Relocating Phuket -> Bkk

Yaroon

Greetings,

Plans are in the making to say goodbye to Phuket and move to Bangkok somewhere at the start of 2012 . When this happens, all i have are some suitcases with clothes, documents and such to take along. No issue whatsoever, can be done either by bus or plane. But, what about my motorcycle? Would it be wise to hop on the bike (Suzuki scooter, bought it brand new and want to take it along for sure) and start the +10 hour drive to BKK? Or are there other (better) alternatives? :)

I did the trip to the opposite direction few years ago.

If you change your suitcases to backbag, you could ride the scooter to Surat Thani, put the bike to train travel with it.

I accumulated a bunch of things during the 15 months of my stay here, i believe i need to go make the trip Phuket/BKK at least twice as i have 3 suitcases full.A backpack would be a nice idea if i had very litle to take along. Then, going by bus for the first load would be the cheapest way, and then come back to pickup the bike with perhaps some other items.

Anyway, going to travel on a bike with a fuel tank of 3.2 liters does give me an itchy feeling, not to mention the less organized roads (although i think i would be able to manage this part). I have to look into the train story, it sure might be a good solution, avoiding the looooooooong road north. have you taken your bike on train as well?

I accumulated a bunch of things during the 15 months of my stay here, i believe i need to go make the trip Phuket/BKK at least twice as i have 3 suitcases full.A backpack would be a nice idea if i had very litle to take along. Then, going by bus for the first load would be the cheapest way, and then come back to pickup the bike with perhaps some other items.

Anyway, going to travel on a bike with a fuel tank of 3.2 liters does give me an itchy feeling, not to mention the less organized roads (although i think i would be able to manage this part). I have to look into the train story, it sure might be a good solution, avoiding the looooooooong road north. have you taken your bike on train as well?

People have asked a similar question on the forum in the past. From memory, there were several answers including sending it through the Post Office, as baggage on a bus or trucking it.

People have asked a similar question on the forum in the past. From memory, there were several answers including sending it through the Post Office, as baggage on a bus or trucking it.

Gonna give the search a try :) Sending it would be best idea, provided the price aint extremely high. Will have a look around :)

Yes I took. Not expensive and actually pretty fun. Just took my bike to the train station and let the station workers to load it to the train (and unload on destination).

There are enough gas stations on the road so that will not be a problem. Every once in a while it's good to get to an road trip.

Ror Sor Por ... the Government transport company is the way to go if you have little/a lot of stuff to move. There is an office in every Provincial Capital. Cheap, regular, reliable and safe! They'll take everything from a box to a motorbike! Cheaper than the PO and will depending where you live deliver right to your door!

We have been told you can send a bike through the post office as well,

Who would want to ride a small bike all the way to Bangkok

Last year sent a motorbike through Thai post from Phuket to Sa Kaeo; cost 2000b, which included 100b for them to bubble-wrap the bike.

Arrived earlier than expected, undamaged, they removed the bubble wrap and got me to check there was no damage.

Shipped 8 boxes and a triathlon bike at the same time.

I have no complaints; though recently there was a thread here about a bike being damaged in transit with Thai Post.

They do it all the time, just remove mirrors and put them under the seat, a copy of green book and photo ID or passport.

Edited by Atmos

Some good info to read :)

Im not moving yet so i still have some time to decide what to to. Driving to Surat takes i believe more then 4 hours with ofcourse the risk of mechanical/flat tire/ dangerous road situations. Better to send it from Phuket itself i suppose

" Ror Sor Por ... the Government transport company is the way to go if you have little/a lot of stuff to move " or the Post Office service might be my choice. It would be unwise to take the risk for just 2000 baht.

You could hire a Toyota Hilux or similar for one day - the big hire companies will let you pick up and drop off in different locations. Stick your motorbike in the back along with all your luggage and drive to BKK.

Having looked at one hire car company, it came to just over $100 USD - more than I thought, but maybe preferable to some of the alternatives.

Very cheap and easy to do by post. I sent a scooter from Phuket to BKK. Just be aware it goes to the depot that services your area of BKK for you to go and pick up. They won't send it to your address. It was around 3K all in. You need to show them the green book and give them a photocopy of it.

