Pro V1 Golf Balls

kenny999

I wanted to buy 1 box of these very expensive balls(3 balls, go in to Supersports, "I would like 1 box, 3 balls" no can do was the answer, I doubt they sell 1 box a week maybe none at all, I just want to try these balls and I am not going to pay 1995 bht for 12!! maybe some where else will accommodate me...

Edited by kenny999

That is cheap compared to what Gold Canyon wants for them. A sleeve of 3 is almost 900baht. I asked why so expensive, he said same same everywhere. I said NO!

That is almost 10.00 a ball, well over double the US price. If you want to just try them, go to a golf course and buy some used ones. Not perfect but good enough to try. Usually can be had for 25-50 baht depending on condition. Also if you have a regular caddy, she will probably be able to get some if you ask her for around 20 baht. (Mixed quality.)

That is cheap compared to what Gold Canyon wants for them. A sleeve of 3 is almost 900baht. I asked why so expensive, he said same same everywhere. I said NO!

That is almost 10.00 a ball, well over double the US price. If you want to just try them, go to a golf course and buy some used ones. Not perfect but good enough to try. Usually can be had for 25-50 baht depending on condition. Also if you have a regular caddy, she will probably be able to get some if you ask her for around 20 baht. (Mixed quality.)

I just want to try a softer ball but I will not pay these prices, their are other less expensive softer balls available I am sure, I will have a look!

As I said I doubt this golf store sells one box of the Pro V1 a month but I suppose their are people here who have the money not to bother with price!!

Edited by kenny999

H Kenny,

If the other guys is right about being double the price of the US I'd love to be buying them in the US. In oz they cost about $9.50 a ball and that was when our dollar was higher than the US$, bloody rip off.

As kenalder says, just go to the pro shop and search the second hand balls. You can usually find some pretty decent ones.

You could probably try a Srixon, I don't mind them but I have no idea if they are just as expensive as the Pro V's in Thailand.

Don't expect a ball to do miracles for your game though, you still have to hit it.

I just saw an interview with Robert Allenby and he said the biggest technological advances in golf are the balls and the drivers equally (a bit different to when he who shall not be named said it was the ball...period).

H Kenny,

If the other guys is right about being double the price of the US I'd love to be buying them in the US. In oz they cost about $9.50 a ball and that was when our dollar was higher than the US$, bloody rip off.

As kenalder says, just go to the pro shop and search the second hand balls. You can usually find some pretty decent ones.

You could probably try a Srixon, I don't mind them but I have no idea if they are just as expensive as the Pro V's in Thailand.

Don't expect a ball to do miracles for your game though, you still have to hit it.

I just saw an interview with Robert Allenby and he said the biggest technological advances in golf are the balls and the drivers equally (a bit different to when he who shall not be named said it was the ball...period).

Don't start him off again lol I fully understand the ball will only help if you hit the ball correctly, I feel I am now doing that and might benefit from a better ball, but at Titleist prices they can <deleted> off!!

I would not have minded paying 450 bht for 3 but will not pay 1995 bht for 12 it's crazy.. I will look for another brand! how did your game go at that fantastic looking course?

Golf isn't exactly a cheap pastime. :)

Yeah the course was in good condition but extremely difficult. All the greens are raised so everytime you miss a green you have to hit a bloody lob shot up about 20 feet to the green, or a difficult bunker shot. I had 7 over, but pretty happy with that at this stage and on that course, 2 double bogeys didn't help. I'm still in the process of swing changes so will take another couple of months before I start hitting it decent. Then the short game has to be worked on. All just in the process at the moment so not getting stressed.

