Uk To Thailand With Infant Under 2 Year Old

uaelaelil

Am looking at flying to Thailand soon to take the little on to see her mothers side of the family, Though looking through the flight booking websites it seem that even with our baby in our laps the price of her ticket will be about the same as a adults ticket ? or about 100 pounds cheaper

I thought if flying with child, in lap the price for her ticket was much cheaper than that of a full adult, We always fly direct so is this the norm ? or would it be best to book 2 adults that call the airline and book our child's flight.

My wife and infant daughter went to BKK in July from the US so the in-laws could see the new baby. $1695 for the wife, and $459 for the infant (no seat). I think if the baby has a seat, it would be around 70% of the adult fare. This was on EVA SEA-BKK. If your baby meets the height weight requirements definitely request a bassinet seat. On many websites you can't request prices for infants. Only through a travel agency.

Hi,

My wife and I are traveling to Thailand with our new baby (only found out she was pregnant after flights were booked), we're flying with emirates and when I phoned to ask about this I was told I just needed to phone again once baby is born and give them the details and pay an extra £80.

I hope this is the case as I've spoke to 2 different emirates staff and both have said same.

Gunn.

This is from ebookers.

"How do I book a flight for an infant?

Before beginning the booking process, please note that generally for pricing and carriage purposes the airline definition of an infant, child, and youth, is based on their age on the DATE of TRAVEL:

An infant is under 2 years old.

A child is between the ages of 2 and 11.

A youth is between the ages of 12 and 17

To book a flight for an infant, please go through the following steps:

1. Go to the tab on the Flight Search Screen

2. Select the number of infants travelling - the number of infants travelling may not exceed the number of accompanying adults or seniors and in some cases a greater ratio of adults may be required:

- Enter the number of infants 'in lap' - an "infant in lap" will not have a seat booked for them and will therefore pay a reduced rate - usually a percentage of the adult fare.

- Enter the number of infants 'in seat' - an "infant in seat" will have a seat booked for them and will therefore pay the same fare as a child.

Notes:

- In both cases standard charges for compulsory Government taxes & duties will apply as usual

As was noted above a lot of websites/search engines don't allow you to input infants. However apart from ebookers you can also use somewhere like Kayak and if you find a flight you like then give the airline or agent a call.

Edited by roamer

You should never fly an infant on an airplane. Airplanes are filthy. The air is recycled and the filtration units are rarely maintained properly. The seats are full of things you don't want. Just pound on the seat cushions and watch the dust and other particles come out. Infant immune systems should not be exposed to too much too soon. The mix of peoples and their contagions on an international flight is also not a good idea to expose children too.

You should never fly an infant on an airplane. Airplanes are filthy. The air is recycled and the filtration units are rarely maintained properly. The seats are full of things you don't want. Just pound on the seat cushions and watch the dust and other particles come out. Infant immune systems should not be exposed to too much too soon. The mix of peoples and their contagions on an international flight is also not a good idea to expose children too.

I guess you must walk back to farangland for your holidays then?

Thai Airways has Heppa filters on all their aircraft, I believe they were the first airline to do so.

Infants are 10% of the adult full fare Y class fare plus taxes, another issue may be actually obtaining the bulkhead seat for the baby as some carriers are charging for preferred seats.

Depending on the aircraft configuration the middle section may be an option, if there are 3 or 4 seats make you seating with one empty seat between the two adults. Also grab extra blankets from the FA when boarding. Be careful with liquid formula for the baby, security still gets weird with the liquid rules.

No. I don't have any children. If I did, I would put their health and safety first. I understand the family and grandparents wanting to see, but I would not jeapordize the child because you chose to live far apart.

No. I don't have any children. If I did, I would put their health and safety first. I understand the family and grandparents wanting to see, but I would not jeapordize the child because you chose to live far apart.

are you a hermit?

...there are only three airlines that go direct...

and they are Thai Airways, British Airways, Qantas and Eva Air. :rolleyes:

BA and Quantas are one of the same ;)

Interesting !

I know they were looking at a merger in 2008, and heard about the merger of BA & Iberia in January this year, under the name International Airlines group, who also (from Wikipedia) own 15% of Flybe amongst others.

But they don't mention their OneWorld alliance-partners Qantas, as being anything to do with the holding-company ? It would be a pity to see such a venerable airline disappear, from the aviation world & from BKK-LHR, they were always our favourite direct-carrier on that route, when we used to travel with our own youngsters. Perhaps they'll keep the Qantas brand-name, at least. :)

we flew with EVA with our one year old and we managed to get a bassinette , which was great for us and the baby, note the extra charge for baby was 200 pounds when flying from BKK to Uk (paid at BKK airport) and was only approx. 100 pounds when flying from UK to BKK (have to send them a cheque in uk)

give them a call, they were the cheapest that i could find at the time flying to heathrow, many people fly china air also.

one problem we found was the luggage allowance was that high , i think they finally allowed us 23kg each but nothing for the baby.

also the night flight was better than the afternoon one.

prices are approx. 500 pounds each way pp,

are you a hermit?

Why in the world would you post a response such as that? Me trying to point out the health risks to children. You, I don't know what.