Are Thais Taught Anything About The World Outside Of Thailand

nong38

[

This has been my experience as well, but I wonder how much of this is a Thai cultural issue and how much is simply (or not so simply) a socioeconomic issue. As for the Thais who I know in my circle, many of whom I met through my wife's largely successful family here in Thailand and in the US, their friends and acquaintances and some who I met in school, they are all 1. very well educated, 2) have travelled extensively, 3) speak English fluently or very well, 4) place an extreme value on education in the typical East Asian cultural trait (Japan, China, Korea) -- their families often encouraging them very strongly to go for PhDs 5) are curious to know end, and perhaps most telling 6) almost uniformly hate being back here in Thailand and so many look for or have found ways out.

The people you are referring to are barely Thai at all. They are either born or raised overseas or spent a substantial amount of time overseas. They are acculturated to western cultural norms and education so of course they behave differently. Most of the people you mention above probably are dual citizens elsewhere as well.

One interesting thing that the majority of Thai people fail to realize is that a lot of their elite were born and raised abroad. They are multi-nationals and their life experiences are completely different from your average Thai. A lot of them live segregated lives away from the unwashed masses.

Agreed with one minor exception. Several of the people I know (of course all our accounts are anecdotal, anyway) chose Japan and China for their secondary education as opposed to places in the West.

So, there are a couple points being made.

1. people who are educated in some international fashion, are generally more 'acceptable' by international standards.

-- I agree with this, and this is certainly relatively true in most any country. It's true in NYC, where I'm from. It's true for my Japanese friend who went to grad school abroad. Reasons for this would be complex but certainly have something to do with the fact that 1) people who have to move around early in life while they're being educated probably often do so because their parents/caretakers are rather successful and 2) because people who can choose to be educated abroad in a different country have parents who understand the importance of global perspective and they have the means to support the usually expensive undertaking of secondary and tertiary education in another country.

2. that the people with multi-national backgrounds here do not represent the majority of Thais.

-- Of course this is true. This is part of the point I was making. What I'm saying is that the causal nature of the reality is not clear. Are we saying that to be Thai is to be flawed in a particular way which would prevent them from becoming these multi-national elites? I don't think so.

I do agree that the education system in Thailand leaves much to be desired, and, if we can agree that education is at least one of the primary contributing factors to this overall issue, I'd want to make a quick point.

I've come across any number of very successful people (in finance, medicine, politics, etc) -- some are Thai, some Japanese, some from Hong Kong, some Westerners from NYC -- who all express that they believe the ultimate educational system (among those that currently exist and which are popular) would be to be educated early in the 'Asian' tradition of rote memorization, forced appreciation of authority, etc and to then be secondarily and post-secondarily educated in the traditional 'Western' form of asking questions of everything around you, reading and thinking critically, etc. I am not an educator, so I don't know, but the point I take away is that both systems have much merit when used appropriately.

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the wealthiest people in Thailand do not fit your description of "elite". They're mostly a generation or two away from having mud between their toes.

If you're talking about the titled nobility, they are getting poorer and poorer and losing whatever significance they once had on a daily basis.

On 25 Jan 1942, the Thai Government declared war on Britain and the USA, claiming that the British and the Americans had invaded Thailand by sending troops and airplanes across the Thai border to bomb and shoot at the unarmed Thai people

The USA did not declare war against Thailand, but Britain did on 6 Feb, along with countries in the Commonwealth: South Africa on 11 Feb, Australia on 2 Mar, and New Zealand on 16 Mar.

Why is this on topic?

I think it is important that Thais know Americans like them more than Brits or Aussies.

In fact since the Thais never surrendered (Oh, they did some kind of, I didn't really mean to declare war thing but not unconditional surrender.) to the UK and the UK declared war on Thailand I guess they are still technically at war.

Since the US didn't declare war no surrender was necessary.

America did bomb and kill thais in the 2nd world was so if thats not a dclaration of war dont know what is. they are tought about special realtionship England had with Thailand hundreds of years ago. we did stop the french occuping thailand as well. also many thai women were used in the comfort house for the japanese and korean slodiers here against there will.

