New Kawasaki Versys 2011 Leaking Oil And

vacationman

Well I have owned probally 20+ brand new motorcycles in my lifetime and never had one to

LEAK OIL from day ONe.

Purchased my new 2011 Kawasaki Versys on Tuesday and drove it 2 km home.

Noticed a oil leak about 2 inches (5 CM) when I parked.

Figured it was from oil on the chain.

However after riding around town for the past few days I noticed the same leak about 2 inches

every time I stopped.

Soooo took back to the Kawasaki Shop.

They work on it for about 15 minutes.

Mechanic comes over and says this LEAK is normal.

They put special type oil in Motorcycle for Break In Period.

QUESTION: has anyone else had this same problem.

Doesn't sound NORMAL to me.

Thanks for your input.

i dont think its normal unless they put in too much oil the first time (special break in oil thats supposed to leak out sounds like <deleted> to me :rolleyes: ,ive owned a good few bikes from new and never had a brand new bike that was leaking oil but theres a few things you can try

first with a cold engine ,check the oil level every morning (if its still full ,youve nothing to worry about ) if it isnt then...............

leave the engine running in neutral gear for 15 minutes or so and get down and try and see where the oil is coming from

get someone to rev the engine and see if small droplets spews out of anywhere like an overflow valve (put a few sheets of white paper under the bike will help show up smaller leaks )

get some tools and make sure all the nuts are tight anywhere oil could be leaking from ,thai mechanics cannot be trusted with simple tasks

Edited by wana

Not normal unless a Triumphwhistling.gif

From another forum.

Suggest clean your bike and engine. Remove the right side plastic bottom cowling. Place it (bike) on a clean floor (with cardboard or newspaper under it) and start her up for a while.

If there is an oil leak, maybe able to see where is it coming from.

Unrelated to bikes.

I went to Vancouver airport once as some vintage aircraft had arrived en route to an air show. A B29 and a Heinkel 111. Parked on the apron the B29 had dirty drip trays under each engine. The Heinkel was parked without drip trays on spotless concrete.

Joke

Guy on a Truimph pulls up at a gas station. " fill 'er up and add 1/2 pint of oil"

After filling the gas tank the attendant unfamiliar with bikes and dry sump asks "Where do I put the oil"

Rider takes a drag on cigarette and replies.

"Just pour it on the ground that will save some time".

A Triumph anecdote

When I was a kid a guy in the village bought an old triumph which had a whinny gear box. Having heard stories about putting sawdust in old differentials to quieten then down a bit he decided that was the right thing to do so he put some sawdust in the dry sump tank.

His bike lasted about 20 miles.

Edited by VocalNeal

needpics1.gif

Where's the oil coming from???

From the engine... :lol::lol::lol:

Are you sure? The OP doesn't seem to know where the oil is coming from...

Noticed a oil leak about 2 inches (5 CM) when I parked.

Figured it was from oil on the chain.

:rolleyes:

55555... No, I`m not sure :lol:

It shouldn't leak. Never had a leak on my V...

A leak can be normal if they put too much oil in it. Stand the bike up straight and take a look at the oil level window on the engine, you should see if it's too much.

Where did you buy it?

Thanks for all the replys guys.

Purchased at Chiang Mai.

It's currently in the shop.

They are going to TRY to reply a seal or "O" Ring.

Or that's what they say.

No, no problem with oil however; a problem with shifting to the third gear.Never happened before I was told. After a 2000 km the problem is not completely solved.I think it is because of the indirect shifting (adjustment)The Chiang Mai delaer is alone so he has not to worry about the competition. One can see that.Very difficult to get any to the point information. Only talk to the boss now.

the dealer's line is BS. And, no its not normal for a Jap bike, and no they dont use a 'special' oil that makes it leak. A case bolt or head bolt is likely loose from the factory, and now the oil has a path that may be hard to stop w/o gasket/o-ring replacement - hours and money they don't want to expend.

Next thing is: you need to work a little harder. ID'ing a leak location is NOT that hard. Do it, then go to the dealer w/ that ammo. GO to that mechanic/service dept boss first, show him the leak location and tell him to fix it for free. No joy, just keep going up the ladder. Keep us posted on this thread, and best of luck. They OWE you a drip-free engine.

the dealer's line is BS. . They OWE you a drip-free engine.

+1

give them hell until they sort it !!!!! ,

the kawa versys is a bike id consider buying but its hard to justify a 650cc at the moment because i dont get outta bangkok enough to use it to its capabilities

" special leaking oil" is a classic though ......gotta admit ,thats priceless :D

Come to think of it - my prior bike, an ER-6n was burning oil but it was just some hoses that weren't connected properly. Kawa CM fixed it on the second attempt.