I sort of think I should just play on the easier 'club' courses at the moment, would be easier on the nerves. But Sunday I'm out at this course.....

http://www.northlakesgolfclub.com.au/golf/

I doubt I'll play new pro v's too much yet, would end up costing me a fortune in lost balls. :)

Golf isn't exactly a cheap pastime. :)

Yeah the course was in good condition but extremely difficult. All the greens are raised so everytime you miss a green you have to hit a bloody lob shot up about 20 feet to the green, or a difficult bunker shot. I had 7 over, but pretty happy with that at this stage and on that course, 2 double bogeys didn't help. I'm still in the process of swing changes so will take another couple of months before I start hitting it decent. Then the short game has to be worked on. All just in the process at the moment so not getting stressed.

I sort of think I should just play on the easier 'club' courses at the moment, would be easier on the nerves. But Sunday I'm out at this course.....

http://www.northlake...ub.com.au/golf/

I doubt I'll play new pro v's too much yet, would end up costing me a fortune in lost balls. :)

Very true of Phuket, I am sure this is the most expensive place to play in the whole of Thailand, not complaining as I accept this is where I live, pay or don't play, I choose to play on the course that I consider to be the most reasonable price!!

You probably shouldn't pay too much attention to what your fellow countrymen mumbles about in the media - that's a friendly advice. Instead, you should pay attention to the research that is being made and the countless discussions involving golf ball manufacturer and engineers.

Last time around a confused soul, who's name we shall not utter, claimed that Greg Norman was right when he stated that he could hit a golf ball on the upper quadrant with a wedge (something that will require a gymnastic performance worthy of an octopus trying to execute a pole vault inside a refrigerator, and is probably as easy as inserting a lump of hot butter in the arse of a wild cat using a pair of knitting needles - or, for that matter, have him admit being wrong, I'd say they're about equal in likelihood of ever happening) the person was never able to explain how it'd be possible to hit the ball on the top quadrant, and my guess is that he has now realized how wrong he was, but rather than admitting he was wrong he will continue run away like a little girl in Hello Kitty panties, avoiding that topic for all future to come.

:cheesy:

Most players tend to believe that it is the club (the driver, in particular) who is responsible for the increased driving distances (I assume you're referring to distance) but tests have proven over and over again that you are not able to hit an old golf ball with a modern driver NEARLY as long as if you hit a modern golf ball with an old driver. Nick Faldo is one of the players who's made this research and came to this conclusion.

Manufacturers of golf clubs often exaggerate the advances in length when they market their new driver, most people realize this, if one was to believe that each new model will generate 20 yards in distance we'd all be hitting well over 500 yards. The most striking tragedy is that someone with your capability is not able to see through simple marketing tricks in favor of hard facts. The simple truth is that a driver hasn't changed that much over the past 10 years in the ability to launch a golf ball long or straight. The biggest change by far was the introduction of titanium.

The FACT is that since the hickory clubs of the 1920's, the average driving distance has changed as little as 26% using the same ball. Yes, that's right, only 26%. Another remarkable fact is that the introduction of stainless steel drivers didn't generate ANY increase in distance compared to persimmon clubs. For you comfort, I've attached the stats.

I suggest you try yourself. If you have a ten year old titanium driver, play it the next round and you'll be surprised how similar you'll hit it in distance compared to this years model. You've once claimed to have played golf for 50 years, so I'm sure you have an old persimmon club somewhere, or at least are able to borrow one; play it with a PRO V1 or similar and you'll be surprised how far you'll hit it. You mentioned shafts earlier, and there's been a tremendous development in shaft technology, but in reality it is only in combination with other factors we can see any huge differences. My clubs look pretty much exactly like a pair of Wilson Tour blades looked like 20 years ago. Forgiveness has increased in modern clubs, yes, but there were plenty of forgiving clubs 20 years ago. Ping Eye. Ping Zing. MacGregor DoctorX. Cleveland 792 VAS. Same concept as the modern clubs. The looks have changed. Not all players use the lighter shafts. I'm one of them, my shafts was considered lightweight a couple of years ago but at 72gr it's considered heavy today. Steel shafts are more or less the same as 20 years ago. Dynamic Gold shafts ARE the same.

