Ubc + Vcr - How ?

Butterfly

I have those old UBC cable box. I took the RF output from the UBC cable box and connected it to the VCR RF in

No matter what, VCR can't get the channels.

Also another question: is UBC using a PAL feed or some other proprietary feed ?

I am starting to question of it is actually possible to connect a VCR to a UBC cable box

I have those old UBC cable box. I took the RF output from the UBC cable box and connected it to the VCR RF in

No matter what, VCR can't get the channels.

Also another question: is UBC using a PAL feed or some other proprietary feed ?

I am starting to question of it is actually possible to connect a VCR to a UBC cable box

If your VCR does not have a built in TV tuner it won't work. The RF output on the UBC box is set on a specific TV channel frequency (either 3 or 21, can't remember). Possibly if your TV has an video/audio output just feed it to the VCR AV inputs.

You should be able to adjust the RF channel on the VCR and the UBC box.

Just make sure they match.

A better solution is to get Yellow/Red/White AV cable and use that

to connect the UBC box to your VCR.

The quality will be much better.

Your 2nd suggestion would work but either have to split the signal to go to the TV or feed the VCR output back to the TV to see/hear the picture.

Look on the back of your UBC box or open the manual, it should tell you what the channel you need to set your VCR for. Just surprised that the VCR has a tuner built in, most in Thailand only have the A/V inputs.

Edited by tywais

He does not have S-Video or video out direct from the old analog cable converter box. His recorder may or may not have RF input/tuner but many sold and made here did have. But most VCR are well past there life and from post may not even be a PAL model - if you are trying to use a US VCR forget it as the channels are not the same and very few models ever sold in the US are multi system; and yes, indeed, the color system used here is PAL.

Edited by lopburi3

My UBC box is connected to my VCR and then to the TV with the RF and the Composite video cables (red, white and yellow).

But I must record (and watch) what is selected by the UBC box.

When I was at my last service apt, using this same recorder, I could record one channel and view a different one while it was recording but that was because there was no box. The decoding was done near the dish for the entire 35 floors.

:o Slightly off-topic, but what do you want to record? I've found nothing worth recording - either it's crap or it's repeated so often you don't need to record it, e.g. the three episodes of Fawlty Towers that they show every weekend, or the two episodes of Open All Hours.

BBC Prime must be the biggest con / waste of money off all time.

:D Rant over, back to the original subject... as other posters have said, tune your TV to the RF output channel of the UBC box, or use the red, white and yellow (audio right and left, and video) outputs of the UBC box to the VCR inputs.

I've a similar set up to paulfr except l use an S-Video cable as it made a visible difference to picture quality for me using satellite. While l can use the timer on the recorder l have to have the UBC box switched on to the channel l want to record.

We just got a brand new UBC box as the last one was zapped by a power surge when lightning hit transformers either side of our house. UBC replaced it for free but it's going to take a couple of months to get parts for our new Samsung tv which also got zapped. The first replacement box lasted a week before failing. The new ones are smaller and an improvement as when you use the remote it has a much wider range, with the older box we had had the remote had to be pointed very precisely at the UBC box or it wouldn't work.

Your 2nd suggestion would work but either have to split the signal to go to the TV or feed the VCR output back to the TV to see/hear the picture.

Look on the back of your UBC box or open the manual, it should tell you what the channel you need to set your VCR for. Just surprised that the VCR has a tuner built in, most in Thailand only have the A/V inputs.

The AV video cable are already connected on the TV. I could use the AV video connector to the VCR but it is Scart only on the VCR (Euro standards) and I don't have RCA to Scart cables.

The Cable Box is an old box and there is no mention of preset channel for use on TV.

I tried to use the TV RF to find the channel for the CABLE box. But there again, no luck. It doesn't show. TV is mult-system and I used PAL using the C-- and CH-- range of channels. Maybe the signal is too weak from that cable box and it won't lock.

VCR has built-in PAL/SECAM tuner so technically, it is feasible.

I am suspecting the cable box not being fully functional.

Do you even have cable TV?  One would really expect you to have a working converter before you posted a recording problem. :D

Next time around I may just be able to catch my tail.

English please ? :o

You need to reread my post, I think you missed something. The cable box is working obviously since I can watch UBC. I am just questioning the RF part and how it should be connected and what TV system it's on.

Well I have been a customer since the system was installed in Bangkok and the converter box supplied by UTV, which is now called UBC, was as I said for most customers and I have 4 units in my home at this time. There is no output other than RF from these units and language selection is done on the TV. Do you have cable or DTH service? The DTH and digital cable use a more advanced converter. What is the name of your "old converter box"?

I had seen no mention that converter was working prior to your current post - only that you could not record and then you said you could not see on TV either so it sounded as if you might not be getting a signal.

If you have audio/video output that work you would normally plug that into your VCR and not worry about RF. From the VCR output jacks you would plug to the TV input. But in chapter two you mention different plugs (although I do not know what type it is as have only seen RCA and DIN types used here.

It does seem there is a problem with the RF out if you can not get it on your TV so I would look for adapters to use the cables (the signal will be better from that in any case).