Thai Govt: No Extrajudicial Killings In Drug Crackdown

webfact

Govt: No Extrajudicial Killings in Drug Crackdown

An outspoken deputy prime minister overlooking national security announced that the government is planning to intensify its efforts to suppress narcotic rings.

The issue of how to best address narcotics trafficking in the country was raised at the Senate meeting yesterday.

The Senate recognized that the drug problem is a critical one, as Thailand has become a drug dissemination hub and a main route for drug transport, especially along the borders.

Despite the fact that the government has made the issue a national agenda, the suppression and preventive measures in place have not adequately resolved the issue.

The Senate also questioned the government's policies with regards to supporting drug rehabilitation centers and drug suppression measures in prisons.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, who is in charge of the government's narcotics suppression initiatives, gave his assurances in response to concerns expressed by the United Nations in which they stated that they fear that the government's anti-drug campaign could lead to human rights violations or to extra-judicial killings by police.

Chalerm has reaffirmed that he would maintain Thailand's credibility in the international stage and vowed that there will not be any extrajudicial killing in this government's war on drugs.

He lashed out, saying that there were no extrajudicial killing of drug suspects during the terms of the former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's, administration as has been claimed.

Chalerm stated that tackling the drug problem will require integration and cooperation among six ministries and 20 departments.

In addition, he will work with the Anti-Money Laundering Office and Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission Office in seizing drug offender's belongings.

He pointed out that narcotics eradication efforts will only succeed when there is a decrease in both demand and supply.

If necessary, borders will be closed in order to suppress drug trafficking.

Chalerm promised that the campaign against narcotics will strictly adhere to the rule of law.

He said that officers who abuse their power will certainly face suspension and could be fired.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-09-20

footer_n.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He lashed out, saying that there were no extrajudicial killing of drug suspects during the terms of the former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's, administration as has been claimed.

So all those people killed during the last drug war went through the proper judicial process before they were executed then?

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, who is in charge of the government's narcotics suppression initiatives, gave his assurances in response to concerns expressed by the United Nations in which they stated that they fear that the government's anti-drug campaign could lead to human rights violations or to extra-judicial killings by police.

Always interesting when people bother more about the human rights of the crooks than of the victims...

Always interesting when people bother more about the human rights of the crooks than of the victims...

If there is no judicial process, are they crooks or victims?

Chalerm has reaffirmed that he would maintain Thailand's credibility in the international stage and vowed that there will not be any extrajudicial killing in this government's war on drugs.

He lashed out, saying that there were no extrajudicial killing of drug suspects during the terms of the former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's, administration as has been claimed

Credibility status of Chalerm: Failed.

They get caught with drugs, they are crooks. They don't care about the lives of ther "customers"... all they care about is money... it is no human right to sell drugs for money... it's a crime. of course their shall be a judical process, but it should be a short one NOT bothering too much about their human rights.

Look what happens here in Europe: Small dealers - mainly Africans for example in Zurich - sell drugs, get caught... first time they get 6 months on probation... second time one year... third time maybe 2 years... but of course, they are asylum seekers... "lost" their passport during their travel to Switzerland... can't be sent back to their home country... don't even remember what nationality they are... and of course, they learn fast... they only collect the money but don't carry the drugs... they use their underage children (<14y) to carry the drugs and do the exchange... because they know their children can't be punished...

F*** their human rights... build a prison, throw them in and keep them on minimum food, no TV, no books, no visits, no work, no salary... until they remember where they came from and decide to go back home on their own. I love the US states where a crook gets life in prison when he gets caught doing the same crime for the third time...

When you are executing thousands of people in the streets without trial over a period of weeks, and most were later found to be uninvolved in drugs, they ARE victims

But the allegation is that in the Thaksin government's 'drugs crackdown', about 2500 people were killed without due process of any kind, and that of those 2500, over 1600 were nothing to do with the illegal drugs trade, but were murdered by police for no reason.

Since you advocate eroding due process because the ALLEGED criminals are SAID TO BE in a particularly dirty business, you should try living in a police state like North Korea for a couple of years to see what unfettered police power can do to your freedom.

