Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

This whole episode makes me think that the mayor is making a cut from the scam. Yes, I know he made a PR appearance to the jet ski scammers last summer and "scolded them". He has so much power, he only has to put the police on it or his own "hit men". He definately is connected with this scam or else he would faithfully, consciously make an attempt to stop this bad situation which gives Pattaya a bad name. come on, it is a no brainer that he could wipe this out within 2 days. And just think how the Western countries would handle this...or Japan...or Singapore...or Indonesia

With a stroke of the pen and a walk down the beach they could put an end to this by banning them. Problem solved.

I think it is painfully obvious why they don't stop this. Year after year the same meetings, the same nonsense, the same lies and hollow talks and press releases. Yet nothing is ever actually done about it.

The apples don't fall far from the tree. That's all that really needs to be said about the criminal underbelly of Pattaya.

• Like 2

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I deplore extortion at any level, I have to wonder if we shouldn't be careful when wishing jet ski scams would go away.

If jet ski scams ended tomorrow, these thugs would have to move on to extorting other victims, for I doubt they have any other marketable skillsets of any value.

The one saving grace of jet ski scams is that you can avoid it 100% if you don't rent a jet ski. What if these guys were actually forced to move on to a more random selection criteria?

Say, for example, they park a car on a walking street and stop and extort everyone who walks near the car, pointing to a scratch that was there already?

Or how about this- they sell you a boat ride to an island for 150 baht, then demand 2500 baht to bring you back.

With the cooperation of the BIB, any one of us could become the next extortion victim.

It would be great if all extortion were to cease, but I doubt that's in the cards in my lifetime. Meanwhile, I'll avoid the jet skis and look to sites like TV to warn of the next scam when they move on or expand.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

While I deplore extortion at any level, I have to wonder if we shouldn't be careful when wishing jet ski scams would go away.

If jet ski scams ended tomorrow, these thugs would have to move on to extorting other victims, for I doubt they have any other marketable skillsets of any value.

The one saving grace of jet ski scams is that you can avoid it 100% if you don't rent a jet ski. What if these guys were actually forced to move on to a more random selection criteria?

Say, for example, they park a car on a walking street and stop and extort everyone who walks near the car, pointing to a scratch that was there already?

Or how about this- they sell you a boat ride to an island for 150 baht, then demand 2500 baht to bring you back.

With the cooperation of the BIB, any one of us could become the next extortion victim.

It would be great if all extortion were to cease, but I doubt that's in the cards in my lifetime. Meanwhile, I'll avoid the jet skis and look to sites like TV to warn of the next scam when they move on or expand.

It has been happening with motorbike rentals. They claim you scratched it up or come to your hotel and steal it back.

Go read some of the travel forums, the amount of people getting scammed in Thailand (various ways) right now may at an all time high. Just about every city lets these criminals run a muck (or cashes in on it with them) so it's just getting worse and worse.

It has been happening with motorbike rentals. They claim you scratched it up or come to your hotel and steal it back.

Yeah, that scam nets them a quick 50,000 + and doesn't involve a lot of arguments because the victims don't even know they've been scammed.

• Like 1

Go read some of the travel forums, the amount of people getting scammed in Thailand (various ways) right now may at an all time high. Just about every city lets these criminals run a muck (or cashes in on it with them) so it's just getting worse and worse.

Pattaya, the Somalia from the tourist destinations.

Motorbike scams.

When I was a young man (rolleyes.gif ), I used to hire out all manner of Big Bikes around Pattaya - mainly Honda Fireblades. Never ever had any problems at all with the hirers, these were the Muslim ladies at the intersection of Beach Road and the road leading to the Penthouse hotel. Even took one bike back with evidence of a burn out being done on the back tyre,,, they weren't that bothered. When one broken down, they collected it and replaced it with another.

I guess its not the same now.

Are they still there in the same spot and if so, have they been dragged into the wave of scamming?

I have hired jet skis on Jomtien beach before, but mainly to let my young Thai brother in law have a go. Never had a problem but never going to tempt fate with this again either.

I've been reading about motorbike scams, too, and truly appreciate info like that to keep me from making the same mistake that others have made. Like the jet ski extortion ("scam" sounds too civilized), there's a 100% chance of not being extorted by not renting a scooter. I'm just worried that the game will change and everyone walking on the street or staying in a room or sitting on the beach may become vulnerable.

over 1300 posts

it still goes on every day

face it guys

no-one is listening

All the more reason to keep this going.....

It does serve the purpose of alerting newbies to the jet ski scams. I'm sure this thread has saved many.

I didn't know about jet ski scams until I read about it on this forum...

