Little Advise Please

Hi All,

I am a british passport holder (34 yrs old) and i am married to a Thai lady.

i came to live in Thailand just a little over 1 year ago and it is fast approching the visa run time for me and i am a little confused as to what my options are.

i came to Thailand on a multi entry NON "O" marrage cert visa issued in Hull uk and since i have been here in Thailand i have picked up a job teaching English at a local govenment school. the school has helped me to obtain a work permit and that has been issued and a stamp as been placed in my passport saying i have a work permit.

i would like to go to Loas to get a new multi entry 1 year NON "O" visa but i keep getting reports from poeple that i will not be issued one because i can't work on a non "o" visa (the work permit was issued on a non "O" visa)

I also keep getting told that i will need to show 100k in the bank (i don't have 100K in the bank) and lastly that i need to have little yellow address book for where i live (i have no such document as the wife's familly own the land my house is built on)

does anyone have any idea what my options may be ?

Thanks

Dan

Do you make 40,000baht a month if so get a extension of stay for marriage. Check the requirements for non-b visa since you are working and have a permit you could qualify for a non-b. You can work on a non-o visa, the only one not to work on is a Non OA visa but there have been reports of people getting work permits even on these.

Dan141, based on the information you have provided your option is an application for a one-year extension of stay for the reason of employment. Check with your local immigration office what documents they require for this type of extension. It will be the application form, passport photographs, copy of your work permit, and some documents from your employer, and the fee of 1,900 Baht.

As said employment as teacher allows extension of stay without the normal nationality income requirement of other jobs so would be the logical option and not require any border crossings as issued by immigration so only 90 day address reports would be required.

Thanks for the quick replies all,

No i dont earn 40k per month ( i live out in the sticks and the schools out here can't afford that kind of money) I do not qualify for the non "B" visa as i don't have a degree (i only have a TEFL which was fine for the school and the work permit.)

I did try and get an answer out of the nearist immigration office (Chiang Mai) last time i went in to town and was told that i can't have the extention of stay visa that they issue for the same reason i can't get a "B" visa - No degree.

If these options are closed to me, i think i will just try my luck in Loas and hope that they can issue me with the required visa. i will take all the documentation i do have, work permit, school contract, marrage cert , copy of thai wife id card etc and hope for the best. :/

I really dont want to have to fly back to the UK but i know if the worst comes to the worst i can always go back to Hull and get another 1yr issued over there with only a marrage cert and the GBP100. fee. ( just a shame it will cost me an airfare back to Europe.)

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Vientiane in the end and a single entry non-o was all they would give me - they where not issuing multi entry visa's on the day i went (just my luck) i was travelling with an American who had all the paperwork for a non-b and she was only issued a single entry non b visa :(

So it will be a Xmas trip back to Laos for me :(

The only good thing to come out of the trip was the finding of BeerLaos Dark - best beer i have drank in a good while. :)

may try Savannakhet on my next trip but it looks a bit of a pain to get to from Lamphun i will have to look into the logistics.

thanks

Dan

Im sure the experts will correct me if im wrong but,

i think you can also extend a non-o visa for a further 60 days after your 90 days are up if your married.

If that's the case, at least you can stay for 150days before having to do another visa run to Laos.

I went to Vientiane in the end and a single entry non-o was all they would give me - they where not issuing multi entry visa's on the day i went (just my luck) i was travelling with an American who had all the paperwork for a non-b and she was only issued a single entry non b visa :(

So it will be a Xmas trip back to Laos for me :(

The only good thing to come out of the trip was the finding of BeerLaos Dark - best beer i have drank in a good while. :)

may try Savannakhet on my next trip but it looks a bit of a pain to get to from Lamphun i will have to look into the logistics.

thanks

Dan

Vientianne doesn't give multiples, only single. Only Savanakhet does issue multiple and Kula Lumphur (if you can show 100,000.)

Im sure the experts will correct me if im wrong but,

i think you can also extend a non-o visa for a further 60 days after your 90 days are up if your married.

If that's the case, at least you can stay for 150days before having to do another visa run to Laos.

Correct, for 1,900 baht it can be extended by 60 days if you visit immigration with your wife and papers.