Two Israelis Arrested With Fake Us Dollar Currency At South Pattaya Discotheque

Rimmer

Two Israelis arrested with fake US Dollar Currency at South Pattaya Discotheque

PATTAYA: -- Two Israeli tourists accused of using fake US Dollar Bank Notes at a South Pattaya Discotheque were arrested by Police in the early hours of Friday. The Manager of the Lima Lima Club, located at the Bali Hai Plaza contacted Police to inform them of the two men who had been detained after attempting to purchase drinks totaling 340 Baht with US Dollar currency. The men were also seen to be tipping staff at the discotheque which also aroused suspicion. A cashier identified the money as fake and after Police arrived a total of 6,000 US Dollars in fake 100 US Dollar Notes were found on Mr. Uri Barak aged 24 and Mr. Eli Sofer aged 25. Both men later claimed they had purchased the US Currency in Hoi An City in Vietnam for the equivalent of 20 Baht per 100 Dollar Note and were completely unaware the money was not real.

Full story and pictures HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2011-09-16

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I reckon they knew it but I can relate to the fear innocent people might have of potentially carrying fake money. Not worried about getting it from ATMs but suppose you get cash from currency exchange booths or selling stuff locally. How many of us are experts on detecting counterfeits? A while back I got a bunch of dollars for a trip to Laos from a currency exchange here and I really couldn't vouch that every single bill was real.

Edited by Jingthing

How can they be not be aware that the notes were fake when they admit to buying 6000 dollars for the equivelent of 1200 baht????

Yep. So how much time will they get?

Your guess is as good as mine, but I did find this previous thread

Under Thai law, anyone convicted of passing forged currency can be jailed for up to 15 years and fined up to 30,000 baht.

If convicted of the more serious crime of forgery, they could be sentenced to life in prison

As usual there seems to be no follow up to what happenned if/when he got to court though.

Edited by Orac

Under Thai law, anyone convicted of passing forged currency can be jailed for up to 15 years and fined up to 30,000 baht.

If convicted of the more serious crime of forgery, they could be sentenced to life in prison

Call me a bleeding heart liberal, but I think a good old Singaporean arse whoppin, black listing, and deportation would be perfecto.

Call me a bleeding heart liberal, but I think a good old Singaporean arse whoppin, black listing, and deportation would be perfecto.

I suppose it depends on if their story is believed or not and whether anyone else comes forward that they have passed off these dodgy notes on. The story only says that they found 6000 dollars worth but no admissions on how much they had spent already.

I guess their first problem is convincing the police that that was all the money they had - if they get the impression that there is more to it I would guess the bail figure for two of them will be pretty high and with such a high potential sentence there may be a risk of flight.

From what I remember of the M Fay case the majority of the 'bleeding heart liberal' brigade opposed ' a good old Singaporean arse whoppin, black listing, and deportation'.

Thankfully Singapore took no notice of the outside world and administered its own form of justice.

Was he scarred for life, left emotionally distressed or whatever other excuse the apologists trotted out at the time, was he <deleted>.

Well done Singapore.

....one way to bring home the bacon oi vai business must be bad in the promised land....

They were doing Walking Street, dude, so I think you mean bring home the gefilte fish.

:D :D

had to google that...

...I thought they have already proved themselves not strictly "kosher".... :rolleyes:

From what I remember of the M Fay case the majority of the 'bleeding heart liberal' brigade opposed ' a good old Singaporean arse whoppin, black listing, and deportation'.

Thankfully Singapore took no notice of the outside world and administered its own form of justice.

Was he scarred for life, left emotionally distressed or whatever other excuse the apologists trotted out at the time, was he <deleted>.

Well done Singapore.

You are correct on the Michael Fay case, I remember it quite well as I lived in Singapore at the time. There is an interesting Wiki page on his case HERE

How can they be not be aware that the notes were fake when they admit to buying 6000 dollars for the equivelent of 1200 baht????

May be the person who sold them to them said they just robbed a bank, :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Certainly a pair of damp squibs in a firework display.

May be the person who sold them to them said they just robbed a bank, :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Certainly a pair of damp squibs in a firework display.

Yeah they just seem stupid and not a serious threat to society. So I still think it's also stupid to make them rot in jail for that. Send them back home where they can annoy their families. Meet my son ... the phony money passer ... with the scars on his tuchus.

Edited by Jingthing

Yep. So how much time will they get?

Your guess is as good as mine, but I did find this previous thread

As usual there seems to be no follow up to what happenned if/when he got to court though.

Yes, but as I see it this does not apply to US currency? This is a cause for US action as US dollars are considered to be the property of the US treasury and not even the individual holding them so to counterfeit or pass them anywhere in the world is the jurisdiction of the US government and they'll also want to know who they purchased from.. But this is a large sum of money and a good reason for them to be extradite them to the US for a trial so the plot thickens..

OK you are a bleeding heart liberal, that sounds pretty accurate

Warpspeed wrote:

Yes, but as I see it this does not apply to US currency? This is a cause for US action as US dollars are considered to be the property of the US treasury and not even the individual holding them so to counterfeit or pass them anywhere in the world is the jurisdiction of the US government and they'll also want to know who they purchased from.. But this is a large sum of money and a good reason for them to be extradite them to the US for a trial so the plot thickens..

WarpSpeed,

Just a clarification to the other TV readers concerning the US Fed. (so they get a better understanding...)

You'll find that the US govt doesn't actually own it's currency. The US Fed is actually a private (re:elite) company. Fed prints it and sells the currency to the govt., govt. pays in US bonds. On that note, it's not actually legal tender (as printed on every bill.....). Strange but true....