Are Thais Taught Anything About The World Outside Of Thailand

nong38

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the worst name you can think of to call me? An English teacher? Oh, dear!

Somchai says even HE knows much worse things to call someone in English.

Out-done once again -- by a lowly, uneducated Thai.

And what's wrong with English teachers? Are you suggesting that you are in some way superior to English teachers by implying that I am calling you names? Dear oh dear, teaching English isn't exactly glamorous (and you should know), but many Thais rely on them as their English studies in school are so woefully poor.

One could easily infer from your tone that you were calling me an English teacher in order to denigrate, rather than flatter.

It's called reading comprehension, sweets.

Would that be the same way we can infer you're a liar with imaginary friends and has saffron tinted spectacles when it comes to viewing dear old Thailand? You're obviously a newbie, you'll grow out of it. They all do.

"HAVE saffron-tinted spectacles"...not "has saffron tinted spectacles". Keep with it, you'll get it. We don't blame you, as the product of a poor educational system.

I've come over all Sandie Shaw for a moment...

I did that once but I could never play that album again....

Poor Richard. He's taking a Thai style beating here i.e. everyone's laying the boot in...

Hahaha Good one! :D :D :D

The Thai education system teaches Thai kids what is important for them to know, while the Western system does the same.

I was under the impression

the Thai education system taught Thais to be subservient and obey their 'betters'.

while

the western education system taught their pupils to rebel against their society.

I think the aims are the exact opposite.

The Thai education system teaches Thai kids what is important for them to know, while the Western system does the same.

Really?!

No problem then. Move along everyone. Education in Thailand -- and the west -- is just right.

Richard should ask for this thread to be closed now.

Would that be the same way we can infer you're a liar with imaginary friends and has saffron tinted spectacles when it comes to viewing dear old Thailand? You're obviously a newbie, you'll grow out of it. They all do.

Or they tend to leave with their tails between their legs once they realise their affections aren't reciprocated 100%...

Incidentally, the use of the hyphen is optional with adjectives Richard. I think you should have known that or that Somchai would have told you....

Edited by HeavyDrinker

And what's wrong with English teachers? Are you suggesting that you are in some way superior to English teachers by implying that I am calling you names? Dear oh dear, teaching English isn't exactly glamorous (and you should know), but many Thais rely on them as their English studies in school are so woefully poor.

One could easily infer from your tone that you were calling me an English teacher in order to denigrate, rather than flatter.

"HAVE saffron-tinted spectacles"...not "has saffron tinted spectacles". Keep with it, you'll get it. We don't blame you, as the product of a poor educational system.

Just out of interest, seing as you seem to know so much about me... Please tell me exactly where did I receive my education, and the mother tongue of the countries from whence I attended said education if you please, if you please.

Just out of interest, seing as you seem to know so much about me... Please tell me exactly where did I receive my education, and the mother tongue of the countries from whence I attended said education if you please, if you please.

How the f*** am I supposed to know? All I know is that the English language curriculum wherever it was could use a little improvement.

Or they tend to leave with their tails between their legs once they realise their affections aren't reciprocated 100%...

Incidentally, the use of the hyphen is optional with adjectives Richard. I think you should have known that or Somchai would have told you....

Somchai would not have wanted Richard to lose face, so he would've kept quiet. Somchai wouldn't have rocked the boat, because he's been well brought up.

I imagine Yingluck is wishing she had an imaginary friend like Somchai.

I suppose at least we can choose our friends... especially the imaginary ones.

SC

Pompous, so a Brit.

But several grammatical abnormalities, so a small chance Australian.

(Just my guess)

(seeing as HOW you ........)

(tell me, WHERE EXACTLY did ....)

(too many 'please' in a sentence)

Edited by ludditeman

Incidentally, the use of the hyphen is optional with adjectives Richard. I think you should have known that or Somchai would have told you....

I find a surprising number of them stay on, still bitterly obsessing over the love that betrayed them, and becoming their exact opposite - that other perennial Farang resident that I find equally odd and so common: the guy who sees everything about Thais and Thailand ina negative light and can't stop unconditionally and uncritically bashing them/it.

Some of them on this thread methinks (inevitable perhaps, given the topic).

Incidentally, the use of the hyphen is optional with adjectives Richard. I think you should have known that or that Somchai would have told you....

I think Somchai knows English grammar rules better than you do. GENERALLY...means "for the most part", by the way. Not OPTIONAL...which means "up to you".

Rule 4. Generally, hyphenate between two or more adjectives when they come before a noun and act as a single idea. Examples: friendly-looking man

(compound adjective in front of a noun) friendly little girl

(not a compound adjective) brightly lit room

(Brightly is an adverb describing lit, not an adjective.)

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/hyphens.asp

Pompous, so a Brit.

But several grammatical abnormalities, so a small chance Australian.

(Just my guess)

I wasn't asking you. But you're wrong anyway...

I think Somchai knows English grammar rules better than you do. GENERALLY...means "for the most part", by the way. Not OPTIONAL...which means "up to you".

Rule 4. Generally, hyphenate between two or more adjectives when they come before a noun and act as a single idea. Examples: friendly-looking man

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/hyphens.asp

You know Somchard's on the ropes when he needs to start googling to get his point across... :D

http://www.grammarbo...ion/hyphens.asp

You know Somchard's on the ropes when he needs to start googling to get his point across... :D

It's more convincing to quote an authoritative source, don't you think?

PS: Somchai, not Somchard. Focus, man. Focus.

...How the f*** am I supposed to know? All I know is that the English language curriculum wherever it was could use a little improvement.

I don't think that you can blame the curriculum for the laziness and ignorance of posters on TV, any more than the schools are responsible for posters' poor manners and foul language.

