Hundreds of thousands of activists protest planned execution of Troy Davis

News_Editor

Hundreds of thousands of activists protest planned execution of Troy Davis

2011-09-18 00:24:05 GMT+7 (ICT)

LONDON (BNO NEWS) -- Activists have been campaigning extensively to stop the execution of Troy Davis, an American man who is scheduled to receive a lethal injection on Wednesday for allegedly murdering a Georgia police officer in 1991.

Amnesty International said on Friday that more than 660,000 signatures have been delivered to authorities in Georgia to urge them to commute the death sentence. In addition, vigils and events have been held at approximately 300 locations around the world.

The death row inmate is set to have a clemency hearing on Monday. If clemency is rejected, he is due to be executed two days later, on Wednesday.

Davis was sentenced to death in 1991 for the murder of police officer Mark Allen MacPhail in Savannah, Georgia. Since his 1991 trial, seven of nine key witnesses have recanted or changed their testimony, some alleging police coercion.

"Monday's hearing gives Georgia's Board of Pardons and Paroles the opportunity finally to grant clemency in this case," said Guadalupe Marengo, Deputy Director of the Americas Regional Program at Amnesty International's International Secretariat.  

"When it looked at this case in 2007, the Board said that it would not allow the execution to proceed if its members had any doubts about the prisoner’s guilt," she said. "We trust that it will recognize that doubts persist four years later."

In July 2007, the Georgia State Board of Pardons and Paroles issued a stay 24 hours before Davis' then-planned execution. He faced two other execution dates in 2008, both of which were stayed by the courts, the London-based rights group said.

Georgia has over 100 people on its death row and three people have been executed so far this year. Currently, the United States has more than 3,200 people on its death rows, and has executed more than 1,200 prisoners since resuming judicial killing in 1977.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-09-18

Death sentence should never-ever be used in cases of doubt.

Simple really.

Indeed. Kenny Richey from my home city of Edinburgh was on death row for about 20 years in Ohio, there was serious flaws in his conviction since day one, however he had to fight for all those years to clear his name and he did, with the help of a lawyer from a different state who had nothing to do with the case!

I would say that every country reserves the right to execute it's own citizens for wrong doing, even though most people disagree, myself included! The way the US system works is simply barbaric, in some cases guys serve out 20 odd years then get killed?? That is 2 sentences served. Compare with China, executions are carried out straight away after sentence.

Indeed. Kenny Richey from my home city of Edinburgh was on death row for about 20 years in Ohio, there was serious flaws in his conviction since day one, however he had to fight for all those years to clear his name and he did, with the help of a lawyer from a different state who had nothing to do with the case!

I would say that every country reserves the right to execute it's own citizens for wrong doing, even though most people disagree, myself included! The way the US system works is simply barbaric, in some cases guys serve out 20 odd years then get killed?? That is 2 sentences served. Compare with China, executions are carried out straight away after sentence.

So the US system of permitting numerous appeals through all the various state and federal courts is worse than a bullet in the head immediately after conviction?

If we did it the Chinese way, your friend, Mr. Richey, would never have had the opportunity to become cleared and subsequently released.

Your's is a rather strange way to look at the justice system.

Simple really.

The 20 odd years seems to be the result of the appeals process, not some barbaric double sentencing as you claim. The Chinese system may seem to be more efficient regarding money saved (imprisonment cost) but, what if more evidence is revealed AFTER the speedy execution? There are many examples available for reading on the 'net showing convictions being overturned and "guilty" people being found innocent and released.

Simple really.

The 20 odd years seems to be the result of the appeals process, not some barbaric double sentencing as you claim. The Chinese system may seem to be more efficient regarding money saved (imprisonment cost) but, what if more evidence is revealed AFTER the speedy execution? There are many examples available for reading on the 'net showing convictions being overturned and "guilty" people being found innocent and released.

The main argument against the death sentence is indeed: if they are proved innocent and are still alive, they can be released.............!

If not...................the state has committed the same offence with which the innocent person has been charged.

It's not rocket science.

Read this article in The Independent, another example of people 20 years on 'death row'

The man who wants to become India's new executioner

An acute shortage of hangmen is forcing Indian prisons to consider novices for the sombre job

. . . .India is in search of an executioner and Mr Kumar may be in the frame. The nation has long been in two minds about the death penalty, reserved only for "the rarest of rare" cases, and has not executed anyone for seven years. There are presently an estimated 350 prisoners on death row, each uncertain of his fate.

