Can I Buy 'It-Bok' Cheaper Than 6 Baht?

simon43

I'm doing a couple of building projects in Phuket and need to buy about 30,000 it-boks. The best price (delivered to the airport - no it is not the runway), is 6 baht each.

Since saving 0.5 or even 1 baht will be quite a saving, does anyone know of a supplier who sells for less than 6 baht each?

Thanks

Simon

@kataytd, sorry, that is my best transliteration of the Thai word อิฐปีก which literally means brick-block, or often called 'breeze-block' in the UK. It's a building block that can be used to build walls.

Simon

and they are grey and usually measure 40x20x7,5 cm.

as opposed to it-daeng, burned clay red bricks at approx 15x7x7cm

but Simon have you considered using aerated concrete bricks? saves on energy and reduces noise, faster build as extremely little cement inbetween, approx 22-28 baht each, slightly larger than it-bok

@kataytd, sorry, that is my best transliteration of the Thai word อิฐปีก which literally means brick-block, or often called 'breeze-block' in the UK. It's a building block that can be used to build walls.

Simon

and they are grey and usually measure 40x20x7,5 cm.

as opposed to it-daeng, burned clay red bricks at approx 15x7x7cm

but Simon have you considered using aerated concrete bricks? saves on energy and reduces noise, faster build as extremely little cement inbetween, approx 22-28 baht each, slightly larger than it-bok

I have always found that the big builders merchant on the bypass road called Sanchai have the best prices for blocks. KBB is talking about a product called Q-con introduced to Thailand about 12 years ago and now widely used in construction due to light weight (blocks actually float in water), very good heat and sound insulation. but much more expensive than the blocks, about 4x last time I checked.

I have always found that the big builders merchant on the bypass road called Sanchai have the best prices for blocks. KBB is talking about a product called Q-con introduced to Thailand about 12 years ago and now widely used in construction due to light weight (blocks actually float in water), very good heat and sound insulation. but much more expensive than the blocks, about 4x last time I checked.

Q-con is one brand name, Superblock, CPAC and C-lite actually better quality. Blocks cost more, but savings on cement/mixing, build time, lintels, so sqm completed wall isnt that much more.

Basicly the only bricks used in highrises now. In addition to above it is also much lighter, so in highrises the other advantages come for free, as stucture cost/load ability can be reduced.

One disadvantage, they suck water, so i dont use them for bathrooms, it-daeng for bathrooms and kitchen walls.

Q-con is one brand name, Superblock, CPAC and C-lite actually better quality. Blocks cost more, but savings on cement/mixing, build time, lintels, so sqm completed wall isnt that much more.

Basicly the only bricks used in highrises now. In addition to above it is also much lighter, so in highrises the other advantages come for free, as stucture cost/load ability can be reduced.

One disadvantage, they suck water, so i dont use them for bathrooms, it-daeng for bathrooms and kitchen walls.

The first company to introduce these blocks was Q-con. A neighbour in Patong was one of the first people to use it in Phuket some 12 years ago. Confounded the planning office as he did not use posts and beams, they said the house would fall down. He had lots of trouble getting planning permission back then. I've costed using these blocks, in my opinion works out more expensive, sure it's quicker to build walls, but the special glue mortar and rendering is also more expensive than regular cement. Another problem was that workers did not know how to work with those new materials (at that time) plus the planning authorities continued with the old traditional load bearing codes for main elements. I see that's all changing nowadays as these light weight blocks are becoming the norm in quality construction projects.

The first company to introduce these blocks was Q-con. A neighbour in Patong was one of the first people to use it in Phuket some 12 years ago. Confounded the planning office as he did not use posts and beams, they said the house would fall down. He had lots of trouble getting planning permission back then. I've costed using these blocks, in my opinion works out more expensive, sure it's quicker to build walls, but the special glue mortar and rendering is also more expensive than regular cement. Another problem was that workers did not know how to work with those new materials (at that time) plus the planning authorities continued with the old traditional load bearing codes for main elements. I see that's all changing nowadays as these light weight blocks are becoming the norm in quality construction projects.

and Q-con is still the largest brand name, as everything L&H builds has been Q-con for a decade. They are shareholders in Q-con TH

So I take it that the answer is no then? :)

I had my building 'foreman' checking prices last week, and 6 baht was the cheapest that he could find (delivered). So I'm going with that unless someone specifically knows a cheaper supplier.

Simon

I have a p[ile of these blocks in my yard at the moment. Must admit I didfn't know what they were called before. Builder hasn't been here for a couple of days (too wet), I'll ask how much they were when I see him.

My lady says they used to get them for 1 or 2 baht each in the old days in the boonies.

post-18822-0-77074600-1317011792_thumb.j