150 Baht For Kra Pao Gai On Sukhumvit?

Jayroo

If you're really an expat, stay away from tourist areas- otherwise be tarred with the same brush! :P:D

Absolutely.

It`s the same in London and the world over. Buy something or use any services within a tourist area, expect to pay tourist prices.

I have lived here long enough to have a good knowledge of prices. The first thing I do if prices are not marked is to ask; HOW MUCH.

If I consider the price too high or that I`m being ripped off than I just smile, say thank you very much and walk out. It`s that simple.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is called the free market. Let every vendor charge what they want and let the free market figure it out. If charging 50 baht is so much smarter than the vendor who charges 50 baht will surely put all the other vendors out of business. See, the free market solves everything. Hmm, seems like a good business for a mia farang.

But also unfortunately in Thailand if you do a lower price and the other traders dont like it Im sure theyll happily kick the sh*te out of you, its called price fixing.

B) I just had to reply to this post. I spent 2 1/2 months in BKK on a job on Sukumvit in 2009. I used to stop off a little street food stand some evenings ang get a Pad Kapaow Gai. I noticed there were two signs one in Thai and one in English. I don't read Thai but was able to figure out that it was the same menu with one "Thai" price and another higher price in "English". One night while waiting for my food I asked in Thai nlanguage there was one price for Thai's and another for Falangs. Eventually a girl who was waiting for her food eventually said "Ka" meaning yes. Then they commented that I was Gaeng smart in Thai. I laughed it off and still paid the Farang price.

My Thai wife later came and joined me from the US. When she asked the girl the same question she said that she makes the food bigger for the Farang and charges more. We joked a bit about it and after that I was always charged the Thai price.

I am not surprised one bit to hear this and absolutely believe it. I was back in BKK at the same area last summer in June. Attitudes have certaily changed and the vendors and everyone else has gotten in on charging the Farangs more. This is nothing new but has just been brought to a new level. Thailand has grown and modernized greatly in the last few years and everyone wants a piecr of the pie. I can understand that inflation has increased prices,but this is at the prices at a restaraunt or even some hotels for Thai food. Last summer we ate quite a bit at the food court in the basement of Robinsons at soi 19 where the prices are set. This new attitude is why I am glad that we left Thailand in 2007. I am sure that many casual tourist have no problem paying 150 baht for a Pad Kapaow on the street.

LL

LL

Sometimes on this forum I feel as though I'm living in a parallel Thai universe to a lot of the posters here. First you intimate you asked for the food in Thai, so that would negate a lot of the 'just off the plane' perception of you from the vendor. I spent six months in down town Bangkok last year and always eat Thai streetside. Wherever I ended up for lunch in my daily wanderings I was always charged the Thai (correct) price, even though I was mostly the only white customer. Yes I would ask in Thai, but even when I was fresh off the boat and couldn't speak a word of it I was never charged 150 baht from a Thai streetside?! Watered down Thai slop for the tourists in Phuket/Kao Lak etc, but never a pavement caff or even an indoor one specifically catering to Thais (no English menu, in fact, most had no menus).

I have noticed a LOT of gouging 'due to the floods' here on Phuket?!, but have been here long enough to just tell them 'mai ow' and move on.