150 Baht For Kra Pao Gai On Sukhumvit?

Jayroo

I just got quoted 150 baht for Kra Pao Gai on Sukhumvit around soi 11, <deleted>? this is a first for me, not just one, but 3 vendors quoted the same price... I usually pay 50 baht even at 5am in the morning, <deleted> are these idiotic thais thinking? has anyone else come across this recently?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very smart. Many tourists and expats in this area who will pay 150b, no problem.

Isn't this area infested with nasty rats crawling from the sewer and you want to eat street side where they wash the plates in one of those plastic buckets sitting on the curb? Appetizing.

Edited by farang000999

B) I just had to reply to this post. I spent 2 1/2 months in BKK on a job on Sukumvit in 2009. I used to stop off a little street food stand some evenings ang get a Pad Kapaow Gai. I noticed there were two signs one in Thai and one in English. I don't read Thai but was able to figure out that it was the same menu with one "Thai" price and another higher price in "English". One night while waiting for my food I asked in Thai nlanguage there was one price for Thai's and another for Falangs. Eventually a girl who was waiting for her food eventually said "Ka" meaning yes. Then they commented that I was Gaeng smart in Thai. I laughed it off and still paid the Farang price.

My Thai wife later came and joined me from the US. When she asked the girl the same question she said that she makes the food bigger for the Farang and charges more. We joked a bit about it and after that I was always charged the Thai price.

I am not surprised one bit to hear this and absolutely believe it. I was back in BKK at the same area last summer in June. Attitudes have certaily changed and the vendors and everyone else has gotten in on charging the Farangs more. This is nothing new but has just been brought to a new level. Thailand has grown and modernized greatly in the last few years and everyone wants a piecr of the pie. I can understand that inflation has increased prices,but this is at the prices at a restaraunt or even some hotels for Thai food. Last summer we ate quite a bit at the food court in the basement of Robinsons at soi 19 where the prices are set. This new attitude is why I am glad that we left Thailand in 2007. I am sure that many casual tourist have no problem paying 150 baht for a Pad Kapaow on the street.

LL

LL

It is called the free market. Let every vendor charge what they want and let the free market figure it out. If charging 50 baht is so much smarter than the vendor who charges 50 baht will surely put all the other vendors out of business. See, the free market solves everything. Hmm, seems like a good business for a mia farang.

There are a lot of dumb tourists and local farang around that area so I don't see a problem with food stalls charging whatever they want. I see people whining about the price and then continuing to eat at the same stall without voting with their feet which is far dumber.

Idiotic, no I don't think so…. bloody annoying, yes! For whatever the reason you are given for being charged the 'farang' price, it's a form of 'rip-off' nothing new, those street vendors are in good company; Taxi drivers, bar owners, petrol pump attendance, the list goes on, however this form of rip-off is not confined to Thailand.

I see it like this; If you pay 150 Bt instead of 25 Bt for a meal from a street vendor as a tourist, count yourself lucky if that all you get ripped off while on your holiday here………If you live in Thailand and are paying this, then more fool you and no they don't respect you for paying this.

I remember visiting Madame Tussauds in London as a kid and while queuing to get in there were vendors walking up and down hawking cans of Coke for a quid.

This was in 1977.

Yes, but that price was for everyone.

I find more and more people are trying the two tier price system. I usually refuse to pay farang price but what with motorbikes, taxis, mom and pop stores joining the bandwagon it's becoming more and more annoying.

Edited by petedk

I remember visiting Madame Tussauds in London as a kid and while queuing to get in there were vendors walking up and down hawking cans of Coke for a quid.

This was in 1977.

Yes, but that price was for everyone.

I find more and more people are trying the two tier price system. I usually refuse to pay farang price but what with motorbikes, taxis, mom and pop stores joining the bandwagon it's becoming more and more annoying.

I hear ya.

great, a pointless whine thread that will go on and on about two-tier, duel-pricing, double-pricing . . . haven't had one of these in at least a week. Waiting for the usual 'racist, and discrimination' bleats.

To OP - no one makes you pay that price, do they?

What is 'idiotic' about it? Has their revenue decreased?

Wait for the Olympic Games in London next year - plenty of 'idiotic' people there who'll 10x hotel prices and so on.

Just like the RWC in NZ right now - some hotels changed rates from $200 to $1500 per night - still sold out, beer at rugby games changed from $4 to $7.50 (and worse - Heineken only!) no shortage of your 'idiots' then.

it happens. Get over it.

Edited by Atmos

great, a pointless whine thread that will go on and on about two-tier, duel-pricing, double-pricing . . . haven't had one of these in at least a week. Waiting for the usual 'racist, and discrimination' bleats.

Wait for the Olympic Games in London next year - plenty of 'idiotic' people there who'll 10x hotel prices and so on.

Just like the RWC in NZ right now - some hotels changed rates from $200 to $1500 per night - still sold out, beer at rugby games changed from $4 to $7.50 (and worse - Heineken only!) no shortage of your 'idiots' then.

it happens. Get over it.

