Kde - Kmail

buadhai

Trying to send mail using kmail via smtp.mac.com generates the following error:

[The server responded: "5.0.0 HELO requires domain address "]

Sendmail (postfix) works fine.

I can also send mail from a different mail client (mail.app) from the same machine.

Any ideas?

hi'

there is a big chance that your account setup is set with restrictions, check them out, and send.

and some smp server needs need some ID in order to deliver the mail, in other words, you need go through the pop server and then send ...

hope it can help a bit ...

I use Evolution (Gnome)

francois

hi'

there is a big chance that your account setup is set with restrictions, check them out, and send.

and some smp server needs need some ID in order to deliver the mail, in other words, you need go through the pop server and then send ...

hope it can help a bit ...

I use Evolution (Gnome)

francois

Well, I do have to authenticate with this e-mail account, but I have set that up.

I can send mail through this SMTP server using a different e-mail client, but it fails with kmail.

I can't see anything in the kmail setup that would fix this....

No need to change the email client, kmail works fine, for me and countless others. I myself use it (on Linux though) with many different mail servers.

It seems to me that your setup is somewhere missing something. However you did not post details, so it is not possible to verify. Keep in mind that a typo you made yourself you almost always never see yourself, but a different person might spot it quickly.

How did you install KDE on the Mac, did you compile it yourself? May be you do really miss a dependency?

@Francois: He said he runs KDE on a Mac. Did I miss that there is Gnome / Evolution for the Mac?

• 1 month later...
Trying to send mail using kmail via smtp.mac.com generates the following error:

[The server responded: "5.0.0 HELO requires domain address "]

Hmmm. I have been thinking of installing Debian on my Mac just because I miss the misery of getting it all to work right.

Did you actually install a Linux distro, or did you just compile KDE to run instead of the Mac desktop on OS X?

Whatever. Make sure you have given your computer a domain name. I have been unable to find where to do this in OS X other than during installation, but it is a simple change in Linux. The error message seems to be asking for your computer to call itself "fred.network", not just "fred." OS X defaults to a domain of .local, so you might try that. Now, I'm not sure this will work, but it's worth a try.

I installed KDE from the Fink project which contains pre-compiled binaries that run under the Mac X-Windows (X11) layer.

http://fink.sourceforge.net/

The mac has a domain name (boing.local), but kmail just doesn't seem to want to find it and I can't see where I tell it. You can change this using the "Sharing" preference pane.

However, postfix is working fine as a mail agent, so I just use localhost to send mail.

If you want to run unix binaries on your Mac, perhaps the easiest way is:

Fink Commander

This is a GUI to Fink and lets you install pre-compiled binaries, or download the source for local compilation.

Have fun!

I installed KDE from the Fink project which contains pre-compiled binaries that run under the Mac X-Windows (X11) layer.

Interesting. Do you have any past Linux experience? It sounds like you do. IIRC, Linux mail apps don't do the actual mail sending themselves, but use another app to do it for them, like sendmail and postfix. It's the Linux way, to do one thing and do it very well. But I could be wrong. It sounds to me like you're doing it right, though.

Have you done a tcpdump to see what Kmail is doing on port 25 when you try to send mail? Is it able to actually contact the mail server?

I have no interest in running *nix apps on my Mac just to run *nix apps. No, if I start to play I'll do a dual boot with OS X and Ubuntu Debian. I'm resisting it, though. it's been a long time since I messed with a Linux installation, and I miss it, I really do, but I promised my sweetie...

I don't really have any past Linux experience. I installed it on a PC at work, years ago and just for fun.

I run a few Unix apps on the Mac just because reasonably priced alternatives aren't available. For example, The GIMP image editor is an excellent and free Photoshop alternative. I also use a Unix binary to burn CD's.

I originally installed KDE just to have a look and see if I could get its various components running. My only failure was with kmail. As I said, I'm able to send mail from the command line using Postfix, so the problem with kmail must be something different. If I figure it out, I'll post here.

Incidentally, the KDE browser (Konqueror) is blazingly fast compared with any native Mac browser that I've tried. But, do I really want to fire up KDE every time I want to browse? I guess not.

I don't really have any past Linux experience.

Incidentally, the KDE browser (Konqueror) is blazingly fast compared with any native Mac browser that I've tried. But, do I really want to fire up KDE every time I want to browse? I guess not.

Yeah, it sounds like a Kmail configuration problem problem, but as I have no access to any Kmail I can't help. Try the tcpdump and see if Kmail even tries to connect to anything.

Have you tried Camino as your browser? I'm happy with Safari, but I have heard great things about Camino.