What I'm trying to say is; don't be this naive and believe everything you see in marketing, Allenby gets paid for marketing Srixons equipment (he doesn't even play the Srixon driver...). Your type of naivety is exactly the reason they sell a new driver to every other stupid hacker each year, each of them with the belief that they will hit the ball 20 yards further. They won't. The driver doesn't change that much.

If you want to talk about distance (I presume this discussion is not only about distance) alone, the biggest difference by far is the technology available for optimization. Professional players can take advantage of this in order to optimize swing and equipment in order to generate ridiculous driving distances.

I don't expect you to answer this in a decent manner, but at least it might give someone else something to think about.

Driving Test Stats

Edited by Forethat

You probably shouldn't pay too much attention to what your fellow countrymen mumbles about in the media - that's a friendly advice. Instead, you should pay attention to the research that is being made and the countless discussions involving golf ball manufacturer and engineers.

Last time around a confused soul, who's name we shall not utter, claimed that Greg Norman was right when he stated that he could hit a golf ball on the upper quadrant with a wedge (something that will require a gymnastic performance worthy of an octopus trying to execute a pole vault inside a refrigerator, and is probably as easy as inserting a lump of hot butter in the arse of a wild cat using a pair of knitting needles - or, for that matter, have him admit being wrong, I'd say they're about equal in likelihood of ever happening) the person was never able to explain how it'd be possible to hit the ball on the top quadrant, and my guess is that he has now realized how wrong he was, but rather than admitting he was wrong he will continue run away like a little girl in Hello Kitty panties, avoiding that topic for all future to come.

:cheesy:

Most players tend to believe that it is the club (the driver, in particular) who is responsible for the increased driving distances (I assume you're referring to distance) but tests have proven over and over again that you are not able to hit an old golf ball with a modern driver NEARLY as long as if you hit a modern golf ball with an old driver. Nick Faldo is one of the players who's made this research and came to this conclusion.

Manufacturers of golf clubs often exaggerate the advances in length when they market their new driver, most people realize this, if one was to believe that each new model will generate 20 yards in distance we'd all be hitting well over 500 yards. The most striking tragedy is that someone with your capability is not able to see through simple marketing tricks in favor of hard facts. The simple truth is that a driver hasn't changed that much over the past 10 years in the ability to launch a golf ball long or straight. The biggest change by far was the introduction of titanium.

The FACT is that since the hickory clubs of the 1920's, the average driving distance has changed as little as 26% using the same ball. Yes, that's right, only 26%. Another remarkable fact is that the introduction of stainless steel drivers didn't generate ANY increase in distance compared to persimmon clubs. For you comfort, I've attached the stats.

I suggest you try yourself. If you have a ten year old titanium driver, play it the next round and you'll be surprised how similar you'll hit it in distance compared to this years model. You've once claimed to have played golf for 50 years, so I'm sure you have an old persimmon club somewhere, or at least are able to borrow one; play it with a PRO V1 or similar and you'll be surprised how far you'll hit it. You mentioned shafts earlier, and there's been a tremendous development in shaft technology, but in reality it is only in combination with other factors we can see any huge differences. My clubs look pretty much exactly like a pair of Wilson Tour blades looked like 20 years ago. Forgiveness has increased in modern clubs, yes, but there were plenty of forgiving clubs 20 years ago. Ping Eye. Ping Zing. MacGregor DoctorX. Cleveland 792 VAS. Same concept as the modern clubs. The looks have changed. Not all players use the lighter shafts. I'm one of them, my shafts was considered lightweight a couple of years ago but at 72gr it's considered heavy today. Steel shafts are more or less the same as 20 years ago. Dynamic Gold shafts ARE the same.

What I'm trying to say is; don't be this naive and believe everything you see in marketing, Allenby gets paid for marketing Srixons equipment (he doesn't even play the Srixon driver...). Your type of naivety is exactly the reason they sell a new driver to every other stupid hacker each year, each of them with the belief that they will hit the ball 20 yards further. They won't. The driver doesn't change that much.

