Driving On Holiday

SebD

Hopefully someone can offer some help.

I'm on my way to Thailand soon and am looking forward to driving myself around rather than rely wholly on public transport all the time. I have a friend who lives in Pattaya and he has offered me the use of one of his cars.

What should I do in order to drive it?

I have a full UK driving license - do I need to obtain an International one or do I need to get a Thai one when I'm over?

How do I make sure I'm insured? Can I insure myself to drive a vehicle in Thailand before I leave the UK or does it have to be in Thailand? If so, can my pal simply add me to his insurance (assuming he's got any) for the duration of my stay (roughly a month).

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Get yourself an IDP (International Driving Permit), IIRC you can get from the AA or RAC (maybe the post office too) for a fiver or so. Most police are happy with a foreign licence but always best to be safe as an IDP is supposed to be used.

If you're on any type of non-immigrant visa a local licence is quick and easy.

Thai insurance covers the vehicle, so as he's not got a named driver only policy (slightly cheaper) you're good to go.

Insurance here is very good. Your friend will no doubt have Full Insurance in Patts, so you are covered. Unlike English Insurance they dont have one million Get Out clauses. I.E. Windscreen not Covered. Named Drivers.Over 30 Y.O. There may be a Prob should you have a Major Prang with no Thai Licence,some companies state full cover needs a Thai Licence in the small print. Ive never found any use for Internationall Licence in my life, but some folks like the sound of it i guess.. I use A.I.S.,they listen to you, and your personall requirements never get dismissed with a "Dont Do Dat.". Brit Licence no prob for one month .Unless you are experianced, Patts is very dangerous. i use Bht Bus and put the Car Away :jap: .

your UK lisence is fully legal for 90 days in TH, as long as it has a photo (and english language ;) )

you should have a copy of car insurance in car, and make sure it is not limited to named drivers.

If in accident, do not accept blame, but smile, call Insurance and shut up and let them do the talking

Ive never heard of named drivers here,but suppose you can, but what if an emergency occurs. ?.You would look a Ferang Nit.Wit.just for a few bucks extra.

If you go with name drivers, some insurance companies give you a discount, not too sure but I think they only do it on No.1 insurance, maybe someone can clarify.

Ive never heard of named drivers here,but suppose you can, but what if an emergency occurs. ?.You would look a Ferang Nit.Wit.just for a few bucks extra.

saved approx 20% on our 2008 Accord when new, as i recall it was down from 30k baht to 24k baht year for 1,5 million baht car

as we where only two drivers on this car, no problem

Thanks for all the replies.

My "friend" is, in point of fact, my Thai lady's son (he's 30 years of age) and both he and his brother and also their uncles all drive any and all of the vehicles they own, between them.

Do you think it safe to assume, therefore, that their respective insurances cover all drivers?

As I don't read Thai, it would be impossible for me to check whether or not the policy is restricted to "owner-driver" only and, according to most replies, that would seem unlikely in any case, in Thailand, unlike here in UK.

I guess all I can do is ask the question (even though they will as like as not have little idea what I'm talking about :huh:).

I was wondering, I suppose, if I could make sure by obtaining some sort of "global holiday driving insurance" for myself before I go.

Maybe I worry too much as I've not had an accident in 30 years and have driven many major cities (New York, Miami, London, Paris etc., etc).

Also, I have no desire to drive in Pattaya City, itself. I want to use the car to get out and about. I agree wholeheartedly with the notion of public transport and going on foot, in Pattaya itself.

Thanks again for the advice.

I have named drivers, me and the Mrs. Cos nobody else drives my motor. Saved a bundle. :) Think l did save 30%.

OP, good advice above. Many cops have never seen an international license so carry both. When l first came here got a pull and the cop was going to give me a ticket for no Thai license until my Mrs told him what the international permit said :rolleyes: cos all in English.

Double check that their insurance IS any driver and Class 1. If not class 1 and you have an accident you could end up behind bars cos this cover covers a bail bond. Be safe cos stuff here is very different here if you have a problem.

OP, good advice above. Many cops have never seen an international license so carry both. When l first came here got a pull and the cop was going to give me a ticket for no Thai license until my Mrs told him what the international permit said :rolleyes: cos all in English.

Double check that their insurance IS any driver and Class 1. If not class 1 and you have an accident you could end up behind bars cos this cover covers a bail bond. Be safe cos stuff here is very different here if you have a problem.

Thanks for that.

