Let's Learn One Word A Day.

Neeranam

1 hour ago, DavidHouston said:

Here's a new one for me "อากาศ" - "air pocket" or turbulence. From today's newspaper  คม-ชัด-ลึก :

"สายการบินรัสเซีย Aeroflot ระบุว่า มีผู้โดยสารหลายรายที่ได้รับบาดเจ็บจากเหตุการณ์ตกหลุมอากาศอย่างรุนแรง ก่อนถึงกรุงเทพราว 40 นาที ส่วนใหญ่ไม่คาดเข็มขัดนิรภัย"

The Russian airline "Aeroflot" announced today that most of the passengers who were injured as a result of the violent air pocket [or turbulence] encountered 40 minutes before reaching Bangkok were not wearing seat belts.

i looked closer into the 2 words.

หลุม  = (lum)  Cavity, ditch, pothole, hollow

อากาศ  = (agat)  weather , sky, gas, air (outside) climate

• Like 1

On August 26, 2559 BE at 11:18 PM, Lampang2 said:

กะ-เทย

not a trace of R in ga-teuy

not in the spelling or the sound

many postings from you being plain confusing , off the chart

Excuse my interjecting as I have not read the entire thread.... but as to the Kgai sound, I have always transliterated it as Kg - as it is neither a full K or G to my ear but sort of a hard G but I think of it as one sound that combines the two... KGAI = chicken.. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Excuse my interjecting as I have not read the entire thread.... but as to the Kgai sound, I have always transliterated it as Kg - as it is neither a full K or G to my ear but sort of a hard G but I think of it as one sound that combines the two... KGAI = chicken.. 

ไก่

Gai.

Pronouncements depending on surrounding vowels..

Recommended "learning Thai from a white guy"

He has good explanations / rules for pronunciation, also very detailed descriptions on how to achieve correct sound.

• 3 months later...

Briefly because it. is not in the scope of this topic. Look up the verb minister and you will see that the root is different. กระทรวง comes from 'group' whereas ministery in the church sense comes from the verb to aid.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Things have sure changed around here.

Yep... it's a much bigger place than you probably remember.

Due to current Thai politics and certain laws being exercised we have to be a bit more careful with our discussions than we were 10+ years ago.

The Forum Rules have also been updated to reflect those concerns.

It is however still a fun place to be. 

• Like 1

On 20/12/2016 at 8:34 AM, bannork said:

Quite right David. Learning to read Thai is not difficult and it helps one's pronunciation immeasurably.

Back to learning one word a day

สำออย  to whine, grumble ,moan 

and then we can have ทำสำออย to spoil or pamper

สำออย sampoi

On 02/05/2017 at 6:01 PM, Lampang2 said:

i looked closer into the 2 words.

หลุม  = (lum)  Cavity, ditch, pothole, hollow

อากาศ  = (agat)  weather , sky, gas, air (outside) climate

Lum is a word you hear all the time at the Issan Rocket festivals where it is used to mean parachute. 

8 hours ago, The manic said:

Lum is a word you hear all the time at the Issan Rocket festivals where it is used to mean parachute. 

Are you sure? Isn’t iะ more likely that they are saying ล่ม the word ร่ม because they like to use ล instead of ร? 

ตกหลุมรัก

ตก-หลุม-รัก

Tok hlum rak

Fall hole love. (fall into the love hole I guess)

Fall in love

(tok as in fall, Nam tok, waterfall)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I am probably wrong to do this. Knowing the meaning of a word makes the definition interesting, every word means something in the definition so one word means learning more than ‘one word a day’ หลุมอากาศ น. บริเวณอากาศบางเป็นเหตุให้เครื่องบินหสียระดับโดยกะทันหัน 

Air pockets affect all things which fly so depending on how one understands เครื่องบิน should read อากาศยาน not เครื่องบิน.    

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2005 at 4:13 AM, Neeranam said:

Howler, looks like no one else is interested.

How about letting us know what you want to learn - maybe I can help a bit.

How about a beginners thread?

There are a lot more beginners on this forum than experts or advanced.

koon yoo tee Groong Thayp nan thoarai? How long have you live in Bangkok?

ma nee boi mai? do you come here often?

chewmong la thoaroai how much is it per hour?

Count me in, Let me know how to get on the thread  when it starts, Thanks

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

bannork I am just guessing but I don’t see ‘small talk’ although I see that it is one of the suggestions in Longdo. As far as I can interpret it, ปฏิสันถาร seems to mean ‘welcoming (noun) and in the definition is paired with ปราศัย which in the verb form, again in my interpretations, means to speak in a friendly manner. กับ meaning ‘with’.
วิเศษ to mean ‘special’ in the exalted sense of a government official, the definition of ปฏิสันถาร also mentions that the word is used towards people of lesser or equal status which I think makes it his duty in this case.
So, as a member of the กกต. talking to someone who thought that his position allowed him to exist independent of public interaction he is explains that it is not the case because he has to indulge journalists.
Of course one’s impression of how journalists do business is paramount and influences me, harass comes to mind. I think that to a member of the Electoral Commission they are a ‘pain in the ass’ so small talk is not the word I would use. I would say that he has to appear to be welcoming and friendly towards journalists.

I will now research the word more deeply in Google where I see words like เผื่อแผ่ เจือจาน which need a bit more study.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I'm currently marooned in Texas, on vacation, but unsure of when my wife and I will be able to return to Udon.  I'm trying to keep up with my Thai by reading Thai websites with info about Udon.  A few days ago my wife was talking about the southern-most provinces.  She referred to them as ปลายตามขวาน .  When I told her I didn't understand, she said it was like the 'Texas panhandle'.   I'm guessing the southern provinces are referred to as the 'axe handle of Thailand'.  Has anyone come across that term before?

Any assistance much appreciated from Texas

• Like 1

Perhaps the term is "ปลายด้ามขวาน" where "ด้าม" means "handle". The phrase is a metaphor for Southern Thailand based on the shape of the country with the axe head in the North and its handle in the South represented by the lengthy peninsula ending at the Malaysian border. 

There is a Thai song called "ลมหายใจปลายด้ามขวาน". The final line of the song is, 

"ลูกพ่อสยามเราสายเลือดไทย  อยากถามว่านานแค่ไหน คืนลมหายใจให้ปลายด้ามขวาน" 
"We the children of Siam of Thai blood want to ask, 'How much longer will our life-blood return to the South?' "

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/22/2007 at 3:34 PM, Andrew Hicks said:

Ain't it difficult.

I have been disatisfied with all Thai language learning materials except one. An author called James Higbie published 'Essential Thai' with Post Publications and it is amazingly good. The transliterations really do establish the pronunciation and the tone markings are the clearest I've see. The selection of language is always exactly what I want to know.

If this is out of print, he's done another shorter book and a longer, complex grammar all equally good. I've seen them in Silom Centre in Orchid Books, a shop well worth visiting anyway. (Hope I've got the name right!)

No doubt this has all been trawled through before, but I thought that for what it's worth, I'd add my modest thoughts.

Nervously, as I usually get flamed on this Forum. Perhaps Thaivisa Psycho Geezer doesn't stalk this forum.

Andrew

I will add two variants of the word "Sow" (to mean lady) with a rising tone.

You have "Sow Noi" which can refer to ladies between approx. 17 to 30

You have "Sow Yai" which can refer to ladies over about 30.

Can be used as an ice-breaker. If you walk into an establishment with many ladies, if you say something like "Wow! Mee sow sow yut". (meaning Wow! There's a lot of ladies here) Then you gesture towards the younger ladies and say "Mee sow noi", then gesture towards the older one(s) and say "leap mee Sow Yai duey!". (meaning 'and have old ladies'). You'll get laughs! Nobody will be offended as the fun and novel part is that it came from a westerner's mouth. 

This is the course I began with when really starting out. https://www.pimsleur.com/learn-thai It's changed a bit since then, when it was on a cassette tape pack borrowed from local library... but I expect the formula is still the same. Very effective. Can be done on commute to work or in the gym or such.... You can probably download older versions from the web. Watch out for the trojans though!

Edited by OishiRefill
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/24/2021 at 5:06 PM, OishiRefill said:

This is the course I began with when really starting out. https://www.pimsleur.com/learn-thai It's changed a bit since then, when it was on a cassette tape pack borrowed from local library... but I expect the formula is still the same. Very effective. Can be done on commute to work or in the gym or such.... You can probably download older versions from the web. Watch out for the trojans though!

I first learned Thai with the Linguaphone cassettes from my local library! 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...