"I think it is important that Thais know Americans like them more than Brits or Aussies.":cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: you are a few hundred years to late on that one, were it not for the brits thailand would have been colonised by France years ago at about the time the native Americans were being slaghtered for there land. America did bomb and kill Thais in Thailand in the 2nd world war. if thats not a declaration of war dont know what is. America likes them so much so it can use its bases and ports in the region where other countries around would not.

they are all taught about Britain at shcool, prudy Angrit and our deep friendship. (back on OT)and of course they are taught for many hours per weak our English language.

Edited by marstons

Most of the wealthiest people in Thailand do not fit your description of "elite". They're mostly a generation or two away from having mud between their toes.

If you're talking about the titled nobility, they are getting poorer and poorer and losing whatever significance they once had on a daily basis.

Here we go back to this myth again. There have even been several academic pieces of work done that go through the largest billionaires in Thailand and outline how they got their wealth. You remind me of a tea party activist..albeit a Thai version. You constantly imply that it's possible for everyone to be rich through boostraps, hard work, and meritocratic means while brown nosing the status quo. The tycoon class (billionaires and double digit millionaires) is far out of the reach of normal people and has been this way in SE Asia since post-WW2. The ones who are part of this either A) political connections or B) generational blood ties to wealth. The people that talk up being "poor" 2 generations ago still had political connections or wealth family members that got them where they are. There may be very rare exceptions to that but they are extremely rare.

Even Li Kai Sheng of Hong Kong talks down his family's privileged roots and portrays this myth of being a street peddler selling plastic flowers. Every billionaire in SE Asia does this in interviews because it's part of the myth and they know if people focus on their privilege too much then it really hurts the status quo.

There's no such thing as real meritocracy in SE Asia.

I love the word 'elite'. It gets thrown around here quite a bit. I'd appreciate if you could define it for me in a Thai context.

Generation based wealthy families who have longstanding connections in commerce and industry. Their children are largely educated abroad and groomed for political or power roles in Thailand. Most of the politically active people in Thailand come from the plutocrat class aka. elite.

I know a range of Thai people who fit Thailandman's description (except perhaps no.6). I'm sure they'd also LOVE, just LOVE your description of them being 'barely Thai at all'.

It's possible to be a Thai-American, Thai-Brit, etc.. and not be part of the elite but their life experience is so drastically different from your average Thai that's foolish to call them a regular Thai person. Unless they have spent decades living in the country acculturating themselves back to Thai culture. I have also met a lot of people like this and they are very far from regular Thai people.

Ah, so we are getting down to the nitty gritty of it.

So people who have - god forbid - an education and a bit of life experience beyond the borders of Thailand are not 'regular' Thai people.

So what is a 'regular' Thai person? So one who works the rice fields during the harvest and drives a taxi the rest of the year is a 'regular' Thai person? But someone who has had a family and dared that their kids are looked after well and perhaps that has included an overseas education is 'barely Thai' at all.

Surely the life experience of a southern Thai would differ remarkably from a northern Thai? Are you down for telling that lot which one of them is a 'regular' Thai and which is not?

Here we go back to this myth again. There have even been several academic pieces of work done that go through the largest billionaires in Thailand and outline how they got their wealth. You remind me of a tea party activist..albeit a Thai version. You constantly imply that it's possible for everyone to be rich through boostraps, hard work, and meritocratic means while brown nosing the status quo. The tycoon class (billionaires and double digit millionaires) is far out of the reach of normal people and has been this way in SE Asia since post-WW2. The ones who are part of this either A) political connections or B) generational blood ties to wealth. The people that talk up being "poor" 2 generations ago still had political connections or wealth family members that got them where they are. There may be very rare exceptions to that but they are extremely rare.

Even Li Kai Sheng of Hong Kong talks down his family's privileged roots and portrays this myth of being a street peddler selling plastic flowers. Every billionaire in SE Asia does this in interviews because it's part of the myth and they know if people focus on their privilege too much then it really hurts the status quo.

And while you last line has some merit, you ignore the vast and growing middle class in Asia. They all can't be the son's and daughter's of landed gentry.

So people who have - god forbid - an education and a bit of life experience beyond the borders of Thailand are not 'regular' Thai people.