If you want to talk about distance (I presume this discussion is not only about distance) alone, the biggest difference by far is the technology available for optimization. Professional players can take advantage of this in order to optimize swing and equipment in order to generate ridiculous driving distances.

I don't expect you to answer this in a decent manner, but at least it might give someone else something to think about.

Driving Test Stats

Bloody hell here we go again, my op was a simple post about the fact I wanted to buy 3 Pro V1 golf balls and not able too. jeez !!!

I fail to see how the replies from Wallaby would prompt you to yet again attack him!!

Also Wallaby replied to me with straight forward information which was interesting where as you write something that is of no interest to me at all!!

Edited by kenny999

Also Wallaby replied to me with straight forward information which was interesting where as you write something that is of no interest to me at all!!

Here's some straight forward information for you:

A majority of your posts appears to be related to the price of golf; green fees are to expensive, balls are too expensive etc. etc., alternatively it's about how well you played your last round.

The simple truth is that golf isn't free. If you can't afford playing the game, find another hobby or play with cheap balls on cheap golf courses. I wish there was a different way of putting it, but there's no secret sauce recipe. Sorry.

Here's some straight forward information for you:

A majority of your posts appears to be related to the price of golf; green fees are to expensive, balls are too expensive etc. etc., alternatively it's about how well you played your last round.

The simple truth is that golf isn't free. If you can't afford playing the game, find another hobby or play with cheap balls on cheap golf courses. I wish there was a different way of putting it, but there's no secret sauce recipe. Sorry.

This my thread and I did not ask you to provide all the information which is of no use to me, as this is a forum I can talk about anything I want if you do not like it go else where, comprenda!! yes I can afford expensive golf balls, yes I can afford expensive green fee's I just do not choose to pay them or the ridiculous Titleist ball price, the information you have wrongly provided(as in I did not ask for it, although educational would be better given to some one who does ask for it. sorry...

I am very happy playing my little 9 hole course and with balls costing a fraction of the pro V1 again my op was about the fact I could not buy 3 of them!!

Have you an answer to provide for my op post, if it is beneath you to provide a very simple answer then no problem!!

Keep thinking of some thing else, what is wrong with posting about how I played in my last round what is your problem with that?????

Edited by kenny999

This my thread and I did not ask you to provide all the information which is of no use to me.

I'd say the information is exactly the kind of information you'd want.

1. If you cant afford or don't want to pay the price for premium balls, don't play them. There's is no secret sauce recipe.

2. There are plenty of balls with similar properties as the expensive balls. This is a direct result of research and technical advances. Try them instead.

3. If you cant buy a sleeve then don't. Whats the issue? You expect the pro shop to sell singles only because you want to try...?

I'm sorry to say but I dont think you can dictate the answers about golf balls in a thread about golf balls.

This my thread and I did not ask you to provide all the information which is of no use to me.

I'd say the information is exactly the kind of information you'd want.

1. If you cant afford or don't want to pay the price for premium balls, don't play them. There's is no secret sauce recipe.

2. There are plenty of balls with similar properties as the expensive balls. This is a direct result of research and technical advances. Try them instead.

3. If you cant buy a sleeve then don't. Whats the issue? You expect the pro shop to sell singles only because you want to try...?

I'm sorry to say but I dont think you can dictate the answers about golf balls in a thread about golf balls.

This is my last response, if you read the op the only question asked was, maybe some one else will accommodate me!! no I will not pay 1995 bht for 12 balls but I would have paid 450 bht for 3 one time!!!

Advice on a cheaper ball with the same properties would have been sufficient!!

No I did not expect the shop to sell me one ball but I did expect them to sell me 3!!!

