Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

Reverse logic runs strong in Thailand. Bangkok has arguably the dirtiest air and worst traffic snarls in Thailand, yet its properties command the highest prices.

Try Chiang Mai area...... Highest level of lung cancer in Thailand. If you have been there in burning season, will see why

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reverse logic runs strong in Thailand. Bangkok has arguably the dirtiest air and worst traffic snarls in Thailand, yet its properties command the highest prices. Pattaya has arguably the most aggressive number of katoy per sq.M, and on-going jet ski extortion, yet the tourists keep going there. What gives?

You don't think the traffic in Pattaya is bad? Ladyboys are the least of our problems. Police "activities" are high on the list of "annoyances" here.

Sorry to hear that, I guess.

Well, with the high concentration of easy pickings (tourists) in a small area, they get naughty.

Who should we blame for the jetski scams? We can't really blame the scammers because anywhere in the world where scammers (criminals) are given free reign they will proliferate. They go one step further here. The police help them and share in the spoils.

The best option would be to get rid of all the jetskis along the beach and set them up in a restricted area well away from swimmers. How many more swimmers need to die before something is done?

Why allow them to set them up anywhere? If something involves years-long patterns of extortions, then ban it. If Pattaya had a problem with heroin being sold and people get threatened with knives - as part of that business - would the city fathers simply move the heroin dealers to a different part of town?

• Like 2

If Pattaya had a problem with heroin being sold and people get threatened with knives - as part of that business - would the city fathers simply move the heroin dealers to a different part of town?

no, they would just take a cut and leave it where it is

• Like 1

If Pattaya had a problem with heroin being sold and people get threatened with knives - as part of that business - would the city fathers simply move the heroin dealers to a different part of town?

the mention of drugs brings up an interesting idea, If letters to the local papers said the jet ski guys were selling ya bai

and the police looked into it, chances are they would find the product on the jet ski guys ( judging by the way they act they are on speed)

It may take care of the problem by a different means.

I had a friend that was being bugged by the bird seed sellers a few times, he always shouted, " get away from me, I do not want to buy your drugs" they got away from him with the speed of light.

Why allow them to set them up anywhere? If something involves years-long patterns of extortions, then ban it. If Pattaya had a problem with heroin being sold and people get threatened with knives - as part of that business - would the city fathers simply move the heroin dealers to a different part of town?

That's a pretty silly comparison because jetskis would be a valid tourist attraction if controlled and safe. The problem is not with the jetskis, but how they are handled.

The idea of moving them away from swimmers was based on the assumption that there wouldn't be any scamming going on at that point. Of course this is all fantasy at this stage.

• Like 1

That's a pretty silly comparison because jetskis would be a valid tourist attraction if controlled and safe. The problem is not with the jetskis, but how they are handled.

The idea of moving them away from swimmers was based on the assumption that there wouldn't be any scamming going on at that point. Of course this is all fantasy at this stage.

"That's a pretty silly comparison because jetskis would be a valid tourist attraction if controlled and safe."

It's been proven, without a glimmer of doubt, that it is not possible to have a jetski renting biz in Thailand without it being corrupt. Let's accept the fact, ban all jetskis from Thailand, and move on.

"That's a pretty silly comparison because jetskis would be a valid tourist attraction if controlled and safe."

It's been proven, without a glimmer of doubt, that it is not possible to have a jetski renting biz in Thailand without it being corrupt. Let's accept the fact, ban all jetskis from Thailand, and move on.

It may be fantasy to think they will clean up the business, but thinking they're going to be banned is equally unlikely. Let's face it - beach resorts and jetskis normally go hand in hand.

Having said that, I've used jetskis many times in Pattaya and Ko Larn and never had a problem. I wonder what the percentage of happy customers is. The times I used them in Pattaya predates me reading about the scams on this forum though. I wouldn't even try it now - but I still would use them on Ko Larn.

the mention of drugs brings up an interesting idea, If letters to the local papers said the jet ski guys were selling ya bai

and the police looked into it, chances are they would find the product on the jet ski guys ( judging by the way they act they are on speed)

It may take care of the problem by a different means.

