Why Are Sometimes Windscreen Wiper Up On Cars ?

khman

Another more important question: why do people leave plastic bottles filled with water in front of their car wheels while parking overnight?

So dogs don't piss on the wheels.

True and correct!

We have a winner! but, the other day, I saw a dog pissing all over the wheels and didn't care about the water bottles. The soi dogs are getting smarter. hehe

Tried the water bottle trick around the posts of the carport but the dog still pisses up them, don't know if it's anything to with the fact he's blind B) .

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They want ''coke''. :lol:

Yeah, holding out for the good stuff. I forgot to mention that the dog was pissing all over the wheels & water bottles. I can just see that car owner coming out in the morning, smugly removing the water bottles with his bare hands, getting in his car, taking a sandwich out of its bag and munching it happily down....

Another more important question: why do people leave plastic bottles filled with water in front of their car wheels while parking overnight?

So dogs don't piss on the wheels.

True and correct!

We have a winner! but, the other day, I saw a dog pissing all over the wheels and didn't care about the water bottles. The soi dogs are getting smarter. hehe

Tried the water bottle trick around the posts of the carport but the dog still pisses up them, don't know if it's anything to with the fact he's blind B) .

Thought the water bottles were to deter Mosquitoes so god knows why the wheel thing. :unsure:

What do you call an Aardvark that's been beaten up ?

Oh no.. this has turned into a what / why thread..... :whistling:

Windscreen wipers: I figured it was because some people believe that the heat will stick the rubber to the windscreen. However, I suspect it's more of a 'they do it, so it must be the thing to do' type reaction..... the more who do it, the more will copy.

Another couple:

In the past I've been told to straighten the wheels after parking (reversing into a space for example) could it cause damage to the car?)

In the past I've been told to turn off the air-con before turning off the ignition (I never bother with this).

Why does everyone reverse into spaces in the shopping mall or supermarket when getting the shopping into the boot will be more difficult?

Edited by richard_smith237

Why does everyone reverse into spaces in the shopping mall or supermarket when getting the shopping into the boot will be more difficult?

I've scratched my head on that one too. Of course there is the waiting to turn the turn signals on at a stop light until after the light turns green.

Windscreen wipers: I figured it was because some people believe that the heat will stick the rubber to the windscreen. However, I suspect it's more of a 'they do it, so it must be the thing to do' type reaction..... the more who do it, the more will copy.

Another couple:

In the past I've been told to straighten the wheels after parking (reversing into a space for example) could it cause damage to the car?)

In the past I've been told to turn off the air-con before turning off the ignition (I never bother with this).

I follow the practice to turn off a/c before ignition, someone gave me a reason for this but i can't remember....i also park with my wheels straight for some reason, don't know why?

Reverse parking at malls - maybe they're only going to eat or getting a solitary bag?

JH

Could you explain? I don't understand. I'm not fluent in english but couldnt understand what you meant.

The car wash wallah used to put the wipers up so that you knew he'd washed the car. In case it was not particularly dirty to begin with. I never had a regular wash-wallah, and paid a bloke on the street on an ad hoc basis. I never had a problem with sticky wipers in Dubai, but then, I left in June. And, to be fair, it had not rained for a few weeks then, either.

I think people reverse into parking spaces as they feel it is safer to come out forwards, while they are confident they can get their shopping into the boot no matter what. Maybe they intend to drive round to the supermarket entrance for the wife to put the shopping in the boot while obstructing the flow of traffic. Maybe they think they're driving a VW Beetle. Probably they just do it to wind you up, because you're paranoid. I drove through from the other side.

SC

Another couple:

I follow the practice to turn off a/c before ignition, someone gave me a reason for this but i can't remember....i also park with my wheels straight for some reason, don't know why?

Reverse parking at malls - maybe they're only going to eat or getting a solitary bag?

JH

Sorry - brain freeze!!

Edited by Jebhead

Another couple:

JH

I have never heard anything so cruel and heartless

I've scratched my head on that one too. Of course there is the waiting to turn the turn signals on at a stop light until after the light turns green.