Agree...

This is completely pointless!

Same like complaining to have to pay THB 250 for a coconut milk, in a five star hotel... when you can have it for 30 on the street

"I just got quoted 150 baht for Kra Pao Gai on Sukhumvit around soi 11, <deleted>? this is a first for me, not just one, but 3 vendors quoted the same price... I usually pay 50 baht even at 5am in the morning, <deleted> are these idiotic thais thinking? has anyone else come across this recently"

You didn't say if you paid the Bt150. Shame on you if you did.

it happens. Get over it.

Agree...

This is completely pointless!

Same like complaining to have to pay THB 250 for a coconut milk, in a five star hotel... when you can have it for 30 on the street

Are you crazy!, street price for coconut now 15bht, shop prices 20bht.

it happens. Get over it.

Correct.........can anyone tell me of ANY TOURIST LOCATION IN THE WORLD THAT DOES NOT HAVE INFLATED PRICES!!

While your at it.....can you tell me of any tourist who will automatically know the local economy price of every place they visit????

While your at that......do you think they care??????

They are on vacation..........here in Thailand they are DELIGHTED AT HOW CHEAP IT IS COMPARED TO THEIR HOME COUNTRY!!!! Even in tourist hotspots..........

So don't call tourists idiots.....they're on vacation.......leave them alone.

The real idiots are the farangs that live in Thailand and incessantly complain about it. :bah:

why do you even pay 50 Baht ? 25 to 30 near me. Just go 7-11 they have it for 29 Baht

30 baht are you crazy? There is a small town without electricity in Mae Sot where they charge 10 baht.

You'd only have to make the trip up there about 20 times to start saving money.

They are on vacation..........here in Thailand they are DELIGHTED AT HOW CHEAP IT IS COMPARED TO THEIR HOME COUNTRY!!!! Even in tourist hotspots..........

That depends. Thai street food portions are about 1/3 a normal portion at a Thai restaurant in the US. Thai restaurants in the US generally don't do rice plates but here is the typical breakdown:

3 x 150 at Bangkok rip off place -- 450 baht

1 USA portion plus a la carte rice -- 300 baht (estimated)

Translation -- yes many tourists WILL realize it is a rip off. On the other hand, there is value to tasting Thai food IN Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

"I just got quoted 150 baht for Kra Pao Gai on Sukhumvit around soi 11, <deleted>? this is a first for me, not just one, but 3 vendors quoted the same price... I usually pay 50 baht even at 5am in the morning, <deleted> are these idiotic thais thinking? has anyone else come across this recently"

No way, after the 3rd one said 150, I jumped in a cab and went home, and no I'm not on holiday here either..

No way, after the 3rd one said 150, I jumped in a cab and went home, and no I'm not on holiday here either..

i believe i asked you where, i want to see for myself

B) I just had to reply to this post. I spent 2 1/2 months in BKK on a job on Sukumvit in 2009. I used to stop off a little street food stand some evenings ang get a Pad Kapaow Gai. I noticed there were two signs one in Thai and one in English. I don't read Thai but was able to figure out that it was the same menu with one "Thai" price and another higher price in "English". One night while waiting for my food I asked in Thai nlanguage there was one price for Thai's and another for Falangs. Eventually a girl who was waiting for her food eventually said "Ka" meaning yes. Then they commented that I was Gaeng smart in Thai. I laughed it off and still paid the Farang price.

My Thai wife later came and joined me from the US. When she asked the girl the same question she said that she makes the food bigger for the Farang and charges more. We joked a bit about it and after that I was always charged the Thai price.

I am not surprised one bit to hear this and absolutely believe it. I was back in BKK at the same area last summer in June. Attitudes have certaily changed and the vendors and everyone else has gotten in on charging the Farangs more. This is nothing new but has just been brought to a new level. Thailand has grown and modernized greatly in the last few years and everyone wants a piecr of the pie. I can understand that inflation has increased prices,but this is at the prices at a restaraunt or even some hotels for Thai food. Last summer we ate quite a bit at the food court in the basement of Robinsons at soi 19 where the prices are set. This new attitude is why I am glad that we left Thailand in 2007. I am sure that many casual tourist have no problem paying 150 baht for a Pad Kapaow on the street.

LL

LL

Shorter version:

Q: What's the difference between ordering 'fried rice' and 'khao phad'?

A: 100 Baht

it happens. Get over it.

Correct.........can anyone tell me of ANY TOURIST LOCATION IN THE WORLD THAT DOES NOT HAVE INFLATED PRICES!!

While your at it.....can you tell me of any tourist who will automatically know the local economy price of every place they visit????

While your at that......do you think they care??????

So don't call tourists idiots.....they're on vacation.......leave them alone.

The real idiots are the farangs that live in Thailand and incessantly complain about it. :bah:

While you're at it,you don't own a noodle stall by any chance?. A lot to learn.:rolleyes: