht a day after fuel and rent. I do not know how they ever smile. Do your part!

I agree regarding a title change of " Have you ever been victim of extortion from Thai Traffic Police".

I mean it's a given if you ride a big bike. . . I just smile. I have not been hit with a donation request in about a year, but I think its a combination of things. My spoken thai is that much better, I don't part with my license, and i stop alot less, yeah thats it.

I hit alot of.checkpoints,and you see the same guys out at these points. So why is it always the same old story "license check", try something new atleast. . .