The fact is that some people have no desire to learn, to read, write and speak grammatically correct language, nor to learn about far-off lands that, they believe, have little to do with their own mundane lives. But rather than bleat on about it and denigrate our fellows, perhaps we should be considering how we could help - at least by setting a good example. Its a shame Somchai is too reticent to mention this to you; he was a bit mischievious pointing out our earlier mistakes, but I am sure he did not expect you to get involved in this sort of embarrassing row. I really feel for him. I expect he'll be sidling off towards the bar now...

Anyway, pass on my regards to him

SC

Rule 4. Generally, hyphenate between two or more adjectives when they come before a noun and act as a single idea.

That the use of a hyphen is general would also surely infer that the use of said hyphen is therefore optional i.e. up to the writer.

Stick to Harry Potter flash cards and "A is for Apple".

I find a surprising number of them stay on, still bitterly obsessing over the love that betrayed them,

Absolutely! Richard is one to watch for the future, to be found mumbling into his Leo in some upcountry backwater in a few years time.

Beer time! What a super thread!

Edited by HeavyDrinker

Rule 4. Generally, hyphenate between two or more adjectives when they come before a noun and act as a single idea.

That the use of a hyphen is general would also surely infer that the use of said hyphen is therefore optional i.e. up to the writer.

Stick to Harry Potter flash cards and "A is for Apple".

Beer time! What a super thread!

Maybe the alcohol will help you understand the difference between "in general" and "optional". Chaiyo!

the Thai education system taught Thais to be subservient and obey their 'betters'.

while

the western education system taught their pupils to rebel against their society.

You just know that Richard will not address this problem or the importance of a free press to international knowledge in education.

while

You just know that Richard will not address this problem or the importance of a free press to international knowledge in education.

He'll just say that western press isn't free either and we are just assuming it is because of our superior western attitude... :whistling:

while

He'll just say that western press isn't free either and we are just assuming it is because of our superior western attitude... :whistling:

Somchai says: and I just got chastised for going off topic? Education, now the free press?

I wonder if these farangs know the meaning of the word "obfuscation" in their language?

while

Somchai says: and I just got chastised for going off topic? Education, now the free press?

I wonder if these farangs know the meaning of the word "obfuscation" in their language?

Well Somchard, at least our superior language has a word to describe obfuscate behavior. :D

Figures from a study conducted in 2009 by the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) showed that the learning level of 15-year-old Thai children was ranked at 50th for reading, 50th for mathematics and 49th for science, out of 65 participating countries.

Thailand Education Council secretary-general Professor Tongthong Chandransu told the seminar: "The Thai education system reflects itself in a dual image: it moves towards the universalisation of 15 years of basic education for all, but falls short on its quality improvement."

The acting UN resident coordinator in Thailand, Tomoo Hozumi, said that as many as 43 per cent in reading and science and 53 per cent in mathematics, of Thai children who participated in PISA 2009, were at the lowest performance category of 'level one or below' in the overall scale of level one to level six.

" 'Level one or below' shows that children are learning very little. What PISA measures is not a mere accumulation of information and knowledge, but how children apply themselves to solve issues they are likely to face in the real world," he said.

According to the PISA 2009 report, students proficient at level one have such limited scientific knowledge that it can only be applied to a few familiar situations.

"Students performing below level one usually do not succeed at the most basic levels of science that PISA measures. Such students will face serious difficulties in using sciences to benefit from further learning opportunities or to participate in life situations related to science and technology."

A committee member of Education Reform in the Second Decade, Chainarong Intarameesap, said the achievements of Thailand's famous schools were about the same level as international standards, but the country's overall performance was flat.

"Thai education is obviously for some, not for all," he said. "Education today has not been able to catch up with change. We need to admit it and change education to match the 21st Century."

A recent graduate from Singhaburi Agricultural Vocational College, Peerapong Sudsangauan, said Thai children didn't have goals or directions.

"They receive 15 years of free education but they do not know what they study for. They study according to trends and family pressure for master's and doctoral degrees. They complete a bachelor's degree just to become an administrator."

Thank god they have Somchard to teach them the difference between your, you're, their, they're and there etc etc. Way to go Somchard!

Somchai says that in Por. 6 he was taught that the adjectival form of the verb "obfuscate" was "obfuscatory".

Too bad you didn't attend a Thai elementary school.

Yeah really. Just think, I could have been 50th out of 65 countries for reading... :lol: That's about as influential as Thailand's contribution to world science :whistling:

Somchai says that in Por. 6 he was taught that the adjectival form of the verb "obfuscate" was "obfuscatory".

Yeah really. Just think, I could have been 50th out of 65 countries for reading... :lol: That's about as influential as Thailand's contribution to world science :whistling:

Where does your country rank? South Africa by chance?

When you say 'your country' are you referring to the country I was born in, the countries I attended primary education, the country I attended secondary education, the country I attended further education or the country of which I am a national?

Another thread running in Thailand news apparently confirms the OP's suggestion. "Figures from a study conducted in 2009 by the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) showed that the learning level of 15-year-old Thai children was ranked at 50th for reading, 50th for mathematics and 49th for science, out of 65 participating countries."

Yeah, but that's because PISA are using white man victor's criteria or don't understand Thai priorities or aren't knowledgeable enough about Asian culture...or something like that...

correct!!! your learning steelejoe, your learning!!

Not sure how you would apply 'white mans criteria' to maths education.

50th for mathematics out of 65 countries doesn't sound very good to me.

I would also tend to assume the reading tests would be in each country reading their own language, so same applies.

It applies now........

You seem to have missed everything I said in the post, but hey, this is Thailand.............up to you :jap:

When you say 'your country' are you referring to the country I was born in, the countries I attended primary education, the country I attended secondary education, the country I attended further education or the country of which I am a national?

Yes.