Elephant Rampage: Tragedy Strikes Phuket Honeymooners

webfact

Elephant rampage: Tragedy strikes Phuket honeymooners

phuket-1-11019yGVhTvJEwkiUAjPBphpjkeJDGi.jpg

Mrs Meia remains in hospital with multiple broken bones in her leg

with her husband, Mr Perepelitsyn, at her side.

phuket-4-11019ZPhkvDbrVAcbUQIKApDfiYQWpW.jpg

Captain (right) allegedly staged an unprovoked attack on the Ukrainian's

elephant. In a previous incident last year, Captain went on a rampage,

sending a Swedish tourist to hospital with broken legs.

PHUKET: -- A Ukrainian couple’s honeymoon turned to tragedy when a bull elephant went berserk on a Phuket trekking tour, attacking the female elephant she and her husband were riding.

Tetiana Meia, 26, suffered clean breaks to her left femur, right tibia (shin bone) and right fibula, along with scrapes and bruises all over her body when “Captain”, a bull elephant at Camp Chang in Kalim, attacked the elephant she was riding with her husband, Artem Perepelitsyn, 24.

Mr Perepelitsyn suffered a puncture wound and deep cuts to his left ankle and foot.

Although the incident occurred on September 12, the newlyweds came forward this afternoon after reading on the Phuket Gazette website that, contrary to what the owner of Camp Chang told them, Captain had been involved in a rampage in January 2010 which sent tourists running for their lives and a Swedish man to hospital with a broken leg.

“We were riding on the elephant side by side, with my wife to the left of me, for about five minutes when it happened,” Mr Artem said.

“I turned to look behind me and I could see Captain running uphill toward us,” Mrs Meia said.

Captain was carrying two American tourists and a mahout at the time, she said.

“Captain charged with his tusks into the right side of our elephant, and then again, and again,” Mr Perepelitsyn said.

On the third blow, the couple’s elephant fell onto its left side, pinning Mrs Meia to the ground. The mahout was able to jump off the beast, but the Ukrainians were trapped in the seat fastened to the elephant’s back.

“The guy from the camp had tied a strap across our laps and when we fell, it came up and tightened, so we couldn’t get off the elephant. I somehow managed to pull myself out, but my wife was stuck,” Mr Perepelitsyn said.

“After we went down, Captain continued attacking, pushing our elephant and my wife along the ground,” he said.

“We were screaming and I thought I was going to die because I couldn’t feel anything and [the elephant] and I were sliding and sliding,” a tearful Mrs Meia said.

“I said to Artem, ‘Goodbye, I love you,’,” she said.

Finally one of the staff cut the strap with a knife and a frantic Mr Perepelitsyn was able to pull his wife free.

Mrs Meia was transported to Phuket International Hospital where she has since had titanium plates attached to bones in both of her legs to keep them stable. She remains bedridden but hopes to be able to bend her knees and fly home to Odessa, where she works as a travel agent, sometime next week, she said.

Mr Perepelitsyn, an IT business owner, is able to get around on crutches as his left ankle and foot heal.

Camp Chang owner Trin Khanwilaikul has declined to comment to the Gazette about this latest incident, but in the 2010 incident she blamed Captain’s behavior on a mahout.

The newlywed Ukranians were satisfied with Ms Trin’s handling of the matter until she went silent after the pair asked for monetary compensation.

“[Ms Trin] came to visit us every day, but lately she’s told us she’s too busy to come. Because we talked about money and I showed her [the Gazette article about the previous attack] and maybe she’s scared,” Mr Perepelitsyn said.

“We still don’t know who is going to pay for this. We only want a minimal amount to cover medical costs. We need money for future treatment,” he added.

“Ms Trin had told us that nothing like this had ever happened, that this was the first time,” Ms Meia said.

“I want the company to stop using this elephant,” she added.

“I would like these camps to use only female elephants and to make sure they are not too close together on the trails. And, if you’re going to do one of these treks, I want you to think about your family and friends. Think a thousand times before you go on an elephant,” Mr Perepelitsyn said.