I wasn't going to bother with an International Driving Permit, as it appears I can drive for up to 90 days on my UK one, but you would recommend that I do, in order to circumvent any confusion, should I be stopped by a cop and/or be involved in an accident?

Also, do you know how I can find out if their insurance is for any driver and is Class 1 (given that I can't read Thai and they can't read or write English)? Is there an identifiable and prominent sign on the insurance that says (in Thai, I presume) "CLASS 1"?

Thanks

Thanks for that.

I wasn't going to bother with an International Driving Permit, as it appears I can drive for up to 90 days on my UK one, but you would recommend that I do, in order to circumvent any confusion, should I be stopped by a cop and/or be involved in an accident?

Also, do you know how I can find out if their insurance is for any driver and is Class 1 (given that I can't read Thai and they can't read or write English)? Is there an identifiable and prominent sign on the insurance that says (in Thai, I presume) "CLASS 1"?

Thanks

My insurance has Thai and English. If these are your friends then it is a simple phone call to verify their cover, BUT IF THEY SAY, don't worry ,it OK, question it cos that is the attitude here. ;)

Thanks very much.

My insurance has Thai and English. If these are your friends then it is a simple phone call to verify their cover, BUT IF THEY SAY, don't worry ,it OK, question it cos that is the attitude here. ;)

Although I'm not quite sure what that means, are you saying DO or are you saying DON'T "question it"?

With a little luck, their insurance will be in Thai and English - same as your own - although, as they are Thai, I can't see why their insurance documents would need to be written in anything other than Thai.

As suggested, I'll get my lady to make the phone call and as you also suggested, I'll obtain an International Driving Permit - just to be on the safe side.

Cheers for the advice.

He is quite dfficult to understand, hes from London.:cheesy: .Driven all over the World and had to force people to look at an International, they aint interested , explain how it Overides a Full Brit Licence .

Yup, that might explain my difficulties, being a poor Norther soul, but I think I got it now. After re-reading it and adjusting for the Southern drawl, I believe I'm correct in that I should NOT simply accept a "Mai Pen Ari" answer, but should make further checks for my own (and potentially my bank account's) health and peace of mind.

Is that true, that an International overrides a Full British Licence? I wonder why? An International Driving Permit is only the result of a form-filling/fee-paying exercise. Hardly qualifies me any the more nor the less to drive abroad. Very quaint.

Thanks for replying and confirming my suspicion that to have an International is better than not.

Being Sunday, I can't check with them, so can anyone tell me whether or not I can get an International Driving Permit issued from, say, a Thai Consulate in UK that might be written in Thai and further help overcome any possible misunderstandings? That would be good.

Edited by SebD

He is quite dfficult to understand, hes from London.:cheesy: .Driven all over the World and had to force people to look at an International, they aint interested , explain how it Overides a Full Brit Licence .

Yup, that might explain my difficulties, being a poor Norther soul, but I think I got it now. After re-reading it and adjusting for the Southern drawl, I believe I'm correct in that I should NOT simply accept a "Mai Pen Ari" answer, but should make further checks for my own (and potentially my bank account's) health and peace of mind.

Is that true, that an International overrides a Full British Licence? I wonder why? An International Driving Permit is only the result of a form-filling/fee-paying exercise. Hardly qualifies me any the more nor the less to drive abroad. Very quaint.

Thanks for replying and confirming my suspicion that to have an International is better than not.

Being Sunday, I can't check with them, so can anyone tell me whether or not I can get an International Driving Permit issued from, say, a Thai Consulate in UK that might be written in Thai and further help overcome any possible misunderstandings? That would be good.

If you really take it to the point even an international license isn't valid here,but they accept it.

Maybe things have changed over the years,but at the time I had an international license,about 20 years ago,it was written in the license which country's this could be used and at that time there was no mention of Thailand.

Maybe things have changed over the years,but at the time I had an international license,about 20 years ago,it was written in the license which country's this could be used and at that time there was no mention of Thailand.

Yes, having checked on the UK Gov website, Thailand is now listed as being valid to drive in, on an International Driving Permit.:)

Hopefully someone can offer some help.

I'm on my way to Thailand soon and am looking forward to driving myself around rather than rely wholly on public transport all the time. I have a friend who lives in Pattaya and he has offered me the use of one of his cars.

What should I do in order to drive it?

I have a full UK driving license - do I need to obtain an International one or do I need to get a Thai one when I'm over?

How do I make sure I'm insured? Can I insure myself to drive a vehicle in Thailand before I leave the UK or does it have to be in Thailand? If so, can my pal simply add me to his insurance (assuming he's got any) for the duration of my stay (roughly a month).