Edited by colinscarr

Is there any country in the world that had a problem with drugs that a "war on drugs" eliminated?

The only success stories i recall reading are places that chose to legalize drugs to a certain degree and/or offered treatment or other things as opposed to taking a heavy handed a approach.

They get caught with drugs, they are crooks. They don't care about the lives of ther "customers"... all they care about is money... it is no human right to sell drugs for money... it's a crime. of course their shall be a judical process, but it should be a short one NOT bothering too much about their human rights.

Look what happens here in Europe: Small dealers - mainly Africans for example in Zurich - sell drugs, get caught... first time they get 6 months on probation... second time one year... third time maybe 2 years... but of course, they are asylum seekers... "lost" their passport during their travel to Switzerland... can't be sent back to their home country... don't even remember what nationality they are... and of course, they learn fast... they only collect the money but don't carry the drugs... they use their underage children (<14y) to carry the drugs and do the exchange... because they know their children can't be punished...

F*** their human rights... build a prison, throw them in and keep them on minimum food, no TV, no books, no visits, no work, no salary... until they remember where they came from and decide to go back home on their own. I love the US states where a crook gets life in prison when he gets caught doing the same crime for the third time...

Now imagine that one of your neighbors has it out for you and during one of these crackdowns,your neighbor calls the cops and says you are a drug dealer. Then they arrive and take you out in the street and put a bullet into your brain. Then someone in the background cheerleading and saying as you.."F*** their human rights. Doesn't matter that you have never even seen illicit drugs before. Out of the couple thousand killed I am sure many enemies were disposed of in this manner. Do I have proof? No, but if you have been here long enough you would appreciate the possibilities...

But the allegation is that in the Thaksin government's 'drugs crackdown', about 2500 people were killed without due process of any kind, and that of those 2500, over 1600 were nothing to do with the illegal drugs trade, but were murdered by police for no reason.

Since you advocate eroding due process because the ALLEGED criminals are SAID TO BE in a particularly dirty business, you should try living in a police state like North Korea for a couple of years to see what unfettered police power can do to your freedom.

Not North Korea, but grew up in Malaysia. Where when it comes to firearms and drugs the Police use a shoot first ask questions later policy. You have to watch what you say and who you offend as the ISA policy was used widely up till the mid 90's. You know what, I liked it, it was near impossible to find drugs, people stayed away from firearms and everyone respected each others ethnicity and watched what they said.

I have said this before, and will say it again I supported the drugs crackdown. I was here during the time and I knew of people who found it next to impossible to get drugs in town. Whatever was being done worked. In every war there will be collateral damage, the war on drugs is no different. 2500, 1600 are all numbers. I have not seen an official report that substantiates the claim above other than a whole bunch of speculation. Who is to know what the actual number of innocent deaths was?

All I have to say is this whatever the current government is going to do about the drug menace, I hope we see results. The previous administration did jack schitt.... IMHO.

Is there any country in the world that had a problem with drugs that a "war on drugs" eliminated?

The only success stories i recall reading are places that chose to legalize drugs to a certain degree and/or offered treatment or other things as opposed to taking a heavy handed a approach.

I agree, wherever this approach to treating addicts as victims has been adopted, crime has fallen. Several towns in the UK had seen crime rates plummet when trials to support victims were conducted. However, this is different from legalization.

Some places have tried legalizing certain drugs but discovered a whole range of collateral problems emerge causing more damage than the sum of their parts. A place in Canada (forget where I read this) tried and then reversed the decision in the late 90s as school results fell, productivity in the workplace declined and other crime increased. Canada's attempt to legalize generally was quashed by DEA pressure and threats to close US-Canadian borders. I think for North America the 'medical' route will be the only way forward.

Portugal legalized drugs 7 years ago and by treating addicts they have reduced the health problems of drug use without their capital becoming some sort of drugs haven.

I think the Thai politician's stance to refrain from extrajudicial killing will do little to calm the frayed nerves of international observers!

"He lashed out, saying that there were no extrajudicial killing of drug suspects during the terms of the former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's, administration as has been claimed."

Of course there will no extrajudicial executions this time because there never have been.