Why do all the vehicles stop in the right lane at a double lane crossroad both with ahead arrows, and when you have driven past 30 to the front on the left and gone at the green the 2nd & 3rd once they've cleared the right turn signal joker drive like demented demons to pass you at all costs before the next lights :wacko: .

@richard_smith237:

1. Was told by a mechanic in Thailand that if you don't turn off the A/C on a diesel engine, before turning off the car, the starter motor will wear out quicker. (Was told this after replacing said starter motor, pronounced "die star" in Thai.) Also, it may have something to do with the battery wearing out sooner, as we all know in this climate, batteries go quicker than in cooler climates.

2. Backing into parking spaces seems to be not only a "Thai thing," but also an "Asian thing." I lived in Hong Kong for some years, and they all do the same thing. I suspect it has something do with the fact that the parking spaces are smaller than in the west, and it is easier to do it like this? In any event, I adopted the practice in HK and in Thailand.

Regarding the OPs question it's a fiendish plot by the Thais to confuse us westerners. They've all conspired together for a bit of a giggle because they're bored with ripping us off, hating us, wishing we'd go home but leave all our money, being jealous of us and all that other stuff you read about on TVF.

Why lift the windsreen wipers? The wear is less when being used.

Why do busses drive around with the engine cover up? To cut off the arm of the unsuspecting fool putting it in there to poke around.

Why do truckies strap strips of rubber to their wheel arches? To flick out the eyes and whip motor cyclists they pass.

Etc. Etc.

Why do busses drive around with the engine cover up?

I'd love to see the Ministry Of Transport vehicle inspection list for buses.

Enough spotlights on the front of the vehicle to be visible with the naked eye from the International Space Station - CHECK

"Finding Nemo " paint scheme - CHECK

A minimum number of UV lights in various colours to give the appearance at night of the mothership from " Close Encounter Of The Third KInd" - CHECK

Serpico, Cobra or Che mudflaps - CHECK

Sound system from a Slayer concert ( Luuk Thung mandatory ) - CHECK

Remould tyres about to shred from the rim - CHECK

Speed limiter removed - CHECK

Last basic safety maintenance carried out during the reign of Rama V - CHECK

"Somchai" or " Sombat " Tours logo - CHECK

2. Backing into parking spaces seems to be not only a "Thai thing," but also an "Asian thing." I lived in Hong Kong for some years, and they all do the same thing. I suspect it has something do with the fact that the parking spaces are smaller than in the west, and it is easier to do it like this? In any event, I adopted the practice in HK and in Thailand.

It's not just and "Asian thing". Backing into parking spaces is taught at driving schools in North America and Europe and is the recommended method. It's safer as there are less collisions with pedestrians and cyclists compared to backing out.

Also, when you back into a space you have already driven past to see if there are any potential problems.

reverse parking is much smarter in thailand because the parking spaces are quite small and you will often have someone double parked when you wish to exit the space.

for you guys to ask this question makes me think u do not drive in bkk as it would be obvious to you.

Edited by farang000999

@richard_smith237:

1. Was told by a mechanic in Thailand that if you don't turn off the A/C on a diesel engine, before turning off the car, the starter motor will wear out quicker. (Was told this after replacing said starter motor, pronounced "die star" in Thai.) Also, it may have something to do with the battery wearing out sooner, as we all know in this climate, batteries go quicker than in cooler climates.

A relative once shorted out the A/C or the compressor when he start his car engine without turning off the A/C first. He too didn't believe or can't be bother until it happened.

@richard_smith237:

A relative once shorted out the A/C or the compressor when he start his car engine without turning off the A/C first. He too didn't believe or can't be bother until it happened.

Funny, a guy taxi driver (a friend of mine) also told me that and I didnt believe him. You are the second person that has said this now.

In case anyone walking along the street feels thirsty during the night.

I thought everybody knew the answer to that one.

Haha, no, only youthumbsup.gif