Very cheap and easy to do by post. I sent a scooter from Phuket to BKK. Just be aware it goes to the depot that services your area of BKK for you to go and pick up. They won't send it to your address. It was around 3K all in. You need to show them the green book and give them a photocopy of it.

Im eventually planning to do this as well... 3k is not that bad provided the bike arrives undamaged :P The need to pickup the bike from their depot aint that much a problem, i guess there are quite a few in BKK, just a matter of picking the nearest one (if possible ofcourse :P ) You know the way they transport it? Truck?

What office did you use for sending? in town?

Driving a bike in BKK will be another experience, been to Bangkok at least 50 times the past 7 years, never participated in traffic myself, always used Taximeter... Gonna be fun :P

Edited by Yaroon

Im eventually planning to do this as well... 3k is not that bad provided the bike arrives undamaged :P The need to pickup the bike from their depot aint that much a problem, i guess there are quite a few in BKK, just a matter of picking the nearest one (if possible ofcourse :P ) You know the way they transport it? Truck?

What office did you use for sending? in town?

Driving a bike in BKK will be another experience, been to Bangkok at least 50 times the past 7 years, never participated in traffic myself, always used Taximeter... Gonna be fun :P

The Phuket Post Office dispatch centre is at the rear left hand corner of the main post office on Montri Road Phuket Town. I would visit before due date to get necessary info, they cannot speak english so take a thai friend if your thai is not up to scratch.

Sanuk

You can send from the EMS depot just up from Chalong circle on the left heading towards Rawai.

You don't get to pick the depot in Bangkok . It depends on where the shipping address is in Bangkok and which depot services that area.

My bike was fine -- they undo the mirrors and bubble wrap it. I never had any problems.

Thanks for the info :) Planning to go around feb or march so i got plenty of time to look/ask around. You guys gave me a nice idea what can be done! Very helpfull :)

When i start shipping it, is there anything i need to do regarding paperwork regarding registration, or something of that sort? Bike is on my name and bought here in Phuket.

Are there things that i need to change? If so, would that be before or after? (I guess change of address,...what else?)

• 2 weeks later...

When I moved from patong beach to chumphon, door to door I had a tour friend hire a private pickup taxi for 4000 baht. Included loading the pickup with motorbike and about 3-4 suitcases worth of stuff, necessary tiedowns and 2 people road in the front. That was very cheap considering some of the other quotes I was getting, plus it is someone I trusted.

Maybe 7000-10000 to bangkok? And maybe about 3-7 days notice? Would take a day and would probably have to leave early (4-6am) to make good time. At least you ride with the bike, so you KNOW it is safe. Make sure you take greenbook with you. You might get stopped at checkpoint and they may check to make sure it is not stolen. I guess that's not all that bad. To rent a one-way uhaul in the USA for 700KM would be about 11000-18000 baht + gas. A moving company would be more.

One guy said you could rent a pickup yourself for 4k baht. I suppose the gas puts you at another 1.5k-2k baht? I was considering the post office route, but with the private "taxi", I got door to door service for about the same price as having to buy two bus tickets and wait to ship/receive motorbike to chumphon.

edit: but the seats in pickup don't recline too much. Maybe one person in front leaning back, and another person in back laying down? Assuming no more passengers. its a one-time deal though.

edit: I used Thanya Internet and Tour. She moved shortly before I left. I'm trying to remember the road. It is the side street just after the corner of Rat U thit 200 road and Sai Namien Rd (sp?) , the same side street that the Phuket Gym and Body Building shop is on. (the side street actually "connects" Rat U Thit 200 and Sai Namien Rd just after the intersection) I will try to find her #.

If you pass Royal Paradise and definitely Jungceylon Mall, you went too far.

Edited by 4evermaat

i send my motorbike from pattay to chiang mai on the bus dropped it off (empty tank) paid 1.800 baht got the receipt at 4pm

the next morning the bike was picked up at chiang mai bus station very easy

rick

You know, another thai lady said she did this years ago. Is it just certain companies? We asked a few bus companies and they said "cannot".

Edited by 4evermaat