. . . The first of a flurry of executions may take place in Tamil Nadu, where three men convicted of plotting the 1991 assassination of former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi, the son of Indira Gandhi, were scheduled to have been hanged on September 9 until a court ordered a two-month stay. Jail officials have said a member of the prison staff will carry out the executions if they proceed.

read more

anyone else seen Pierrepoint: The Last Hangman movie with Timothy Spall as Albert Pierrepoint

He was not in fact the last hangman in UK.

LONDON (BNO NEWS) -- Activists have been campaigning extensively to stop the execution of Troy Davis, an American man who is scheduled to receive a lethal injection on Wednesday for allegedly murdering a Georgia police officer in 1991.

"allegedly"? Wasn't it proved in a court of law?

I'm all for the death penalty and think it isn't used enough. However, it should be used in cases where it is obvious - much evidence and many witnesses - and it must be done swiftly. I would also execute some thieves.

Man to be executed despite changed testimonies

7:56 AM Tuesday Sep 20, 2011

Troy Davis was convicted nearly two decades ago and sentenced to die for the 1989 slaying of Savannah police officer Mark MacPhail.

Several witnesses have since recanted testimony.

Unless Georgia intervenes, Davis will be executed on Thursday.

Link to video

What is the penalty for bearing false witness that sends someone to death row? That should be pretty stiff - although it might also keep people from coming forward later if they were ever to lie on the witness stand in the first place.

Man to be executed despite changed testimonies

7:56 AM Tuesday Sep 20, 2011

Troy Davis was convicted nearly two decades ago and sentenced to die for the 1989 slaying of Savannah police officer Mark MacPhail.

Several witnesses have since recanted testimony.

Unless Georgia intervenes, Davis will be executed on Thursday.

Link to video

What is the penalty for bearing false witness that sends someone to death row? That should be pretty stiff - although it might also keep people from coming forward later if they were ever to lie on the witness stand in the first place.

Just for the record...Davis was convicted by a jury of his peers for murdering a police officer.

All appellate courts have so far upheld his conviction in accordance with the US Constitution.

Edited by chuckd

Sounds like the guy was convicted by a jury of his peers based on false testimony. When 7 of 9 witnesses recant and claim pressure from the police etc, it makes you wonder.

As with most areas, the appellate courts seem to dislike overturning things as it gives the appearance that the original court rulings were tainted and could lead to a disbelief that the judicial system works.

Sounds like the guy was convicted by a jury of his peers based on false testimony. When 7 of 9 witnesses recant and claim pressure from the police etc, it makes you wonder.

As with most areas, the appellate courts seem to dislike overturning things as it gives the appearance that the original court rulings were tainted and could lead to a disbelief that the judicial system works.

To hear convicts talk, not a one of them was ever guilty. They were all innocent victims.

But the cop is still dead, obviously killed by an innocent man.

The system appears to have failed with this man. Kept alive for 20 years to go through 'appeals processes' of all sorts. Now, when there sure seems to be more than reasonable doubt cast on his guilt, the authorities aren't willing to go that last mile and afford this man a new trial. The very least they should do considering the length of time he has spent behind bars and the numerous witnesses's that have recanted their statements since the original conviction.

I watched an interview with the deceased mans mother. I feel for her and am sorry for her loss but I believe her hardline stance [blinded by her love for her son] on the case and her pushing to have the sentence carried out ASAP has had a big influence on the authorities decision to proceed with the excecution.

IMO the mere fact that he has come within less that 48 hours to live [surely believing he was about to be exectuted] on three occasion, coupled with his 20 years served so far is enough punishment for this crime even if he did commit it. One can only imagine the torture that this man has gone through on those 3 occasions.

For the record: I am Pro death penalty. But this case seems to be less than water tight. And as I said I I feel he has done his punishment already.If he did do it.

I am not a big fan of the death penalty, but I wonder if there would be much said if he was serving a life sentence? Seven of the nine people recanted their testimony, but what exactly did they recant? All of it, part of it? Is the evidence of the two remaining people strong enough for a conviction?

The Courts are fairly methodical in weighing these things. They are in no hurry for things to be done. If doubts or judicial errors exist, then he wouldn't be put to death. The courts are weighing the evidence of the conviction, I believe, not the sentence. They are two different things.

The system appears to have failed with this man. Kept alive for 20 years to go through 'appeals processes' of all sorts. Now, when there sure seems to be more than reasonable doubt cast on his guilt, the authorities aren't willing to go that last mile and afford this man a new trial. The very least they should do considering the length of time he has spent behind bars and the numerous witnesses's that have recanted their statements since the original conviction.