I had a friend that was being bugged by the bird seed sellers a few times, he always shouted, " get away from me, I do not want to buy your drugs" they got away from him with the speed of light.

not sure how I got quoted posting that, but I have no doubt the jetski boys are on yaabaa, but I dont think they sell it. I think you would find that the police control the yaabaa trade here and most likey they supply the jetski boys so that angle wont work. I base that on having witnessed the police selling yaabaa to the inmates in the soi 9 police cells when I had the pleasure of spending a few nights there

A couple questions to you all.

Are these Jet Ski operators actually organized criminal gangs who use extortion to obtain large amounts of money through coercion e.g. threats of violence and kidnapping ?

Are these Ski operators aided abetted in these unlawful acts by a corrupt police force and government officials ?

A couple questions to you all.

Are these Jet Ski operators actually organized criminal gangs who use extortion to obtain large amounts of money through coercion e.g. threats of violence and kidnapping ?

Are these Ski operators aided abetted in these unlawful acts by a corrupt police force and government officials ?

Easy answer...

Think of it like this... no type of scamming activity, which has been documented on various websites, forums, travel sites, youtube, local newspapers, national newspapers, television news, blogs etc would not be allowed to go on unless ___________________. You can fill in the blanks.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Jet ski scandal surfaces again

Re: Yet another jet ski scam leaves 2 Chinese students robbed, beaten (PM Friday, 27 April 2012) - I am in Pattaya at the moment. This just happened to me yesterday (April 24, 2013). They claimed 65000 baht saying because of me the water went inside the jet ski engine. I am staying in Hilton and I called my hotel’s staff, who talked to them but still they weren’t letting me and my wife go. We went to the police station where the police completely refused to cooperate in this matter

contd :

http://www.pattayamail.com/mailbag/jet-ski-scandal-surfaces-again-25546

Ideal culture is what society claims they do and believe in, but real culture is what society actually does.

The jet ski situation being a prime example of ideal culture colliding with real culture.

In ideal culture TAT talks about how wonderful the 'New Pattaya' is,

but in real culture most of the tourists have a mundane experience at best.

If one wants to see the direction that the ' New Pattaya' is heading, then one should go to Patong.

..... Do you mean it's WORSE down there???

Jet ski scandal surfaces again

Re: Yet another jet ski scam leaves 2 Chinese students robbed, beaten (PM Friday, 27 April 2012) - I am in Pattaya at the moment. This just happened to me yesterday (April 24, 2013). They claimed 65000 baht saying because of me the water went inside the jet ski engine. I am staying in Hilton and I called my hotel’s staff, who talked to them but still they weren’t letting me and my wife go. We went to the police station where the police completely refused to cooperate in this matter

contd :

http://www.pattayamail.com/mailbag/jet-ski-scandal-surfaces-again-25546

It's only a short post, so why not include the conclusion? They were lucky and didn't pay.

"We went to the police station where the police completely refused to cooperate in this matter. Then the hotel staff called more people from the hotel and told them that they know it’s a scam and wouldn't let them do this to us and after 4 hours of arguments they went away. I would simply request people not to use the jet ski and not spoil your own mood and trip. I live in London and have been to so many countries in this world but haven’t seen such a rude nation; these Thai people have not etiquettes and are money greedy to the extreme level.

Jamal"

Edited by tropo

the only way these guys can argue for 4 hours is because they are on yaabaa and they want money for more, Im pretty sure they are recruited from the prisons by the police

They can argue for 4 hours because there's 65,000 baht at stake. Not bad for 4 hours work if they get it, no? They usually get it, or a decent percentage, that's why they don't quit easily.

It's nice to hear they lost out on this one. That may send them a message not to <deleted> with Hilton Hotel guests.