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

I wouldn't take a Thai person's kind offer to just go ahead and "use their car". This can't end good for you.

All you have to do is step outside your door and stick your hand out. A taxi will be there in about 1 or 2 minutes flat. Do that until you can get your OWN car.

The last falang that accepted his Thai lady's cousin "kindness" ended up paying for the car and when the loan was paid off, they got together with a few tough guys, came to the school and threatened to beat him up if he didn't hand over the car. After all, the car was still in their name.

Trust me. Don't accept any kind offers from anyone here.

Ignore the rubbish posted just above.

All cars are insured here for 3rd party injuries (which is minimum required by law) as you have to have it to tax the car. That means whatever type of insurance your friends have you will still legally be able to drive the vehicles. If your friends have paid extra for fully comprehensive insurance then all the better, but many people don't bother.

For the driving license you will be fine with just your UK one although you can get the International one as well if you want.

In Thailand traffic laws and regulations are enforced very loosely and people pay little respect to them in the first place. You could drive around with no license and no insurance for years and you would have no problems except perhaps having to give a little tea money to the police here and there. So at the end of the day, relax and enjoy your driving.

There is no such thing as an international driving license, its an international driving permit (IDP) which in essence is a "legalised" translation of your existing valid British DL, therefore talking to a Thai consulate will not get you anywhere, your IDP will be based on your British DL, which you get from the the AA or RAC in the UK. Its use ?......some countries have a mandatory requirment that you have one to drive in their country.

My advice for Thailand...for the cost of around 5 quid, worth getting one and you are sure you are covered.

Edited by Soutpeel

And no one can say what use an International is. Its like a 90 Day Report. A no purpose money spinner.:annoyed:

Yes it has a purpose, some countries will not let you drive legally without one, some hire companies will not let you hire a car without one, and nothing like a 90 day report "money spinner" as how can the 90 day report be classed as a money spinner....???.....you dont pay for a 90 day report....:blink:

Thanks for that.

Thanks

it says what it covers

like 580k for car

10 x 1 mill 3rd party

5 mill 3rd party property

200k bailbond

self deductible, if any, usually 2k for cars

and Uk lisence, any lisence with photo and english language, is fine up to 90 days from arrival for non residents, and have been so since Th entered an agreement 8-10 years ago.

Residence definition this time, you do not have an adress here or permanent place to live, and do not own a vehicle here. when you purchase a vehicle and reg in your name, you need a certificate of residence, so you just became a resident and thus need TH DL.

So UK lisence should be supported by a copy of your passport proving you have been here for less than 90 days

All cars are insured here for 3rd party injuries (which is minimum required by law) as you have to have it to tax the car. That means whatever type of insurance your friends have you will still legally be able to drive the vehicles. If your friends have paid extra for fully comprehensive insurance then all the better, but many people don't bother.

For the driving license you will be fine with just your UK one although you can get the International one as well if you want.

In Thailand traffic laws and regulations are enforced very loosely and people pay little respect to them in the first place. You could drive around with no license and no insurance for years and you would have no problems except perhaps having to give a little tea money to the police here and there. So at the end of the day, relax and enjoy your driving.

wrong on Insurance

compulsory Insurance covers max 50.000 baht for people in vehicle limited to how many vehicle is reg for, thats max 3 people for a 2+2 door pickup, nothing 3rd party.

additional 3rd party can be purchased covering up to 10 x 1 mill personal and 5 mill property

My understanding is officially you need an international drivers permit, unless you hold a license from Singapore, malaysia, laos..after 6 months you need to get a Thai Drivers license.

It is unlikely to be enforced...but, your insurance provider might not cover you for injuries etc in an accident if you don't have the correct license. read the fine print.

Daft advice to a guy who wants no probs in Los and can go home. ;)

I think that technically speaking, you are supposed to carry both. But in my experience, if your just stopped by the old bill, then they will be quite happy with the UK license. If you get into some other, more major hassle, maybe with the insurance company involved, then they might say it's not valid unless accompanied by the IDP.

They're easy to get and it wouldn't hurt to have one.

I think when the person said 'they might say everything's ok but question it' he meant DO question it, it's the standard Thai answer to most potential problems, right up to the point where something actually happens, then quite often the people who told you 'no problem' either aren't there or just go quiet and stare at the ground.

If you're concerned that your family's insurance won't cover you, maybe you could wait till you get there and take their policy documents to their insurance agent and ask them if you're covered?