Driving On Holiday

SebD

Oh my giddy aunt.

So much information, most of it useful, but much of it conflicting (where's the "head-spinning" emoticon, when you need it?):huh:

Having grilled my lady (who's son's car I intend driving), she assures me that it's fully insured (she should know, as it's she that pays it) and that either son is insured to drive the car as is as any of her brothers, cousins, uncles or friends.

It's a nice black Audi limo with tinted glass (so no-one will see it's a farang driving it until said farang opens the door and gets out - which is probably good). Not a cheap car, by any stretch of the imagination, so I can't imagine her not insuring it properly.

That said, I will certainly take the advice offered and not take that for granted inasmuch that I'll get the documentation checked, once I'm over there, and pay the difference if necessary to make sure I'm properly covered.

I'm also minded to get an International Driving Permit (it is, after all, only £5.50). If it was £50 I might do without but for the sake of a £iver it's probably better to have one than not to.

Despite there being no obvious, clear and definitive answer to my original question, I think we've pretty much cracked it so thanks to everyone who chipped-in.

:wai:

Ignore the rubbish posted just above.

All cars are insured here for 3rd party injuries (which is minimum required by law) as you have to have it to tax the car. That means whatever type of insurance your friends have you will still legally be able to drive the vehicles. If your friends have paid extra for fully comprehensive insurance then all the better, but many people don't bother.

For the driving license you will be fine with just your UK one although you can get the International one as well if you want.

In Thailand traffic laws and regulations are enforced very loosely and people pay little respect to them in the first place. You could drive around with no license and no insurance for years and you would have no problems except perhaps having to give a little tea money to the police here and there. So at the end of the day, relax and enjoy your driving.

wrong on Insurance

compulsory Insurance covers max 50.000 baht for people in vehicle limited to how many vehicle is reg for, thats max 3 people for a 2+2 door pickup, nothing 3rd party.

additional 3rd party can be purchased covering up to 10 x 1 mill personal and 5 mill property

My mistake, although I believe the pay out has just been increased to a maximum of 300,000 baht.

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/chonburi-official-outlines-coming-changes-to-car-insurance-4455

So,, even with all you Happy Motorists out there, not even a Mighty Cruze driver can post an example of being asked for one, or given a citation for not having one...., or asked by the Insurance , or is this a James Bond thing . :blink: .

was driving here for 8 years before i bothered to get a TH DL. Homecountry lisence. a few insurance claims every year. never had an IDP. asked by cops if my lisence is internatinal, and of course reply yes. even cop asking for IDP, there is no requirement for it if you have UK DL.

BTW my son at 16 used his library card to rent shadow 400. pulled over by bib, just said yes its international ;)

So,, even with all you Happy Motorists out there, not even a Mighty Cruze driver can post an example of being asked for one, or given a citation for not having one...., or asked by the Insurance , or is this a James Bond thing . :blink: .

was driving here for 8 years before i bothered to get a TH DL. Homecountry lisence. a few insurance claims every year. never had an IDP. asked by cops if my lisence is internatinal, and of course reply yes. even cop asking for IDP, there is no requirement for it if you have UK DL.

BTW my son at 16 used his library card to rent shadow 400. pulled over by bib, just said yes its international ;)

I hear what everyone is saying about how easy it is to hoodwink the BIB if I were "pulled-over".

But what if I DID have an accident?

What if there was a lot of expensive damage as a result?

What if there was a serious injury (or worse) as a result?

I wouldn't be comfortable trying to hoodwink an insurance/police investigating, then, with my International Library Card :lol:

For the sake of £5 or so, IDP and proper insurance is worth the peace of mind, for me.

I don't drive without insurance or with a drink in me, at home.

My conscience (and sense of civic responsibility) won't let me do so in Thailand.

I hear what everyone is saying about how easy it is to hoodwink the BIB if I were "pulled-over".

But what if I DID have an accident?

What if there was a lot of expensive damage as a result?

What if there was a serious injury (or worse) as a result?

I wouldn't be comfortable trying to hoodwink an insurance/police investigating, then, with my International Library Card :lol:

For the sake of £5 or so, IDP and proper insurance is worth the peace of mind, for me.

I don't drive without insurance or with a drink in me, at home.

My conscience (and sense of civic responsibility) won't let me do so in Thailand.

as my son was renting a shadow 400 motocy, it does not come with any insurance anyway, as almost all rental bikes. so daddy would have to pay ;)

just like if he wrecks my vtx 1800 or ninja 650

1. Oh my giddy aunt. So much information, most of it useful, but much of it conflicting (where's the "head-spinning" emoticon, when you need it?):huh:

2. Having grilled my lady (who's son's car I intend driving), she assures me that it's fully insured (she should know) nice car etc, So I can't imagine her not insuring it properly.

3. That said, I will certainly take the advice offered and not take that for granted in as much that I'll get the documentation checked, once I'm over there.

4. Despite there being no obvious, clear and definitive answer to my original question, I think we've pretty much cracked it so thanks to everyone who chipped-in.

:wai:

Dear Sebadee

Regards 1. I would of found it good information if you take out the crap.

Regards 2. I could imagine it very easily. :whistling:

Regards 3. Absolutely correct, we are getting you on board now. i.e. take insurance papers to insurance office and check with them and pay extra if you have to. :)

Regards 4. Obvious answer already written i.e. UK full drivers license valid in Thailand for 90 days, say thankyou kbb. :jap:

Relax and enjoy you driving time.

Edited by Kwasaki

So you are telling us we don't need a DL? Or is it a show off how "clever" your son is? :ermm:

So you are telling us we don't need a DL? Or is it a show off how "clever" your son is? :ermm:

clever semper

of course we need drivers lisence, and as I posted previously in this topic, most of us need TH DL

An ex rally driver having claims EVERY year. :huh: You are Scandinavian and have a UK license ?.

An ex rally driver having claims EVERY year. :huh: You are Scandinavian and have a UK license ?.

Have had bikes hit my cars every single year, some years more than 5 times. This is Phuket and Hua Hin. Crowded with kids riding bikes. and some cars used for schoolruns.

Nothing to do when standing still in a jam, and hear the terrible noise of a scratch

The Uk lisence was adressing OP

Have had bikes hit my cars every single year, some years more than 5 times. This is Phuket and Hua Hin. Crowded with kids riding bikes. and some cars used for schoolruns.

Nothing to do when standing still in a jam, and hear the terrible noise of a scratch

The Uk lisence was adressing OP

OK, time for you to move location. :lol: