Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Let's Learn One Word A Day.

Neeranam

One of current relevance especially as Constitution day was last week :-

Democracy - ประชาธิปไตย bpra(low) chaa(mid) tip(high) bpa(low) dtai (mid)

One of my favourite sounding words . The other one being

Personality - บุคลิกภาพ buk a leek a paap

• Like 2

I've bookmarked this thread for getting some words to use in street/market situations.

My street food lady does fried chicken on rice -- usually with sliced cucumber ( the little ones) and sometimes with liver. What's the name for that dish? What word would be used for liver in that situation?

Nearly everyone in the streets around me comes from Issan, so sometimes their Thai is not easy even for Bangkok Thais to understand -- what hope do I have? blink.png I can ask questions, but never catch the answer! w00t.gif

Edited by jpinx

sa-naam-bin = airport

(liSA went to vietNAM to but her rubbish in the BIN)Ponounce as one word

haawng-naahm = washroom / toilet / WC

(I flew from HONG kong to vietNAM by plane)

barn = house / dwelling

(the cows are in the BARN at the farm)

mai-ow = do not want

(i cut MY leg it hurt and I shouted nOW)

Cheeky Farnag !!laugh.gif What an amazing way to remember words!!!!!!!! It provides a neumonic device for remembering!!! More !! I want MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or is there a source I can go to ? Are these your own?? jap.gif

agreed I love this way of learning, even if you don't learn all the complex stuff at least you learn the pronunciation from English words :) perfect bravo please continue!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I've bookmarked this thread for getting some words to use in street/market situations.

My street food lady does fried chicken on rice -- usually with sliced cucumber ( the little ones) and sometimes with liver. What's the name for that dish? What word would be used for liver in that situation?

Nearly everyone in the streets around me comes from Issan, so sometimes their Thai is not easy even for Bangkok Thais to understand -- what hope do I have? blink.png I can ask questions, but never catch the answer! w00t.gif

Be careful the word for liver ตับ has a double meaning.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

Be careful the word for liver ตับ has a double meaning.

What's the other meaning ? ;)

You might hear sometimes - หิวตับไหม which means, "are you horny?"

From the song, "กินตับ" means to have sex, amongst other things. ตับ is an onomatoepaeic word, ie he sound made when performing sex with another, or indeed with oneself blink.png

I have heard things like "the ghost will eat your liver".

Edited by Neeranam

word of the day is:

จักรวาล jakL graL waanM

means universe, cool word overall and notable because of its unique spelling and roots.

(thai-language.com ( which for new learners, used to best transliteration system (my opinion..) around) says จักรวาล roots are as such/จัก-กฺระ-วาน/ {Sanskrit:; Pali: จกฺกวาล}

also notable is its closeness to bicycle! จักรยาน

now my fav usage of the "universe" word is a play on the the colloquial saying blah blah this is สุดยอดในโลก .. when you hear this you need to counter with สุดยอดในจักรวาล .. great way to กวนๆ

• Like 1

Compare:

สุริยจักรวาล - solar system; e.g."การเดินทางออกนอกสุริยจักรวาล" (traveling outside the solar system)

As for the difference between "เอกภพ" and "จักรวาล", see the Royal Institute discussion of the issue at http://www.royin.go.th/th/knowledge/detail.php?ID=3542

wow thats excellent.

I have heard or seen that เอกภพ around but never understood what you just explained. thanks!

btw for non thai readers : that is เอก-กะ-พบ aehkL gaL phohpH

Also just talking w/ some Thai friends and they seem to say "its the same" although looking at the RID link you posted, what you said makes more sense.

Also the word สุริย by itself ( สุ-ริ-ยะ-; สุ-ริ-ยะ/ {Pali: สุริย; Sanskrit: สูรฺย}) is another cool word, which I've seen appear in Women's first names (not nick names..) not sure if thats super common or restricted to woman only or what, but I thought it was interesting .

today's word of the day is

แปลกใจ bplaaekL jaiM [adjective]

this is a word i've seen many times but never used in speech. the word แปลก is something that I say a lot and is common enough, meaning strange/odd or weird or along those lines (don't quote me on that).. but i found it cool that throwing in a ใจ on the end made this word

แปลกใจ= [is] amazed; astonished

cool how the addition of certain things can kind of tweak or upgrade (down?grade) the meaning of words. got to love the literalness of it all .

since i am pretty much ripping off the whole section for this word @ thai-language.com

i may as well paste the example usage in here

แปลกใจที่เห็นแกเลือกขึ้นรถไฟแทนที่จะเดินทางด้วยวิธีอื่นphr_link.gifspeaker_sm.gif
bplaaekL jaiM theeF henR gaaeM leuuakF kheunF rohtH faiM thaaenM theeF jaL deernM thaangM duayF wiH theeM euunL
" was surprised to see that he chose to travel by train, rather than go by other means."
Edited by Baa_Mango
  • Like 1

Beginners need the basic tools and simple examples. I learn more from Thai2English. What I was hoping for was how to construct simple sentences for everyday use. Thai appears to be short on grammar, but it appears to have some subtle conventions which makes sentence construction appear somewhat haphazard.

word of the day is :

เสือก seuuakL

means to interrupt in a rude way

commonly used in the super fun "อย่าเสือก"

a forceful word!

Caution advised. It is similar to saying "mind your own (insert expletive) business".

• Like 1

Interesting. จิ้งจก, is the common house lizard or gecko and จิ้งเหลน is the skink. The best I can discern เหลน means great-grandchild. I wonder if there is a connection or perhaps เหลน has another meaning. I don't know what จก is. I'm really not sure about จิ้ง either but it's also used in จิ้งหรีด (cricket). Yes, จิ้งเหลน a very interesting word. There must be a reason for words beginning with จิ้ง.

• 7 months later...

today's word of the day is

แปลกใจ bplaaekL jaiM [adjective]

this is a word i've seen many times but never used in speech. the word แปลก is something that I say a lot and is common enough, meaning strange/odd or weird or along those lines (don't quote me on that).. but i found it cool that throwing in a ใจ on the end made this word

แปลกใจ= [is] amazed; astonished

cool how the addition of certain things can kind of tweak or upgrade (down?grade) the meaning of words. got to love the literalness of it all .

since i am pretty much ripping off the whole section for this word @ thai-language.com

i may as well paste the example usage in here

แปลกใจที่เห็นแกเลือกขึ้นรถไฟแทนที่จะเดินทางด้วยวิธีอื่นphr_link.gifspeaker_sm.gif

bplaaekL jaiM theeF henR gaaeM leuuakF kheunF rohtH faiM thaaenM theeF jaL deernM thaangM duayF wiH theeM euunL

" was surprised to see that he chose to travel by train, rather than go by other means."

Interesting.

also ประหลาด changes it's meaning when adding ใจ - very similar to the above.

ประหลาด Strange ประหลาดใจ surprised.

This is fine IF you can read Thai.

An "assistant" with the phonetic pronunciation would be superb.

I have dictionaries but sound & phonetics would be #1.

It's a great way to learn to read. Most of my posts have transliterations in them anyway