Jakarta governor apologizes for rape comments

News_Editor

Jakarta governor apologizes for rape comments

2011-09-18 15:43:53 GMT+7 (ICT)

JAKARTA (BNO NEWS) -- Jakarta governor Fauzi Bowo on Saturday apologized for his comments which suggested that women could avoid sexual assault by not wearing revealing clothes, the Jakarta Globe reported on Sunday.

Fauzi made the comments on Friday after a woman was raped by four men, including a bus driver, last week. He said miniskirts were inviting to rapists. "You can imagine, if [a woman] wears a short skirt and sits next to the driver, it could be seen as inviting," the governor said. "Wear sensible clothes, not 'inviting' clothes."

Fauzi apologized after the comments caused a massive public backlash against him. The governor, who is expected to struggle to win reelection next year, said his comments were misinterpreted.

"I apologize because my earlier statement was very prone to misinterpretation," Fauzi said in a news release. "I had no intention whatsoever to harass women [with the statement]. In fact, I strongly condemn the rape cases and the perpetrators must be given harsh punishments."

Fauzi, whose term expires in 2012, also said the recent attacks had reached concerning levels. He said he had also instructed the Transportation Office to provide better security for passengers at night.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-09-18