Working In Thailand, Paid And Employed Uk

I have a job doing web site support for a company in London. I currently work from home and am planning to continue this job during my 6 month plus stay in Thailand.

The Embassy in the UK (London) and the consulate in Liverpool have both told me verbally (the consulate after having made checks) that as I am employed and paid in the UK there is not a problem continuing this work on a tourist visa. As I am not employed by a Thai company I cannot get and do not need a work permit. Neither of them were willing to put this in writing however and the Hull consulate started ignoring my emails.

Without wanting to be rude I'm sure lots of poeple will have an oppinion on this matter but I would really like to hear either from people that are allready in a similar situation or people that have had trouble when doing work in the kingdom for a foreign company and paid abroad. A journalist for instance or somone else doing an internet based job.

Thanks

Tecnically, every job, wether mentally or physically, paid or even free (voluntarily) requires a workpermit!

This said however, who is going to know if you sit in your room /appartment and hammering away on your PC?

They would have to throw the majority of the Thai Visa posters in jail :o

Fact is, you would need a workpermit, but in my opinion it's not worth the hassle / expense compared to the almost zero risk you are taking...

I concur with monty.

This MO has been discussed before. The general concensus has always been, keep your head down, don't broadcast to all and sundry what you're doing, and you will have no problems.

The company I work for in the US researched it and said, no problem for me as long as I'm physically in Thailand for less than 6 months. If I go over that 6 month threshold, things change, I need to go the work permit route. My company in the US (not my company but the company I work for) feels very strongly about doing things correctly and ethically and have researched this issue. While I agree with the others, keep your head down and nobody will be the wiser, your company in the UK may have reservations about this type of set up as it's not technically legal. I am paid in the US and pay US taxes and travel extensively so I'm managing to stay under the radar for now and in Thai just under the 6 month window. There is a big tax advantage for both of us with this situation as well. You shouldn't have to pay UK taxes as you're out of the country most of the time, I get an $80K tax break which is nice. If you get a work permit, you get taxed here. I believe the tax rates here are comparable to the UK, which is a lot of lost income. Actually not sure about UK rules, I have to be in the US less than 35 days a year to get the 80K exemption.

The company I work for in the US researched it and said, no problem for me as long as I'm physically in Thailand for less than 6 months.  If I go over that 6 month threshold, things change, I need to go the work permit route.

I think, you're mixing taxes and labour issues.

The rule of 6 month is related to "residency".

I'm french, but I live +6 months in thailand, so i asked for the "non resident" status. It means I dont pay anymore income taxes in France. I dont pay anymore the social taxes (social security, etc. which are huge in Europe).

But as for the labour issue, it's true that as soon as you're working in Thailand (even less than 6 motnhs), you have to get a work permit.

But as previouslay said, nobody will look behind your back to see what you are doing on line in your appartement...

I think, you're mixing taxes and labour issues.

The rule of 6 month is related to "residency".

I mention taxes as it is an offshoot of residency and germane to the OP. If he’s here over 6 months, technically he should pay tax here. As discussed, this is overlooked by many of us but foreign companies often take this very seriously. Sounds like his company is not concerned that their employee is residing in a foreign country and not paying taxes in that country. Good for him, perhaps US companies take this more seriously certainly mine does.

If you have any means of making money in Thailand keep it to yourself – and especially if you are working with out a work permit.

There’s a lot of bitter people in Thailand who would only be too happy to spoil your pot.

I had assumed that if I kept my mouth shut that there was no way I could get caught. I need to be discrete in the job anyway so it will always be done in private. I was a little worried what might happen if I was caught which is why I made enquiries with the embassy and the consulate. Both told me that to get a work permit I would have to get a Thai company to sponsor me as my employer which, as I am not employed by a Thai company, is not possible.