' No Smoking' Campaign For Hm King

george

PM leads 'No Smoking' campaign for HM King

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Tuesday led the Thai public to sign in a letter of intent to be submitted to His Majesty the King, expressing their determination to refrain from, reduce and quit smoking eventually.

The signing ceremony was held at the Government House here before the cabinet's weekly meeting.

The initiative is part of nationwide celebrations on the auspicious occasion of the 60th anniversary of His Majesty the King's ascension to the throne next year.

Members of the general public are invited to join the campaign by signing their names at erected boards provided by officials in Bangkok and other provinces throughout the country from November 13-15.

An annual national health promotion event will also be officially held at Sanam Luang ceremonial ground here on November 20, in which the general public are welcome to join a mass exercise and to sign their names on the boards to pay their tribute and homage to the beloved Thai monarch.

The government expects to gather up to eight million names to be enclosed in the letter of intent it will later submit to His Majesty the King.

--TNA 2005-11-08

I think that they would be better of, having a campaign to reduce pollution. Especially from Lorries and Buses. That black smoke is terrible, and worst than any cigarette that I have ever seen. I think that carbon minoxide and lead might be a triffle more lethal than a cigarette. Yet I suppose that cigarettes are easier to target, as it is easier to restrict personal freedoms.