Are Thais Taught Anything About The World Outside Of Thailand

nong38

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that in local schools they study other subjects instead of world history/geography. Hands on subjects (is one called C.O.?) that is based on agriculture and how to farm the land so to speak.

These are probably more important to the life of the average Thai than learning about how the planes in the Battle of Britain had a fight nearly 70 years ago half way round the world in a country that perhaps, 0.5% of them will ever get to visit.

If I was a local living here on say, under 20,000thb I know which I'd rather have knowledge about, the land here and how to maximise its potential or roll off the names of the engines that were used in a spitfire before my parents were even born.

Edited by hehehoho

Battle of Britain? For real?

On average, I'd say the average Thai knows a lot more about the US, UK, Western Europe, Japan, Korea, China, etc. than the average American or European or Korean knows about Thailand -- if for no other reason than all the foreign movies, music, and other popular culture they lap up.

Judging by the amount of betting I observed last night, they sure know a lot about our Premier League footbon teams.

ph34r.gif

I believe that in local schools they study other subjects instead of world history/geography. Hands on subjects (is one called C.O.?) that is based on agriculture and how to farm the land so to speak.

These are probably more important to the life of the average Thai than learning about how the planes in the Battle of Britain had a fight nearly 70 years ago half way round the world in a country that perhaps, 0.5% of them will ever get to visit.

If I was a local living here on say, under 20,000thb I know which I'd rather have knowledge about, the land here and how to maximise its potential or roll off the names of the engines that were used in a spitfire before my parents were even born.

Fair comment, but what about the students who go to universtity should their scope have broadened to take in at least the Asean area which going to be ever more important to Thailand now that Thailand is a member?

I suppose the one thing your words say is that at least the education system, or part of it, does try and help Thais to survive from day to day, they should as a result, but I see little evidence of it, plan to survive further ahead, a bit more long term planning. E.G when the floods have gone down everyone will breatha asigh of relief, but, knowing the same will happen likely next year will be learnt so that better prevention can take place and that does not stop at school level alone, the Govt needs to show a lead here and then be shown as an example in school.

The Battle of Britain.

In all the events of history, what relevance now, anywhere, let alone Asia?

Where, today, would children learn about that at school?

Britain, even? Ask the 'yoof of today' seen recently rioting and burning in their own 'Battle of Britain'

Hitler has been superceded by more recent genocides, wars.

In the 'nice to know' category maybe, but doesn''t help one get a job in 2011.

Ok, perhaps you can ask your average Thais these questions:

Where was the king born?

What was the first capitol of Thailand?

what were the subsequent capitols?

When did Thailand move from being an absolute monarchy to a constitutional one?

The list goes on.........

The Battle of Britain.

Britain, even? Ask the 'yoof of today' seen recently rioting and burning in their own 'Battle of Britain'

Where was the king born?

How many tries do they get?

Or for the real stumper ask them what the Victory Monument celebrates. :lol:

Edited by kerryk

The Battle of Britain.

Where was the king born?

I can answer that. The Day China owned everything in Thailand worth anything. Never Collonised , My Ass.!!

............. The Reds Shirts are Lao not Thais as well.!!!.

^ but you may want to clarify you mean capital not capitol

Thailand's capital is easy; or perhaps you meant Siam?

Maybe get your 'superiority-proving' questions straight before asking.

Definition of CAPITOL

a : a building in which a state legislative body meets b : a group of buildings in which the functions of state government are carried out

capitalized : the building in which the United States Congress meets at Washington

Examples of CAPITOL

the dome of the state capitol

<the legislators were called to the capitol for an emergency session>

Taken from Websters dictionary

Edited by Kilgore Trout

The Battle of Britain.

Where was the king born?

I can answer that. The Day China owned everything in Thailand worth anything. Never Collonised , My Ass.!!

............. The Reds Shirts are Lao not Thais as well.!!!.

What question are you answering?

Definition of CAPITAL

: the uppermost member of a column or pilaster crowning the shaft and taking the weight of the entablature — see column illustration

Examples of CAPITAL

The transition from Greece to Rome is marked, in a propylaeum space, by a huge Ionic column's base and capital, with a space between the broad part of the column below and the narrowing segment above. —Garry Wills, New York Review of Books, 31 May 2007

Is this the word I should have used smart guy?

Let me clue you in, we are in Thailand and the UK is not the center of the world. Get used to it.

Notice how I said "center" not "centre" B)

Edited by Kilgore Trout

Why should they care about the world, when everyone in Thailand will die Dec 21st 2012. That titbit was from my wife, she heard it on Television. After a few questions, I explained if it happens, it isn't just Thailand. I think that was too much to take in.

Definition of CAPITAL

: the uppermost member of a column or pilaster crowning the shaft and taking the weight of the entablature — see column illustration

Examples of CAPITAL

The transition from Greece to Rome is marked, in a propylaeum space, by a huge Ionic column's base and capital, with a space between the broad part of the column below and the narrowing segment above. —Garry Wills, New York Review of Books, 31 May 2007

Let me clue you in, we are in Thailand and the UK is not the center of the world. Get used to it.