Even the Australian Embassy is avoiding the subject in their official tourist warning. That's pathetic. They don't even mention Pattaya.

You never read about the dozens or hundreds that have been saved by threads like this. Thankfully, not getting scammed is not newsworthy (yet, but if it keeps getting worse...)

• 4 weeks later...

Pattaya officials should be CONCERNED; for, Phuket's greediness and high crime is now steering people away from the once seeked for vacation destination.

(such as the EU representatives sitting down with Thai officials asking them to offer better protection to European tourists ) -article in one of the papers a couple weeks ago. )

people are still getting scammed daily, if you rent a jetski opposite mikes and come in after 5 you will be scammed. the police will be waiting for your return and you will be ordered by the police to go get the cash, generally they go for groups of two because your friend will be held as hostage to make sure you return. to all appearances this scam is not just supported by but now being run by the Pattaya police

Edited by wwex
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Pattaya Mayor: Scams must go

July 19, 2013 by Wanwisa Ngamsangchaikit
Filed under News, Thailand

PATTAYA, 19 July 2013: Thailand’s best known tourist playground needs to strengthen confidence in its services, crackdown on scams and develop an efficient transport system, Pattaya Mayor, Itthiphol Kunplome, told the media on Wednesday.

He was commenting on security failures and scams at Thailand’s resorts saying the city would lead the recovery as it did a decade ago when water pollution was the main criticism.

As the country’s oldest beach resort destination, it has faced various challenges ahead of other resorts such as water pollution, floods, traffic, crime and a wild nightlife scene run by criminal elements.

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2013/07/pattaya-mayor-scams-must-go/

Congratulations Marriott Hotel for warning its guests.

I spotted 4 warning signs.

image.jpg

If only all hotels and guesthouses would do this..... management that has their guests' best interests at heart. If they stand alone then the city will pressure them to remove the warnings so let's support this hotel and any others that are proactive in addressing this scam.

Congratulations Marriott Hotel for warning its guests.

I spotted 4 warning signs.

image.jpg

If only all hotels and guesthouses would do this..... management that has their guests' best interests at heart. If they stand alone then the city will pressure them to remove the warnings so let's support this hotel and any others that are proactive in addressing this scam.

maybe they have realized that if they want repeat customers its in their interest that people have an enjoyable stay and dont go home telling their friends to never go to Pattaya

July 19, 2013 by Wanwisa Ngamsangchaikit

Filed under News, Thailand

PATTAYA, 19 July 2013: Thailand’s best known tourist playground needs to strengthen confidence in its services, crackdown on scams and develop an efficient transport system, Pattaya Mayor, Itthiphol Kunplome, told the media on Wednesday.

He was commenting on security failures and scams at Thailand’s resorts saying the city would lead the recovery as it did a decade ago when water pollution was the main criticism.

As the country’s oldest beach resort destination, it has faced various challenges ahead of other resorts such as water pollution, floods, traffic, crime and a wild nightlife scene run by criminal elements.

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2013/07/pattaya-mayor-scams-must-go/

The Mayor thinks the water was cleaned up 10 years ago?cheesy.giflaugh.pngbiggrin.pngcheesy.gifblink.pngblink.png

• 2 months later...

Not trying to beat a dead horse but seems the jetski scams are still taking place. These were what looked like asian-russians tourists. Happened about 6pm just south of Royal garden. Seems the scammers try to get the tourists away from the ski's and down in chairs quickly as not too draw attention to themselves. I saw some of the big jetski bosses there also paying their staff as it was the first of the month.

post-72597-0-74974400-1380634509_thumb.j

• Like 1

There seems to be many many many infuriated posters in this thread. Quite rightly so.

The posters post, the readers read.

Maybe all us posters and readers should meet to discuss face to face over a beer.

Free venue would be good.

Maybe on a beach.

Maybe the beach opposite Mikes. partytime2.gif.pagespeed.ce.V_K7hML3fS.p

• Like 1

One solution for this would be all jet ski's have video cameras recording all activity and they must stay in a designated area an an independent company monitoring the cameras at all times and reporting all incidents of scams and extortion.

Tourist police to be notified when an incident occurs and to direct the victims to the police to lay charges so the new tourist court can be used.

Providing this can be done without corrupt cops being involved which is really the biggest problem it should work.

With all the publicity, the scam has become a tourist attraction.

I met a couple from Australia one afternoon while 2 scams were happening at the same time.

"Wow" the lady exclaimed. "We saw this on television last week. It's worse than they said."

Another afternoon while sitting on the steps at Mikes Mall, a fellow asks me if I "was there to watch the show?"

The police can get away with almost anything in Thailand so it's much too dangerous to stop it.