Saying these people are not "Regular Thais" is not an attempt at making a derogatory statement but pointing out that they come from a background and culture that's far different from the majority of Thai people. Let's say you are a Thai person born in the U.K. and spend your whole life speaking english to your peers, watching Brit T.V., dating mostly Brits, and absorbing that culture there's no way in hell you could be considered a regular "Thai" person. Your identity and perspective is vastly different.

That's just common sense and one of the pieces of criticism about people like Abhisit was that because of his background he was woefully out of touch with the Thai people despite his good intentions. However his situation was different because his family was in fact titled and "elite" and he was being groomed for Thai politics probably since he was a teenager.

So what is a 'regular' Thai person? So one who works the rice fields during the harvest and drives a taxi the rest of the year is a 'regular' Thai person? But someone who has had a family and dared that their kids are looked after well and perhaps that has included an overseas education is 'barely Thai' at all.

Someone born and raised in Thailand with primarily Thai culture as their background. I have met Thai people who speak perfectly good english from schools like Chula or Thammasat but raised only in Thailand. Their perspective and cultural inclinations are still a 180 degree of difference between the Thai-Americans and Brit Thais that I know.

Surely the life experience of a southern Thai would differ remarkably from a northern Thai? Are you down for telling that lot which one of them is a 'regular' Thai and which is not?

Those are provincial differences and not international differences. It's apples and oranges. Southern Thais (except for some breakaway extremists) are still beholden to mainstream Thai culture and its social structures right from birth.

My gosh, you are so wrong that it's shocking.

If you'd like, take out the handful of billionaires in your "academic works".

There are thousands upon thousands of ordinary Thais who have pulled themselves up (yes, from their bootstraps) to become millionaires on their own merit. I know a good handful of them personally.

I know even more who have pulled themselves up from the farmer class to the middle class. Homes, cars, overseas trips -- all the trappings of the middle class.

You paint a picture that is completely inaccurate, and one that plays into the myth that there are no opportunities here. I can only guess that you spend your time around people with no skills or ambition whatsoever, who sit around moping that they are poor without ever doing a darned thing about it.

It must be sad.

Saying these people are not "Regular Thais" is not an attempt at making a derogatory statement but pointing out that they come from a background and culture that's far different from the majority of Thai people. Let's say you are a Thai person born in the U.K. and spend your whole life speaking english to your peers, watching Brit T.V., dating mostly Brits, and absorbing that culture there's no way in hell you could be considered a regular "Thai" person. Your identity and perspective is vastly different.

That's just common sense and one of the pieces of criticism about people like Abhisit was that because of his background he was woefully out of touch with the Thai people despite his good intentions. However his situation was different because his family was in fact titled and "elite" and he was being groomed for Thai politics probably since he was a teenager.

Someone born and raised in Thailand with primarily Thai culture as their background. I have met Thai people who speak perfectly good english from schools like Chula or Thammasat but raised only in Thailand. Their perspective and cultural inclinations are still a 180 degree of difference between the Thai-Americans and Brit Thais that I know.

I reckon Father Joe down at Klong Toey would disagree with you. The ability to empathise with someone's plight has very little to do with where you were raised and everything to do with the values you were taught.

The criticisms thrown at Abhisit were just opportunitistic cr@p that any opposition throws at a sitting government.

'Out of touch with ORDINARY Australians/Americans/British/Canadian's blah blah blah'. I'm sure you've heard that before...

I dare say that Abhisit would have a lot more empathy with the 'regular' Thai than most.

Edited by samran

My gosh, you are so wrong that it's shocking.

There are thousands upon thousands of ordinary Thais who have pulled themselves up (yes, from their bootstraps) to become millionaires on their own merit. I know a good handful of them personally.

I know even more who have pulled themselves up from the farmer class to the middle class. Homes, cars, overseas trips -- all the trappings of the middle class.

You paint a picture that is completely inaccurate, and one that plays into the myth that there are no opportunities here. I can only guess that you spend your time around people with no skills or ambition whatsoever, who sit around moping that they are poor without ever doing a darned thing about it.

It must be sad.

