Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

during the last few weeks i have seen a lot of police action on the pattaya beach with city hall police , thai volunteers and foreign volunteers patroling

around the beach area . on tuesday i watched a dispute over jet ski payment with some indian tourist on the beach near soi11 which resulted in some foreign police volunteers

marching 2 jet ski guys back in the direction of the police station for what appeared to be some sort of dispute .the indian guy said they kicked him when he refused to pay

this is the first time i have seen this action and hope it will continue.

the sooner these thugs are dealt with the better. .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I notice a Thai lady sitting all day across from Mikes Mall that appears to be in charge of the jet ski boys in that area.

She sits directly across from Soi 11 and orders them around I see.

She must be related to the boss of the jet ski gang?

• 1 month later...

Well this guy was assaulted by the beach thugs on film.

They even threw a brick at him. (Attempted murder?)

All he did was take a movie on the beach.

Will the police act I wonder?

The embassies need to warn travelers not bring cameras to the beach now?

The embassies need to warn travelers to stop annoying organised crime gangs and trying to capture them on film.

• Like 1

Will the police act? Short answer: No

Long answer: Yes, they'll act the same way they've been acting for years: those not getting pay-offs will tolerate the scammers (because if there's a hassle between farang and Thai, police will always side with their brethren). Other police, who are part of the scam operation, will support the scam because they're getting a pay-off for doing so.

During my last holiday I took a stroll on the beach, sat down and waited for the show. Sure enough, a couple of young looking Russians rented two jet skis with the usual fanfare of picture taking before they left. Upon their return the antics started. The pointing and gesticulating...

I was sitting near another guy and as one of the Russians walked bye he asked about money... Then the fat Thai started yelling at the guy I was sitting by... "F-you, F-you... why you yak-yak!" What an <deleted> joke. The Russians ended up paying, but I am not sure how much.

These Russians were of the timid looking variety and what I did overhear was that they had just arrived in Pattaya that same day. Welcome to scam land.

• Like 1

2 years ago, the Mayor promised to do something.

Unusual that no journalist has followed up or questioned the Mayor about the ongoing scams, assaults etc. Why?

A farang journalist would be dismissed as being too uptight, too pesky, ....delving in to things he can't understand, etc. The mayor would probably just grin and something like, "why you worry about some problem like that? You in Phuket, a great beach resort, you can ask me about good things, come on."

A Thai journalist wouldn't ask the right questions (it's easier and more fun to report of the latest kissing contest or katoy beauty show). Even if a Thai journalist asked a tough question or two, he/she knows their job is in jeopardy. The mayor, by definition, can get little people like journalists fired for less than asking tough questions. One phone call would do it.

During my last holiday I took a stroll on the beach, sat down and waited for the show. Sure enough, a couple of young looking Russians rented two jet skis with the usual fanfare of picture taking before they left. Upon their return the antics started. The pointing and gesticulating...

I was sitting near another guy and as one of the Russians walked bye he asked about money... Then the fat Thai started yelling at the guy I was sitting by... "F-you, F-you... why you yak-yak!" What an <deleted> joke. The Russians ended up paying, but I am not sure how much.

These Russians were of the timid looking variety and what I did overhear was that they had just arrived in Pattaya that same day. Welcome to scam land.

Sure, newcomers are always the easiest targets. Same with the bar-girl biz. They know they can get a guy to go to an ATM a lot quicker if he's just off the plane, than if he's been around for a few months or years.

Watched 3 going down below Soi 13 early afternoon already. 1 disinterested City cop and 2 slimy Indian "helpers/mediators" in the middle. A group of Indians were first victims. Overheard numbers of 30'000 Baht. Was able to warn off a group of young US travellers, who had no clue what was going on. This will never stop. What a shame.

• Like 2

Dang, that guy threw a BRICK at him for filming. <deleted>! That is assault if I've ever seen it. One hit to the head with that and it could be curtains for you.

Looks to me like they are feeling the heat and know where the videos will end up. The last time I was in Pattaya most of the jet skis were not being used. I guess word is slowly getting around in every language.

Dang, that guy threw a BRICK at him for filming. <deleted>! That is assault if I've ever seen it. One hit to the head with that and it could be curtains for you.

Looks to me like they are feeling the heat and know where the videos will end up. The last time I was in Pattaya most of the jet skis were not being used. I guess word is slowly getting around in every language.

Yeah, that brick throw was terrifying.

• Like 1

When's the next public announcement by Pattaya's mayor that; "we will clamp down....." ? Next week? Two weeks from now? They should just make a video of that announcement, and then play it once a month on a cloth screen in front of his municipal office. That should work to end the jet ski extortions.

Edited by maidu
  • Like 2

Insurance conflicts delay jet ski scandal resolution at least 3 months

Resolution of Pattaya’s long-running jet ski scandal will be delayed at least another three months as city officials settle disagreements over insurance coverage.

At a March 29 meeting, Deputy Mayor Ronakit Ekasingh said the committee formed to end the scams dropped the Feb. 28 deadline by which Pattaya’s jet ski operators had to register for insurance and has not set a new one

continued :

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/insurance-conflicts-delay-jet-ski-scandal-resolution-at-least-3-months-24412?ref=pmci

The only way to get the police to act is to film the cops in action and blow it up all over Youtube. Get a DSLR and some 70 - 200 lenses, and film them from even further away so they dont know.

Actually, F- that, I know how to pass off under them with a sound recorder.

they got 3 guys that looked Korean today. the aggression starts as the jetskis are being landed to put them on the defense before they even have looked for damage. police in uniforms there taking their cut as well

Reverse logic runs strong in Thailand. Bangkok has arguably the dirtiest air and worst traffic snarls in Thailand, yet its properties command the highest prices. Pattaya has arguably the most aggressive number of katoy per sq.M, and on-going jet ski extortion, yet the tourists keep going there. What gives?

Reverse logic runs strong in Thailand. Bangkok has arguably the dirtiest air and worst traffic snarls in Thailand, yet its properties command the highest prices. Pattaya has arguably the most aggressive number of katoy per sq.M, and on-going jet ski extortion, yet the tourists keep going there. What gives?

You don't think the traffic in Pattaya is bad? Ladyboys are the least of our problems. Police "activities" are high on the list of "annoyances" here.

• Like 2

You don't think the traffic in Pattaya is bad? Ladyboys are the least of our problems. Police "activities" are high on the list of "annoyances" here.

Sorry to hear that, I guess.

Sorry to hear that, I guess.

Well, with the high concentration of easy pickings (tourists) in a small area, they get naughty.

Who should we blame for the jetski scams? We can't really blame the scammers because anywhere in the world where scammers (criminals) are given free reign they will proliferate. They go one step further here. The police help them and share in the spoils.

The best option would be to get rid of all the jetskis along the beach and set them up in a restricted area well away from swimmers. How many more swimmers need to die before something is done?

• Like 1