Retirement Visa Extension

Hi,

i searched for answers on this forum but could not find any..

my question is:

you are in thailand on a retirement visa, you have a degenerative (ie parkinsons / alzheimer) disease that eventually means not being able to move/speak, but plan to stay in thai until your last days

what happens when the visa expires?? if you are not able to go to immigration by yourelf??

Well, I do not have your answer, but can share my limited experience. One day, at Immigration, I saw a hospital bed with a man in it, attached to, I guess, an IV drip.

Bumrungard Hospital, as also Buddy's Lodge, has at least once -a month visits by Immigration.. Perhaps some officer leaves their office area and visits rooms????

What I am trying to say is there must be some accommodation for your case.

Apparently they do go to the home to check on the validity of marriage visas

Perhaps a friend could go to one of the 3 Immigration sites, and find out for you.. If you need help in that regard, PM me..

May your health improve.

Perhaps give a friend limited power of attorney only to handle your Immigration business, if need be.

When I had my stroke in 2008 and was hospitalised, my wife just phoned immigration and told them.

Months later when I was home from hospital they offered to "visit" at home for a small fee, I think under 1000 baht.

But I was on a marriage extension not a retirement as only 42 but the same will apply.

Edited by croftrobin

It's my understanding that the immigration offices can be fairly accomodating if you've lived in the same area for a while, they've gotten to know you, etc. If it's a degenerative disease, you'd have time to explain your situation to them and ask them yourself. If you're hospitalized, the hospital can notify them. Your consulate/embassy could help as well. They will make home visits for someone they know.