Well, an opportunistic person may say that the guy has spent too much time with his head in the books reading drummed up theories from egg heads in ivory towers and wouldn't know what a 'real' Thai was if one fell into his lap (or maybe he thinks he knows what one is because one did fall into his lap - after a lady drink was purchased).

But that would be opportunistic of me to say so, so I won't say it.

It must be sad.

I'll ignore your little pissant insult and address this with just a few facts for you to consider.

Countries with a dominant middle class invariably have much lower corruption than countries without a middle class. Thailand's middle class is obviously rather weak and despite the "thousands" you claim to know it's obvious that it's always hurt Thailand's long term development in this regard.

Thailand consistently ranks in the near bottom on corruption indices. The "elected" officials you see in Thai politics are nearly all plutocrats. When was the last time Thailand had anyone in office that was due to merit or ability? Name one PM that fit this profile. Better yet how many are from a middle class background?

The gini coefficient which measures wealth inequality. In developing countries a higher gini coefficient indicates more serious political/economic issues than a country with a naturally huge GDP like the U.S.

http://en.wikipedia....ini_coefficient

Thailand has horrible inequality.

and wouldn't know what a 'real' Thai was if one fell into his lap (or maybe he thinks he knows what one is because one did fall into his lap - after a lady drink was purchased).

Aren't you supposedly half-thai or something? Perhaps you're referring to your own parent's origins.

Where is your factual substance to this post as a matter of interest? It seems a rather sweeping statement to be frank

Where is your factual substance to this post as a matter of interest? It seems a rather sweeping statement to be frank

Dicky does not do substance, along with Samran they like to think they do irony , but both are way out of their depth.

ph34r.gif

It must be sad.

I'll ignore your little pissant insult and address this with just a few facts for you to consider.

Countries with a dominant middle class invariably have much lower corruption than countries without a middle class. Thailand's middle class is obviously rather weak and despite the "thousands" you claim to know it's obvious that it's always hurt Thailand's long term development in this regard.

Thailand consistently ranks in the near bottom on corruption indices. The "elected" officials you see in Thai politics are nearly all plutocrats. When was the last time Thailand had anyone in office that was due to merit or ability? Name one PM that fit this profile. Better yet how many are from a middle class background?

The gini coefficient which measures wealth inequality. In developing countries a higher gini coefficient indicates more serious political/economic issues than a country with a naturally huge GDP like the U.S.

http://en.wikipedia....ini_coefficient

Thailand has horrible inequality.

Are we talking about opportunity or corruption?

And is Thailand's inequality coefficient widening (like most Western nation's are) or narrowing?

There are huge opportunities here for anyone who is hard working and who has a little ambition. Your suggestion that the "elite" has a lock on opportunity is simply silly, and a slap in the face to the tens of thousands of Thai families who have made it into the middle and upper classes by the sweat of their brow.

The connection between middle class percentage of the population and corruption is directly correlated. Dominant middle class = low corruption and more opportunities for social mobility. Low middle class = massive corruption and low opportunities for social mobility. This is all obvious.

And is Thailand's inequality coefficient widening (like most Western nation's are) or narrowing?

That's a good question, most western nations aren't widening or narrowing but remaining within a tight standard deviation. There are a few countries where the middle class is getting squeezed like the U.S. but with a population of 300 million and a 14 trillion GDP there are numerous reasons for this which are not comparable with Thailand's economic or political situation.

At any rate if the major western countries suffer a prolonged economic contraction Thailand will also suffer. A large portion of Thailand's economy hinges on exports mainly to the developed world. The entire ASEAN region will go through a recession.

There are huge opportunities here for anyone who is hard working and who has a little ambition. Your suggestion that the "elite" has a lock on opportunity is simply silly, and a slap in the face to the tens of thousands of Thai families who have made it into the middle and upper classes by the sweat of their brow.

Judging by the politics the elite _does_ have a lock on opportunity. If you have a dozen or less tycoon families controlling all the politics then they by default control access to opportunity and the immediate social welfare of the people.

This isn't rocket science here.

Edited by wintermute

Aren't you supposedly half-thai or something? Perhaps you're referring to your own parent's origins.

class. Pure class you are.

Go on, say it again one more time, just for effect.

