Japanese Restaurant In Phayao...

PhayaoPete

Well, greetings once again, and no, this just would not fit in the Good Restaurants in CR thread, either. There is a really good Japanese Restaurant next to the big market on the north end of Phayao town. It is right off the Super Hwy at the last traffic light going north out of Phayao or the first one coming into Phayao heading south. It is on the lake side of the hwy and is right next to a green and yellow building, just behind the Spirit House for the market area. Coming from the north, take the U-turn right before the light and then an immediate left (go across the N bound hwy lanes). There is a gas station there and if you park in the back, they are cool with that. The restaurant has 8 dishes so far and we tasted 4 of them today. Very reasonably priced (they want Thai customers as well). It was so nice for a change from the usual. I highly recommend it and since it is right off the S hwy, it is reasonably easy to get to. The sign is in Thai, so I won't even bother with trying to find a translation for it. Worth seeking out. By jingy, we just might screw around here long enough and get our own, real hamburger place, right in Phayao....Bon apatite....PP

I would be interested in knowing if the pizza place has many Thai customers. The Japanese place sure sounds like a place I will hit next year. My wife's cousin who is Thai works in Sweden about 8 months of the year wants us together to open a restaurant in Phayao and he is the lead chief of a very good restaurant in Sweden. He would quit that job should we go into business together in Phayao. I guess my question is, is there a clientele in Phayao other than for Thai food? Swedish, Italian, Japanese, American, etc. Never been in the restaurant business before, cousin has, so I am kinda dubious. Peace.

PP - I believe we saw that Japanese place when we took the car to the carwash the other day. You are talking about the one behind, and sort of to the left, of the 'PT' garage; right (at the end of the road that the hospital and post office are on)? Looks like I'll have to give it a try this weekend.... And yes, do they serve sushi/sashimi as well?

Gino - The pizza place has plenty of Thai customers (otherwise they'd have shut already). We've been there 3 times now and there is always at least 3 or 4 tables of Thais and I've only ever been on Tuesdays, so I would imagine Friday and Saturday are even busier - if they opened later than 4pm, it might be busier still! You have to remember that there aren't that many 'farangs' in Phayao (yet), but I can assure you most of our Thai friends are always looking for something different to eat....

Good luck if you do decide to open a restaurant here. It would need to be something that keeps the Thai population of Phayao interested 'long-term' - I get the feeling the that most places are rammed to begin with, then the 'fad' gets a bit boring and the Thais all move on to somewhere else/new. I'm no restaurateur, and it would take a lottery win for me to want to open a restaurant in Thailand, but Phayao doesn't have any decent 'western' food joints really - apart from the pizza place and KFC... whistling.gif

Yes Mistaphenso, it is that place and unfortunately extexthai, and to my chagrin as well, I did not see anything that remotely resembled cut bait at all. I love sushi and sashimi both and guess I will have to whet that part of the old palette when I am on the coast. I did watch a Japanese fellow do most of the cooking, so I would not doubt that he could whip up some tasty sushi, it's just getting FRESH ingredients. And please don't give them any ideas, I can see it now....nam bpoo sushi :bah:...fresh water crab, ell, fish, shrimp and ngoo could probably be done that way :lol:, but they would serve it with a dish of nam pla instead of soy sauce :blink:....which might not be so bad either....I guess :jap:. Well, it is Thailand after all, now isn't it. pp

..... decent 'western' food ........ KFC...

cheesy.gif

Don't get me wrong. I eat at KFC a lot more often here than I did in Australia, because when I need a break from Thai food it does the job. But I don't think I've ever heard the words decent and KFC in the same sentence before....

cheesy.gif

Don't get me wrong. I eat at KFC a lot more often here than I did in Australia, because when I need a break from Thai food it does the job. But I don't think I've ever heard the words decent and KFC in the same sentence before....

LOL - fear not, I was definitely joking...! biggrin.gif That said, the KFC is a lot better here than in the UK!

I don't think I'd even class pizza as 'decent' western food either really? It does give Phayao one more option over KFC though; and it is good pizza - so for that alone it gets marks with me....

PP - I believe we saw that Japanese place when we took the car to the carwash the other day. You are talking about the one behind, and sort of to the left, of the 'PT' garage; right (at the end of the road that the hospital and post office are on)? Looks like I'll have to give it a try this weekend.... And yes, do they serve sushi/sashimi as well?

Gino - The pizza place has plenty of Thai customers (otherwise they'd have shut already). We've been there 3 times now and there is always at least 3 or 4 tables of Thais and I've only ever been on Tuesdays, so I would imagine Friday and Saturday are even busier - if they opened later than 4pm, it might be busier still! You have to remember that there aren't that many 'farangs' in Phayao (yet), but I can assure you most of our Thai friends are always looking for something different to eat....

Good luck if you do decide to open a restaurant here. It would need to be something that keeps the Thai population of Phayao interested 'long-term' - I get the feeling the that most places are rammed to begin with, then the 'fad' gets a bit boring and the Thais all move on to somewhere else/new. I'm no restaurateur, and it would take a lottery win for me to want to open a restaurant in Thailand, but Phayao doesn't have any decent 'western' food joints really - apart from the pizza place and KFC... whistling.gif

Thanks, my wife's cousin did own his own restaurant down south somewhere but went belly-up and I would have to rely on him for the logistics setting it up. Maybe a small place 1st and just see what happens. Glad the pizza place so far has been successful. Gives me hope that I can also start a good western/European eatery.