Online Ordering Of Electronic/Electrical Items

Pib

Just as FYI for those of you who tinker with electronics/electrical items and need parts, Electronic Source (ES) in Bangkok has a good selection of parts, good prices, specs for the items, deliver fast, and their webpage is in Thai or English. It's easy and fast to register on on their web site and you can pay with credit card or ATM/internet banking funds transfer. ES website follows: Link

Sunday night I registered on their website, spent an hour or so selecting some components for my shopping card, and then logged off until Monday morning. Monday morning I rounded-out my shopping cart and placed the order. I immediately followed up in paying for the order via funds transfer to their SCB account using my Bangkok Bank internet banking. I then logged back on the ES website to send notice of payment. I checked the status of the order online and it showed payment pending/shipping pending. A few hours later I logged on again and it said payment rec'd and EMS shipping scheduled for Tuesday. This morning/Wednesday the postman delivered my order. The parts arrived packaged very well and the electronic components were in ziplock type bags with labels fully identifying the part number, quantity, etc. Basically 48 hours from order to delivery.

While ES has a good selection they don't have everything that I may want. If any of you have any "Thai company websites" which you have personally used for online ordering of electronic/electrical parts, I would appreciate some crossfeed on the site(s). Thanks and Cheers.

Towards the bottom of the pinned list of online stores I have a list for electronics. Elements 14(Farnell Electronics) and Futurlec I have ordered many times from. ETT & ES is also on that list and order indirectly from them from a local distributor in Chiang Mai.

Tywais... Thank for posting the link to the online stores. Didn't realize there was a pinned topic on this.

And Pib.... I have used Futurlec with great results so put them on your radar. They accept VISA credit cards so it turn out to be faster than doing bank transfers. Their email help response is very efficient as well.

Towards the bottom of the pinned list of online stores I have a list for electronics. Elements 14(Farnell Electronics) and Futurlec I have ordered many times from. ETT & ES is also on that list and order indirectly from them from a local distributor in Chiang Mai.

Tywais... Thank for posting the link to the online stores. Didn't realize there was a pinned topic on this.

And Pib.... I have used Futurlec with great results so put them on your radar. They accept VISA credit cards so it turn out to be faster than doing bank transfers. Their email help response is very efficient as well.

Thanks for the Futuriec info....I'll check out their website. ES also accepts credit cards but I don't like giving out my credit card number to Thai companies (actually I would prefer not to give it to any company with the periodic hacking of credit card info we hear about on the news...but as mentioned I'm very leery of Thai companies maintaining my credit card info). Know if a company does PayPal, then no problem since you can pay with your credit card but the merchant don't get your credit card info...they only get the PayPal payment. But ES don't do PayPal. Hopefully PayPal won't get hacked. Bank transfers are fast when using internet banking with only a small fee in the 12 to 25 baht range at Bangkok Bank and how fast you want the transfer/payment to flow...25 baht does an immediate transfer/payment.....15 baht late afternoon transfer/payment...and 12 baht next day late afternoon transfer/payment.

A couple of items I ordered form ES were some 20mm/190 joules Metal Oxide Varisters (MOV) so I could add/upgrade the surge protection in power strips around the house and at the mother-in-law's house. Upgraded one power strip last night...one or two more to be done today. I'm adding three MOVs per strip...a MOV from the Line to Neutral, Line to Ground, and Neutral to Ground to give protection in all three modes versus just the Line-Neutral mode which is typical for many power strips that say they come with surge protection. I did all three modes since it's a misconception that surges only occur between two wires..the line (hot) and neutral wires. So, if only using one MOV across the L & N, and both lines (L & N) get zapped with the same surge of equal voltage, there is no voltage difference detected between the lines; therefore, the MOV protection don't work. So, if you use three MOVs across the different wires as mentioned above the surge will be detected and suppressed. The power strip I upgraded last night only had the L-N protection and had the typical, smaller MOV of 10mm/85 joules. Now this strip has 190 joule protection on all three possible modes which a surge could develop across. And I know a few of my cheaper strips ain't got any MOV/surge protection. Yea, I know you can buy power strips with MOV/surge protection but usually this protection is low surge/joules protection and only across one mode (L to N)....plus the strips can get pricey. Of course with all that being said, even the best, most expensive surge protected power strip (like the Belkin models) can not protect against a lightning strike. And I'm too lazy to implement the best surge protection during a thunderstrom by running around the two story house and unhooking everything from wall outlets and cable TV feeds. :D