Asked if she would consider getting back on an elephant, Mrs Meia smiled and said, “Never”.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/detail.asp?id=11019

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-09-23

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a horrifying story & I hope the couple at least get full compensation for their medical expenses. I wonder if there are any regulations to cover this industry. Seems like they are able to operate with impunity although they must be paying someone. It is widely known elephants can suffer from depression & little wonder given the conditions they are forced to live & work in here in Phuket. As usual the owner does not seem willing to accept any responsibility & pointing the finger at the mahout for Captain's previous rampage.

Incidents such as this & in other industries will continue forever & a day, with tragic consequences, until business owners are forced to accept responsibility for the actions within their companies.

Yet another tale of woe emanating from the massive unregulated and rampant abuse of animals in Thailand......

I'm an optimist and believe that the more foreigners become aware of these travesties and the outrageous attempts by Thai businesses to cover them up, the more likely steps will be taken to prevent this sort of thing and improve animal husbandry in Thailand.

sympathies to the injured - I hope they get satisfactory compensation for a ruined honeymoon.

Edited by cowslip

Why don't people buy insurance? That's what it's there for......the unexpected. And surely, the camp is licensed and thus has insurance coverage, too? The Gazette should do more than a 'happy ending' story like this and start to do some investigative journalism - and while they are at it, not use terms such as tragedy which implies loss of life. Horror would be more appropriate.

This happens a lot. A couple of times / year.

Why do people continue to ride elephants?

Sit on the beach instead.

I couldn't agree with you more; these are wild animals, let them be.

Plenty of other distractions available.

When you run a tourist business, the last person you want to have a tragic experience is a travel agent, especially from Eastern Europe where increasing numbers of tourists are booking to Thailand. Also, with all that time this couple is going to have being immobile in Phuket, they will have plenty of opportunities to learn about all of the other problems tourists are experiencing there.

A woman suffering a broken leg is hardly a bloody tragedy as the headline would suggest.

Many of these elephants were trained for jobs in logging but have since been made 'redundant'. They are dependant on humans and I dont believe they could easily be released into the wild.

A better solution needs to be found for these animals.

Elephants are wild animals, they are not domestic.

I wish all injured people a speedy recovery but I wish people would respect these animals a more and not turn them into a form of entertainment.

Wild? - well that depends....

Elephants are used by humans and have been for centuries in a "domesticated" situation

Essentially they come into service in 2 ways - either bred from captive elephants and in effect are domesticated or directly from the wild.

However the males are NEVER truly domesticated and in season can be dangerous - it is a mystery why anyone who keeps elephants would allow the public to come into contact with males.

PS - check out how they are "broken" from the wild.....horrific is an understatement.

As stated above most of the elephants in Thailand are "redundant" logging animals.

to blithely classify them as "wild" really doesn't address the issue at all.

If these animals are "wild" where do they come from and were should they go?

In fat as ex-workers they need to be kept on reserves and looked after.

Unfortunately there is money to be made out of elephants in tourism and now many wild animals are being smuggled in from Burma and sold into cruelty and slavery.

Thailand, as ever, does virtually nothing about this as animal welfare is little more than curio in this country.

Edited by cowslip

A woman suffering a broken leg is hardly a bloody tragedy as the headline would suggest.

Many of these elephants were trained for jobs in logging but have since been made 'redundant'. They are dependant on humans and I dont believe they could easily be released into the wild.

There is another solution ... elephant sanctuaries. Like the one just outside of Lampang - albeit that when I visited some years ago they did give elephant rides.

But whilst there is no other employment for those involved in the exploitation of these beasts , then things like this will happen.

And why do people continue to rent jetskis? Money is extorted for the same damage everyday multiple times a day.

And why do people buy ladyboys from beach road? They get drugged and have all their belongings stolen.

I thought that elephant driving was still safer than tuk-tuk driving in Phuket! I just happens less frequently than with tuk tuk drivers, where it has become a daily event, not always reported! :ermm::blink:

Edited by dude007

I wish all injured people a speedy recovery but I wish people would respect these animals a more and not turn them into a form of entertainment.

Sorry for the nitpick and I'm not advocating the use of animals for entertainment but: the fact is Asian Elephants are domesticated as well as wild (just as many animals are) and have been for many centuries.

Just looking at the pictures of the Elephant camp, it look disgusting so suppose the conditions for the Elephants is not good.