Go around insulting people's parents on a regular basis do you? I guess it is all part an parcel of what you are - able to define who and what people are and what they should be...

Go around insulting people's parents on a regular basis do you? I guess it is all part an parcel of what you are - able to define who and what people are and what they should be...

You made a completely nasty and tasteless insinuation towards me first and I see you don't like having a dose of your own medicine.

Maybe next time you'll learn not to sling baseless insults without expecting a few back at you.

You made a completely nasty and tasteless insinuation towards me first and I see you don't like having a dose of your own medicine.

Maybe next time you'll learn not to sling baseless insults without expecting a few back at you.

me is fine.

Never my parents.

The connection between middle class percentage of the population and corruption is directly correlated. Dominant middle class = low corruption and more opportunities for social mobility. Low middle class = massive corruption and low opportunities for social mobility. This is all obvious.

That's a good question, most western nations aren't widening or narrowing but remaining within a tight standard deviation. There are a few countries where the middle class is getting squeezed like the U.S. but with a population of 300 million and a 14 trillion GDP there are numerous reasons for this which are not comparable with Thailand's economic or political situation.

At any rate if the major western countries suffer a prolonged economic contraction Thailand will also suffer. A large portion of Thailand's economy hinges on exports mainly to the developed world. The entire ASEAN region will go through a recession.

Judging by the politics the elite _does_ have a lock on opportunity. If you have a dozen or less tycoon families controlling all the politics then they by default control access to opportunity and the immediate social welfare of the people.

This isn't rocket science here.

You really do have no idea what you're talking about.

First you talk about the "elite" with their fancy overseas educations and their hardly being Thai.

Then you reference the dozen or more elite families supposedly running politics? You mean, like the Yubamrungs, Asavahames, Khunpluems, Silpa-archas, Chidchobs and others who are hardly educated peasants and can hardly speak English?

Those guys? The real "elite" would laugh at you including them in their company.

Every now and again we come across Thais who had a few years education in the West.

Most of them are arrogant as hell and really think they are incredibly superior here in Thailand (far more so than the average Thai who just 'believes' they are superior).

In my (admittedly limited) experience - the best are those well-educated here in Thailand. They are intelligent, interested in what is going on in the world and generally nice people to deal with.

There are 128,000 "high net worth individuals" in Thailand according to the Swiss Private Bank Julius Baer. By high net worth, they mean holding over USD 1 million in liquid assets -- apart from their primary homes.

That's a heck of a lot of people.

As a percentage of the population, it's hardly anyone.

There are 128,000 "high net worth individuals" in Thailand according to the Swiss Private Bank Julius Baer. By high net worth, they mean holding over USD 1 million in liquid assets -- apart from their primary homes.

Thailand is not yet a rich country.

But it does cast a bit on doubt on some of the ridiculous assertions that wealth is controlled by a few dozen / a few hundred / or even a few thousand "elite" families, and off-limits to all others.

Thailand is not yet a rich country.

But it does cast a bit on doubt on some of the ridiculous assertions that wealth is controlled by a few dozen / a few hundred / or even a few thousand "elite" families, and off-limits to all others.

Is one million US really wealthy?

Find out how many have One Billion.

Every now and again we come across Thais who had a few years education in the West.

Most of them are arrogant as hell and really think they are incredibly superior here in Thailand (far more so than the average Thai who just 'believes' they are superior).

In my (admittedly limited) experience - the best are those well-educated here in Thailand. They are intelligent, interested in what is going on in the world and generally nice people to deal with.

I agree with this observation. It's not unlike other poor countries I've been to though. When the wealth/education disparity is so unequal, you get more of this kind of thing, I think. People often have a tendency to easily forget that so much of our 'accomplishment' is purely chance. Where we were born, into what family we were born, all that crazy jazz that Malcom Gladwell writes about and stuff in Freakonomics and Super Freakonomics. However, just as was true for me in the US, some of the most interesting, wonderful and accepting, humble people I meet are the ones who are really on it. The ones who are super bright and accomplished and ambitious. The people who are past the ego stuff.

Most of them realize the world is flat and if they go too far outside of Thailand they will fall off into space.

Edited by cdnvic
This topic has turned into nothing more than bashing Thais and each other so /closed