I watched an interview with the deceased mans mother. I feel for her and am sorry for her loss but I believe her hardline stance [blinded by her love for her son] on the case and her pushing to have the sentence carried out ASAP has had a big influence on the authorities decision to proceed with the excecution.

IMO the mere fact that he has come within less that 48 hours to live [surely believing he was about to be exectuted] on three occasion, coupled with his 20 years served so far is enough punishment for this crime even if he did commit it. One can only imagine the torture that this man has gone through on those 3 occasions.

For the record: I am Pro death penalty. But this case seems to be less than water tight. And as I said I I feel he has done his punishment already.If he did do it.

The average length of time served on death row in the US as of 2009 was 169 months (14.08 years). His time served is over the norm but hardly outrageous. The appeals process in the US for death penalty cases is extremely lengthy and time consuming.

While you may feel his serving 20 years is sufficient penalty for murdering a policeman, the jury recommended the death penalty and it was so given.

The victim's family has served a 20 year sentence of not having a husband and father but there seems to be little sympathy for them.

At some point in time, justice should be served. He seems to have reached the end of the appeals process and the time for justice would appear to be now.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/time-death-row

The average length of time served on death row in the US as of 2009 was 169 months (14.08 years). His time served is over the norm but hardly outrageous. The appeals process in the US for death penalty cases is extremely lengthy and time consuming.

While you may feel his serving 20 years is sufficient penalty for murdering a policeman, the jury recommended the death penalty and it was so given.

The victim's family has served a 20 year sentence of not having a husband and father but there seems to be little sympathy for them.

At some point in time, justice should be served. He seems to have reached the end of the appeals process and the time for justice would appear to be now.

http://www.deathpena.../time-death-row

I understand you and your point of view. Hell !! I even agree with you on most of it. However you seem to be not willing to take into account the fact that 7 of the 9 witnesses have recanted their testamony. That is the majority. Coupled with there being no forensic evidence, that surely seems to be more than 'reasonable doubt' and should see him at least getting a retrial. Let it be determined by a group of his peers.

http://www.deathpena.../time-death-row

I understand you and your point of view. Hell !! I even agree with you on most of it. However you seem to be not willing to take into account the fact that 7 of the 9 witnesses have recanted their testamony. That is the majority. Coupled with there being no forensic evidence, that surely seems to be more than 'reasonable doubt' and should see him at least getting a retrial. Let it be determined by a group of his peers.

I know where you are coming from but if an appellate judge does not deem the witness' retractions as credible, who am I to question that judge from half way around the world?

By the same token, it is interesting to note the clothing Davis was wearing at the crime scene was found in his mother's washing machine when the police arrested him. Since the mother would not give permission for the police to search the house, any blood or other physical evidence was not permissible and was not allowed into evidence at trial.

Davis' execution had been stayed temporarily. It was said that the order to stay the execution came within mintues of the sentence being carried out. Another near death experience for this convicted man. Let's hope they have a thorough investigation/ retrial so as to confirm or deny his guilt in the murder once and for all before going down this road again.

What a surprise. Maybe Davis IS guilty. :o

It has been claimed -- in The New York Times and Time magazine, for example -- that there was no "physical evidence" connecting Davis to the crimes that night.

Davis pulled out a gun and shot two strangers in public. What "physical evidence" were they expecting? No houses were broken into, no cars stolen, no rapes or fistfights accompanied the shootings. Where exactly would you look for DNA? And to prove what? I suppose it would be nice if the shell casings from both shootings that night matched. Oh wait -- they did. That's "physical evidence."

It's true that the bulk of the evidence against Davis was eyewitness testimony. That tends to happen when you shoot someone in a busy Burger King parking lot.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=46347

Edited by Ulysses G.

Davis was executed by lethal injection about 1100 Thai time today.

His final appeal was denied by the US Supreme Court. It is interesting to note the Georgia Supreme Court denied, for the third time, his appeal earlier in the evening and he could have been executed some three hours earlier than he was. This delay was due to the fact the State of Georgia was waiting in case the US Supreme Court decided to hear the case. Georgia delayed the execution to give one more chance to the man.

Davis had four full appeals, three of which reached the Georgia Supreme Court with two of them reaching the US Supreme Court. Davis was hardly railroaded and was afforded his full appeal processes.

One rhetorical question I would like to pose is about the 7 witnesses that recanted the testimony they gave at the original trial.

Were they lying then...or are they lying now.

With most of the witnesses recanting or changing their evidence there clearly must be doubt over his conviction. Also forensic evidence was non existent.