Keep going back there, and talk to one of the bosses - Khun Nop or his brother. The brother - whose name escapes me right now - is usually around the shop, he knows the bike, and he owns a Versys himself. So they should be able to fix this.

Come to think of it - my prior bike, an ER-6n was burning oil but it was just some hoses that weren't connected properly. Kawa CM fixed it on the second attempt.

Keep going back there, and talk to one of the bosses - Khun Nop or his brother. The brother - whose name escapes me right now - is usually around the shop, he knows the bike, and he owns a Versys himself. So they should be able to fix this.

Is he the really tall guy there?

Mr. Falang Added Tax lol

If it is him, I personally wouldn't want to deal withhim if I had to.

The worst of the bunch there in my experience.

Does the oil puddle contain droplets of water? Might be an idea to check your cooling system header tank for liquid loss which might indicate coolant leakage into the oil.

if the coolant is leaking into the oil, the oil will look like a mocha freeze/frappe - look in the sight glass if you have one.

Mr. Falang Added Tax lol

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about...

Mr. Falang Added Tax lol

apparently theres a tall skinny guy working there and he likes to overcharge farangs for everything :jap:

Mr. Falang Added Tax lol

apparently theres a tall skinny guy working there and he likes to overcharge farangs for everything :jap:

Do you even own a Kawasaki??? <_<

Mr. Falang Added Tax lol

not since a few years have i owned a kawasaki but thats beside the point ,if you took the time to read the thread there is several people complaining

about a certain guy in that shop who quotes higher prices than other staff members in the same shop :whistling:

is there some rule that says i must have a kawasaki to remember what people write ?:rolleyes:

Edited by wana

Mr. Falang Added Tax lol

This sounds like kawa krabi town man quoted me 5000 to register bike plus another 2000 to get bike delivered to shop seems customer has to pay for Kawasaki distribution network

Needless to say did not buy bike and kawa lost 160k sale

not since a few years have i owned a kawasaki but thats beside the point ,if you took the time to read the thread there is several people complaining

about a certain guy in that shop who quotes higher prices than other staff members in the same shop :whistling:

is there some rule that says i must have a kawasaki to remember what people write ?:rolleyes:

No, you are wrong. There was ONE person who complained of being overcharged by Kawasaki Chiang Mai:

snapback.pngmrclough, on 2011-09-27 22:09:54, said:

Mr. Falang Added Tax lol

If it is him, I personally wouldn't want to deal with him if I had to.

Then you repeat the complaint as if it's fact.

But neither Nikster (who has purchased at least two bikes from the Chiang Mai dealer) nor myself have any idea who he's talking about.

I've used Chiang Mai Kawasaki for service and parts on several occasions and they have always been honest, professional and courteous.

Chiang Mai Kawasaki is one of the better dealers in the country IMO.

Phuket and Pattaya are another story :whistling:

No, you are wrong. There was ONE person who complained of being overcharged by Kawasaki Chiang Mai:

Mr. Falang Added Tax lol

obviously you should get a dictionary and look up the word "apparently" :whistling: i never said it was a fact and neither did anyone else kimosavi ;)

and just because youve had a good experience at a certain shop does that make "mcclough" and "taninthai" and the op all

liars for posting their own experiences of worse service at kawa cmx ?

what reason would they all have to lie ?

Mr. Falang Added Tax lol

obviously you should get a dictionary and look up the word "apparently" :whistling: i never said it was a fact and neither did anyone else kimosavi ;)

and just because youve had a good experience at a certain shop does that make "mcclough" and "taninthai" and the op all

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt :lol:

"kimosavi"??? :huh:

If you're going to make odd references to the Lone Ranger at least get your spelling right, ok Kimosabe? ;)

05-Kemosabe.jpg

Re-read taninthai's post. Krabi is not CNX last I checked :rolleyes:

Ride On!

T

KhaoKho39.jpg

Edited by BigBikeBKK

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt :lol:

"kimosavi"??? :huh:

If you're going to make odd references to the Lone Ranger at least get your spelling right, ok Kimosabe? ;)

05-Kemosabe.jpg

Re-read taninthai's post. Krabi is not CNX last I checked :rolleyes:

Ride On!

T

KhaoKho39.jpg

when youre checking that dictionary ,also look up the words "condescending prick " B)

ride on !

Edited by wana