Out of the couple thousand killed I am sure many enemies were disposed of in this manner.

All you needed to get rid of an enemy is to put a bullet in their head and stuff a bag drugs in their pocket.

You are forgetting the rusty old .38s that were also posthumously arranged near the left hands of the police's right handed murder victims.

But you might notice that extra judicial killings are not tolerated in Switzerland as it is a developed country, try to educate the local natives rather than be one.

Arrest them, send them to prison so that they can learn to sell drugs (even sell from inside) and join networks of criminals and learn how not to get caught again once they are released. Makes sense to me.

Sorry, I am not shedding too many tears for these scumbags who get shot. I have a friend whose life was made a living hell by a son-in-law who was a drug addict, dealer, thief and local criminal. No matter what opportunities he was given, he always went towards the easy money in drugs and theft. He is serving time now and we hoped and prayed they wouldnt let him out any time soon to terrorize the family and neighbourhood. Alas, he is due to be released in December after barely a year behind bars.

Edited by apalink_thailand

I agree and you're spot on...

All I have to say is this whatever the current government is going to do about the drug menace, I hope we see results. The previous administration did jack schitt.... IMHO.

According to some police friends and a provincial governor friend, the drug situation got worse during the last administrations lack of interest...

You are obviously not familiar with the Thaksin approved Drug offensive which relied on indiscriminately killing anyone in an area where drugs were thought to be possibly trafficked. No arrests, no jail, summary execution of many who were later conclusively proven to have no involvement with drugs. Thats the "extra judicial" we are talking about.

The pharmaceutical companies included? YEAH, go for it!!

It may make you feel good to spout tough sentences for drug dealers but history proves that it doesn't work. The illegal trade is lucrative because it is illegal just as booze was illegal in the US all those years ago. I suspect that an African refugee may prefer a different occupation to drug dealer if only he had that option available to him. Drugs are a health and social issue / problem and should be dealt with that way.

War on drugs is a proven failure. The war on drugs in Thailand is a farce at best. The prohibition in the states lobbied by a bunch of women who hated booze and what it did to the men failed miserably resulting in organized crime. Legalize drugs and put the money spent fighting it to addressing the root causes of drug dealing and drug using/abusing. I would bet anything that most of the posters on this forum spouting kill em all and let god sort em out attitude lock em up and throw away the key. I don't feel sorry for any of them because of this or that. &lt;deleted&gt; their rights and on and on will have a nice cocktail or beer tonight if not already having one whilst they are spouting their views. You all are no different. you drinkers self medicate and support the alcohol dealers, because it is legal. Why is it legal? Because it is a good thing? Tobacco? Is it a good thing? It is legal because man loves to self medicate. If tomorrow alcohol was made illegal would you all stop? No F*cking way! If by not stopping and you were treated like criminals and put on a list to be dealt with like you all so self-righteously have mentioned. What you say to that possibility?

It is a different world these days and the old school mentality of dealing with social issues have changed.

My thoughts? well since I am out of my mind all I can say is "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve".rolleyes.gif

And yes before you all tell me that I quoted a hobbit, I know I did because after all I am not out of my mind.

So all those people killed during the last drug war went through the proper judicial process before they were executed then?

Hmmm... dead people dont lie! - Speak

Not North Korea, but grew up in Malaysia. Where when it comes to firearms and drugs the Police use a shoot first ask questions later policy. You have to watch what you say and who you offend as the ISA policy was used widely up till the mid 90's. You know what, I liked it, it was near impossible to find drugs, people stayed away from firearms and everyone respected each others ethnicity and watched what they said.

I have said this before, and will say it again I supported the drugs crackdown. I was here during the time and I knew of people who found it next to impossible to get drugs in town. Whatever was being done worked. In every war there will be collateral damage, the war on drugs is no different. 2500, 1600 are all numbers. I have not seen an official report that substantiates the claim above other than a whole bunch of speculation. Who is to know what the actual number of innocent deaths was?

"........ I knew of people who found it next to impossible to get drugs......."

Did you do your civic duty, inform the police of what you knew, and have them shot?