In 2010 only eight countries executed people on a regular basis, ( about once a month). China, Iran, North Korea, Yemen, USA, Saudi Arabia, Libya, Syria.

"You shall be known by the company you keep".

Not a very accurate assesment. :whistling:

Now the media claim that seven of the nine witnesses against Davis at trial have recanted.

First of all, the state presented 34 witnesses against Davis -- not nine -- which should give you some idea of how punctilious the media are about their facts in death penalty cases.

Among the witnesses who did not recant a word of their testimony against Davis were three members of the Air Force, who saw the shooting from their van in the Burger King drive-in lane. The airman who saw events clearly enough to positively identify Davis as the shooter explained on cross-examination, "You don't forget someone that stands over and shoots someone."

Not a very accurate assesment. :whistling:

Now the media claim that seven of the nine witnesses against Davis at trial have recanted.

First of all, the state presented 34 witnesses against Davis -- not nine -- which should give you some idea of how punctilious the media are about their facts in death penalty cases.

Among the witnesses who did not recant a word of their testimony against Davis were three members of the Air Force, who saw the shooting from their van in the Burger King drive-in lane. The airman who saw events clearly enough to positively identify Davis as the shooter explained on cross-examination, "You don't forget someone that stands over and shoots someone."

As I said earlier. Were they lying then...or are they lying now?

Some years back, I was aware of a prime witness who decided to recant her testimony. Charges were pressed against her for perjury. Changing your testimony is one thing, but recanting can cause problems.

Surely this depends upon the circumstances in which she gave her original testimony. In the case of Troy Davis witnesses have claimed that police bullied them into giving false evidence that implicated him. Seven witnesses have claimed that this happened. This is known as ' Noble cause corruption'. When a heinous murder is carried out, (especially when a policeman is the victim), there is enormous public pressure on the investigating authorities to solve the case quickly. Police officers convince themselves that they have found the perpetrator, even though there is no proof whatsoever, and then set about manufacturing evidence to prove their case. I recommend the writings of the late Ludovic Kennedy, a British journalist and broadcaster who devoted his life to exposing miscarriages of justice. He was very much an establishment figure,( Eton, Oxford University), certainly no hand wringing liberal. He spent tireless hours exposing the miscarriages of justice in cases where people were given the death penalty for crimes of which they were completely innocent. Mainly in the UK, but also America, the most notorious of which was the case of Richard Hauptmann, who was framed for the kidnapping and murder of Charles Lindbergh's baby son. The book is called ' The airman and the carpenter' if any one is interested. In the Uk he exposed many cases, including The Birmingham six, The Guildford Four, who although eventually proved innocent would certainly have hanged if the death penalty had still been in place at the time of their trial. The accounts of their ordeal at the hands of the police during their interrogation is truly horrific. Even though a few years after their thirty year sentences the true perpetrators of the crime were caught, ( the IRA active service unit) who were arrested after the Balcombe Street Siege who told the authorities that they carried out the Birmingham and Guildford atrocities and that innocent people were in prison for the crimes, the powers that be did nothing. The Master Of The Rolls, Lord Denning, the top legal officer in the country even went on record as saying that it was better that innocent people were imprisoned for life than public faith in the honesty of the police was undermined. A truly wicked man. Thankfully, due to these and many other cases from thirty or forty years ago, Derek Bentley, Timothy Evans etc, the rules of interrogation and evidence have been tightened up, making it much more difficult for 'Noble cause corruption' to take place. I would ask people to imagine what it must be like to sit in the condemned cell the night before your execution, knowing that you are innocent, knowing that the evidence has been manufactured, and nobody believes you.

It is worth remembering that if 99per cent of all convicted prisoners have been rightly convicted, and 1 per cent not, that means in a prison population of say 50,000, no less than 500 shouldn't be there.

What a surprise. Maybe Davis IS guilty. :o

It has been claimed -- in The New York Times and Time magazine, for example -- that there was no "physical evidence" connecting Davis to the crimes that night.

Davis pulled out a gun and shot two strangers in public. What "physical evidence" were they expecting? No houses were broken into, no cars stolen, no rapes or fistfights accompanied the shootings. Where exactly would you look for DNA? And to prove what? I suppose it would be nice if the shell casings from both shootings that night matched. Oh wait -- they did. That's "physical evidence."

It's true that the bulk of the evidence against Davis was eyewitness testimony. That tends to happen when you shoot someone in a busy Burger King parking lot.

http://www.humaneven...le.php?id=46347

What police dept was looking for DNA evidence back in 1989?