These places should be regulated and checked regularly by a government vet, unfortunately like Jet Skis, Tuk Tuks, Taxis, Baht Buses, Bar Girls, Lady Boys, Timeshare sellers, etc., they all help relieve the tourists of their money which is used to persuade those who should do something about it to look the other way.

Edited by Basil B

100% Agree

If you 100% agree that elephants "are not domestic", then you are 100% incorrect. biggrin.gif

Why don't people buy insurance? That's what it's there for......the unexpected. And surely, the camp is licensed and thus has insurance coverage, too? The Gazette should do more than a 'happy ending' story like this and start to do some investigative journalism - and while they are at it, not use terms such as tragedy which implies loss of life. Horror would be more appropriate.

Totally agree with the lack of a responsible journalistic follow up regarding the usual issues here. With every tragedy humans should learn from it. Not just make a slap happy notice my 5 your old could do....

There are so many of these tours and tourist attractions that involve abuse of animals such as tigers and elephants and are also extremely dangerous to the innocent tourists who assume that normal safety standards must apply in Thailand.

100% Agree

If you 100% agree that elephants "are not domestic", then you are 100% incorrect. biggrin.gif

A bit like horses. Its still possible to buy Brumbies in oz !

That is a well-worn argument that is no long valid. The former logging elephants have been out of that trade for a long time. A huge percentage of these elephants were born and raised in captivity, thus knowing nothing of a natural life. Tourists want to see and pet baby elephants and the elephant camps are more than happy to keep pumping out new 'products' for them. Plus, a lot of elephants are now being smuggled from surrounding countries.

No, they can't easily be released into the wild. A big part of the solution is to STOP BREEDING THEM in CAPTIVITY! The most difficult part is going to be getting the local elephant camps to give a dam_n and for tourists to start caring about their impact while on vacation.

I don't feel very sorry for these victims. I do hope she recovers, but they should have known better. There is a TON of information about elephant abuse online (in every language). With minimal effort, they could have found that this activity is not without its risk... lesson learned. I hope they tell everyone that they know. That would be a step in a positive direction.

The "Tragedy" is the way elephants and almost all other animals are treated in this country. Compassion is a myth.

...the fact is Asian Elephants are domesticated as well as wild (just as many animals are) and have been for many centuries.

History is not justification for anything. History is where lessons should be learned. Simply because elephants have been abused (domesticated by brutal force) for centuries, that in no way justifies it.

Using the same logic, should we reintroduce slavery? ...not that it ever really disappeared completely.

I couldn't agree with you more; these are wild animals, let them be.

Plenty of other distractions available.

While I agree there are many questions to be answered regarding these elephant camps I also wonder what would happen to the elephants without them.

Would they exist at all, they certainly couldn't all live in the wild, there probably isn't enough safe wild areas for all the 'semi domesticated' Thai elephants. My sympathies to this couple.

Lets hope their horrific experience is taken note of by someone in authority that is able to do something about regulating these camps and making them a safer place for tourists to be.

What a horrifying story & I hope the couple at least get full compensation for their medical expenses. I wonder if there are any regulations to cover this industry. Seems like they are able to operate with impunity although they must be paying someone. It is widely known elephants can suffer from depression & little wonder given the conditions they are forced to live & work in here in Phuket. As usual the owner does not seem willing to accept any responsibility & pointing the finger at the mahout for Captain's previous rampage.

Incidents such as this & in other industries will continue forever & a day, with tragic consequences, until business owners are forced to accept responsibility for the actions within their companies.

full compensation, what would that amount to in a 5th world country?

the mahout! who employed him, who pays his wages. If this Trin runs the place one would assume she does so she is responsible for compensation.

who are the authorities responsible for overseeing the place? it's clear that they have been sitting on their collective fat rings and turning a blind eye

will it happen again? almost certainly "why" because TIT

In an ideal environment you are correct.

But if you were the Phuket Gazette's editor would you conduct serious investigative journalism?

You wold be spoiled for choice where to start with the peculiar deaths, scams, racketeering, tuk-tuk wars,

mafiosi, Burmese labour, dangerous tour operators on land and sea not to mention our friends in bruin.

The last few published issues would certainly be worth reading followed by the memorial service.

As for the unfortunate couple concerned she works in the travel industry and should have insurance as a matter of course.

She should however take this issue up TAT and possibly file a police complaint and her consul.