Let's Learn One Word A Day.

Neeranam

Beginner - แปรงสีฟัน bpraeng see® fan - toothbrush

OK guys... let's get this rolling... :o

If this is todays word for us beginners, can someone please explain how it is pronounced?

I mean, we've got to have some consistencies in pronunciation, as transliteration into English may not sound quite the same for everyone.

For example, I thought the word for tooth was pronounced more like fun than fan?

Perhaps if those with previous Thai knowledge agree to use the standard transliteration on Mike's site www.thai2english.com then there will at least be some consistency.

This also makes it easier because with a cut and paste you also have tone marks.

E.g.

แปรงสีฟัน

bpraeng sĕe fan

toothbrush

แฟน

faen

boyfriend or girlfriend ; lover ; partner

fan ; supporter

What I think would be nice is a clean thread with no discussion in it just a word, it's translation and transliteration and an example sentence or two. Any questions could be in another thread.

Edited by withnail
  • Like 2

I would advise against that method as we all come from different places and pronounce English words differently.

I suggest leaving any very basic pronunciation questions out as this would take up too much time and anyway there are guides on this in other places.

I used to learn about 5-10 new words a day. Now I'd be lucky to learn that in a week.

How about posting new words every day to help us who are trying to learn.

Maybe for beginners, intermediate and advanced.

Intermediate - ผลัดวันประกันพรุ่ง plat(l) wan bpra(l) gan prung(f) - to procrastinate

Advanced - สงครามจิตวิทยา song( r) kraam jit wit(h) ta(h) yaa- psychological warfare.

N :o N

Good Idea.. I would like to see more advanced words if possible..

Perhaps someone can even mail out a word of the day!

• Like 1

Some great ideas.

How about linking the word to one of those online talking thai dictionaries? (whenever possible that is)
This would be great, computer experts, over to you.
I would advise against that method as we all come from different places and pronounce English words differently

I don't think this is a good method as we all don't come from the South of England.

I say farm for example pronouncing the "m".

Far, nothing like "fa" in "see fa".

Maybe 2 threads - one for beginners and one for those above that.

A universal transliteration system must be found - I suggest what the guy on Thai2english does, as someone said.

The word today is ทุก - took every

Here are some examples, adapted from ethaimusic.com

ทุกครั้ง (took krang) Every Time

สวยงามกว่าเคยทุกครั้ง (suay ngam gwar keui took krang) = It gets more beautiful every time.

ทุกคำ (took kam) Every Word

อยากจะลืมทุกคำ (yaak ja leum took kam) = I want to forget every word.

ทุกที (took tee) Every Time

ทำให้ทุกที (tam hai took tee) = Do it for me every time

ทุกวัน (took wan) Every Day

บอกฉันให้รู้อยู่ทุกวัน (bork chun hai roo yoo took wan) = Let me know every day.

ทุกเวลา (took wae-la ) Every Time/All the time

ยังคิดถึงเธอทุกเวลา (yung kit teung ter took wae-la) = I still miss you all the time.

ทุกอย่าง (took yaang) Every Thing

อาจจะทำทุกอย่างเปลี่ยนไป (art ja tam took yaang blian bai) = Maybe I'll change everything

ทุกอย่างบอกฉัน (took yaang bork chun) = Everything was telling me.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 2

Only just seen this thread. I'm definately in.

I wonder if it is also worth having another thread where, maybe Meadish for instance (if he could be so kind), can explain how the Thai script is pronounced and put together.

I.E. If we just took the individual consonants (without the vowels) you would read it something like:-

ทุ Tor ก Gor ค Kor รั้ Roo ง Ngor

This is the bit that i am struggling with. I now know, for instance there are "Stop" consonants and so ก is not pronounced "G" but "K"

Do you know what i mean :o Or have i just confused myself......again :D

The word today is  ทุก - took every

สวยงามกว่าเคยทุกครั้ง (suay ngam gwar keui took krang) = It gets more beautiful every time.

This one is from Palmy's Yahk Rong Dung Dung. Choice!

Also just a comment Neeranam your excellent thread would be more useful for beginners if you copied the transliterations from www.thai2english.com including tone markers.
Good point Withnail.
QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-11-09 19:33:15)

The word today is  ทุก - took every

This one is from Palmy's Yahk Rong Dung Dung. Choice!

The first Thai song that I managed to sing all the way through!

เขากำลังหายใจเป็นปกติ

kăo gam-lang hăai jai bpen bpòk-gà-dtì

He is breathing regularly.

Taken from http://www.seasite.niu.edu/Thai/TDReader/Reader.htm

Can I ask Neeranam is the idea that you yourself are going to post a word every day or are we all going to take turns. Perhaps we could allocate days to different members.

Edited by withnail

I used to learn about 5-10 new words a day. Now I'd be lucky to learn that in a week.

How about posting new words every day to help us who are trying to learn.

Maybe for beginners, intermediate and advanced.

Intermediate - ผลัดวันประกันพรุ่ง plat(l) wan bpra(l) gan prung(f) - to procrastinate

Advanced - สงครามจิตวิทยา song( r) kraam jit wit(h) ta(h) yaa- psychological warfare.

This a great idea Neeranam. Thanks for starting it.

I'd prefer if a higher level word were included each day too, as in your original example. Or was a new thread started for that purpose? I couldn't find it.

And let's not spend too much time trying to tell each other exactly how to pronounce each word. Printing these words and asking for a Thai's help could be a good conversation starter. Let's face it, we'll never be able to write exactly as it sounds. But using the thai2english looks like the best alternative.