I don't know which Dictionary ,you are quoting from . OH !! I see you are not even quoting from a Dictionary.The ones I use give 7 ,yes SEVEN different meanings for the word"Capital" ,including that which defines a Capital City as a place where The National Parliament is located. Definitely NOT Capitol,which is a "word" which does not even exist.Who is the smart guy ,now?

Definition of CAPITAL

Examples of CAPITAL

I don't know which Dictionary ,you are quoting from . OH !! I see you are not even quoting from a Dictionary.The ones I use give 7 ,yes SEVEN different meanings for the word"Capital" ,including that which defines a Capital City as a place where The National Parliament is located. Definitely NOT Capitol,which is a "word" which does not even exist.Who is the smart guy ,now?

A smart guy is one who can read and understand without getting involved in tedious spelling arguments. I believe the forum rules also have this opinion.

What Question. The Victory Monument. A blind Man on a Galloping Horse could twig that, unless hes a Teacher.:D

Your answer about China was so far from reality that I got confused. The Victory monument has nothing to do with China. When it was built China wasn't even a Communist country.

What Question. The Victory Monument. A blind Man on a Galloping Horse could twig that, unless hes a Teacher.:D

Your answer about China was so far from reality that I got confused. The Victory monument has nothing to do with China. When it was built China wasn't even a Communist country.

The OP asked what the V.M. stood for, Never had one as far as i can see. Just the Chins quietly invadeing, and owning everything worth anything.

The OP asked what the V.M. stood for, Never had one as far as i can see. Just the Chins quietly invadeing, and owning everything worth anything.

Victory Monument has been a major Bangkok landmark for 80 years.

At least ,I was smart enough to research

Definitely NOT Capitol,which is a "word" which does not even exist.Who is the smart guy ,now?

Well, not you.

The word capitol does exist.

Yes, it does ,but it is not listed in The Collins Cobuild Essential English Dictionary ( a Dictionary very popular with Thai University students),nor in the Little Oxford, nor in The Macquarie Dictionary. Nor in Word for word ,a Dictionary of Synonyms. Could it be that it is only used in the U.S.?As in Capitol Hill?

Edited by afarang

Definitely NOT Capitol,which is a "word" which does not even exist.Who is the smart guy ,now?

Well, not you.

Yes, it does ,but it is not listed in The Collins Cobuild Essential English Dictionary ( a Dictionary very popular with Thai University students),nor in the Little Oxford, nor in The Macquarie Dictionary. Nor in Word for word ,a Dictionary of Synonyms. Could it be that it is only used in the U.S.?As in Capitol Hill?

It's in the OED, you know that little book that is generally accepted as being number one repository of English, so it's a word in the English language, end of.

And what have we learned from this thread so far, general knowledge abounds, but so does general ignorance, but some are loathe to admit it.

Well, not you.

It's in the OED, you know that little book that is generally accepted as being number one repository of English, so it's a word in the English language, end of.

And what have we learned from this thread so far, general knowledge abounds, but so does general ignorance, but some are loathe to admit it.

And how many of us have an O.E.D.(punctuation?),in our homes?The little book from Oxford ,is actually called The Little Oxford Dictionary.Of which I do have a copy.Care to answer my question?

Edited by afarang

So how many people actually knew the Victory Monument was to commemorate the Thai French Indo China War 1940-1941. A bit embarrassing as they had to give the gained territories back after WW2. So really a monument to nothing.

Victory Monument

I find that Thais are pretty much like any other people, if they hang out with smart people they strive to become smarter. Its not always how much you know but how much you want to know. If you take the trouble to find the answer you've just become a bit smarter.

I concur with the OP. Apart from some very well educated and travelled Thais, the majority of the Thai population (uneducated through to university educated) have very little knowledge and are ignorant of basic Geography, History and Science. I always amazes me how very few Thais know of what happened during the 1970's in their neighbouring country Cambodia. Or how they don't know where major countries are on a map. Or how the earth interacts with the sun & moon etc.

Edited by alleykat

And how many of us have an O.E.D.(punctuation?),in our homes?The little book from Oxford ,is actually called The Little Oxford Dictionary.Of which I do have a copy.Care to answer my question?

My reference to that little book was sarchasm, learn to recognise it.

I would expect an English teacher to have the full version.

We can talk about this on Tuesday if you like, as long as you refrain from name calling and table banging.

We can talk about this on Tuesday if you like, as long as you refrain from name calling and table banging.

sarchasm indeed, -- defined as the abyss between your own perception of your intelligence and and the reality as evidenced in a discussion over the meaning, spelling and usage of words.

Edited by nocturn

Correct me if I am wrong, but my impression ,going back some years ,was the print version of The O.E.D was some 60 volumes.

I have never seen it on sale in Bangkok.