This is a nice thumbs up for Hilton Hotel.thumbsup.gif clap2.gif

• Like 1

;

the only way these guys can argue for 4 hours is because they are on yaabaa and they want money for more, Im pretty sure they are recruited from the prisons by the police

They can argue for 4 hours because there's 65,000 baht at stake. Not bad for 4 hours work if they get it, no? They usually get it, or a decent percentage, that's why they don't quit easily.

It's nice to hear they lost out on this one. That may send them a message not to <deleted> with Hilton Hotel guests.

This is a nice thumbs up for Hilton Hotel.thumbsup.gif clap2.gif

yes it is, Im surprised the Hilton dont pay someone a few baht to remove the broken glass and rusty cans that are exposed at low tide in front of their hotel since obviously the umbrella people are too lazy, but I guess thats asking a little too much

Im pretty sure those guys get paid in yaabaa and they are happy with that, its not them getting the money, I cant say for sure but Ive seen the way the police run things from the inside and have no reason to think this is any different

Edited by wwex

How many gangs of jet ski scammers are spread along the beach and how much do they take in every day I wonder?

I see at least 4 gangs doing it.

as far as I can tell its just the area from walking st to soi 10, I would guess its all run and owned by the same guy whose name we cant mention, just figure out who controls Pattaya and you will know who collects the money

In front of Royal Garden yesterday saw about 8 Indians being herded into a city inspector pickup truck for a ride to Soi 9 ,after a alot of hostle exchange between them and the Thais. There just seems to be a never ending supply of oblivious 'first time' visitors to Pattaya. Thats the only reasons the Thais can get away with this for so long. For a city and its locals that are supported about 80% from tourism. All this negativity and scams is very strange indeed.

Edited by morrobay

How many gangs of jet ski scammers are spread along the beach and how much do they take in every day I wonder?

I suspect they're working extra hard these days - just in case a new council proposal shuts them down in 3 months.

It appears there are 4 gangs.

Lets estimate their daily take

Perhaps eight victims a day paying 50,000 BT each.

400,000BT per day X 365 days a year.

Total 146,000,000BT per year.

Now include Phuket, Samui etc.

Could be a billion a year.

• Like 2

Just think what will happen when AEC 2015 kicks in. All those other clueless folk from not so far away getting scammed. Or maybe they can set up their own jet ski shops.

Unless they heaviliy regulate it, Thailand isn't going to last as being part of ASEAN becuae they (the people) are only go

I suspect they're working extra hard these days - just in case a new council proposal shuts them down in 3 months.

Shuts them down? cheesy.gif

Just think what will happen when AEC 2015 kicks in. All those other clueless folk from not so far away getting scammed. Or maybe they can set up their own jet ski shops.

Unless they heaviliy regulate it, Thailand isn't going to last as being part of ASEAN becuae they (the people) are only go

>

Shuts them down? cheesy.gif

I do have some faith, hope or expectations that this will not continue forever. For how long, who knows.

It appears there are 4 gangs.

Lets estimate their daily take

Perhaps eight victims a day paying 50,000 BT each.

400,000BT per day X 365 days a year.

Total 146,000,000BT per year.

Now include Phuket, Samui etc.

Could be a billion a year.

So now you understand where TAT gets those high tourist spending figures from . biggrin.png

• Like 1

This video was posted on this thread weeks ago. It is not useful in that it doesn't show any clear evidence of scamming.

The guy was rather foolish though. He should have known better than to stick a video camera in their faces.

I read the first few pages and the last 10 there's so much here not surprising I missed it. Very nasty pieces of work - my only experience of renting a jet-ski was on Ko Samed 10 years ago and there was no problem. Real shame that so many folk have their holidays ruined by a bunch of connected thuggish crooks.

This video was posted on this thread weeks ago. It is not useful in that it doesn't show any clear evidence of scamming.

The guy was rather foolish though. He should have known better than to stick a video camera in their faces.

• Like 1