And no the vast amount of information you provided is of no use to me as I am not a pro and never will be, I am a golfer who feels he has improved enough to try the most expensive ball available one time only, I would probably lose all 3 in a round!!!

Also whats with the digs at Wallaby in your post, if you know you are right about every thing then just leave the petty jibes aside they are not needed!!

Edited by kenny999

This is my last response, if you read the op the only question asked was, maybe some one else will accommodate me!! no I will not pay 1995 bht for 12 balls but I would have paid 450 bht for 3 one time!!!

No I did not expect the shop to sell me one ball but I did expect them to sell me 3!!!

And no the vast amount of information you provided is of no use to me as I am not a pro and never will be, I am a golfer who feels he has improved enough to try the most expensive ball available one time only, I would probably lose all 3 in a round!!!

Also whats with the digs at Wallaby in your post, if you know you are right about every thing then just leave the petty jibes aside they are not needed!!

So you're literary asking where you can buy a car that performs like a Ferrari at the price of a Toyota? I'm sorry, but it ain't gonna happen. There is no such thing. The reason the ball is pricey is because it performs. There's a lot of research behind this and Titleist wants that money back (well, in the case of Titleist there's more to the story than meets the eye, but that's another matter..).

What makes you think he's obliged to sell a sleeve of 3? If he wants to sell by the dozen you have to buy a dozen or play without any PRO V1s.

So you're literary asking where you can buy a car that performs like a Ferrari at the price of a Toyota? I'm sorry, but it ain't gonna happen. There is no such thing. The reason the ball is pricey is because it performs. There's a lot of research behind this and Titleist wants that money back (well, in the case of Titleist there's more to the story than meets the eye, but that's another matter..).

What makes you think he's obliged to sell a sleeve of 3? If he wants to sell by the dozen you have to buy a dozen or play without any PRO V1s.

Because in the UK I could by a sleeve containing 3 balls!! when I was in the UK I used to buy my balls in sleeves of 3!! here I always buy 12 but they are 330 bht as opposed to 1995 bht, I doubt I would ever have used the PRO V1 again after trying them so what would be the point be in me buying 12. this is no problem I can find a softer ball for a fraction of the price, I wanted to try it because it is so widely talked about.. my mate is coming from the UK in Dec I will ask him to get me a sleeve of 3 balls but maybe because they are so expensive it won't be possible again not a problem!!

Okay I have 3 questions...

If I hit my driver 270yds will I hit the pro V1 further?

Will it spin more providing I strike the ball correctly?

I hit every thing very high, will the pro V1 have a lower ball flight?

Edited by kenny999

this is no problem I can find a softer ball for a fraction of the price

Sure, you can find a soft ball, but is that enough? One example would be Precept "Laddie". Low compression, a really good ball for those who wants driving distance (yes, softer balls goes further for most low-swing speed golfers), but the problem is it doesn't spin and I got the impression you wanted to try a ball for it's shortgame- and spinning abilities. There are other crap balls out there claiming to be "soft and spinny" and "long" at the same time. Typically these are cheaper balls with Surlyn cover, like Maxfli Noodle. These balls are the worst sack of <deleted>, if you ask me.

So I doubt you'll be able to find a ball with properties similar to a PRO V1

this is no problem I can find a softer ball for a fraction of the price

Sure, you can find a soft ball, but is that enough? One example would be Precept "Laddie". Low compression, a really good ball for those who wants driving distance (yes, softer balls goes further for most low-swing speed golfers), but the problem is it doesn't spin and I got the impression you wanted to try a ball for it's shortgame- and spinning abilities. There are other crap balls out there claiming to be "soft and spinny" and "long" at the same time. Typically these are cheaper balls with Surlyn cover, like Maxfli Noodle. These balls are the worst sack of <deleted>, if you ask me.

So I doubt you'll be able to find a ball with properties similar to a PRO V1

I added this after!!

I hear you Kenny, So much information when no one has asked or really gives a fig. As it is your thread I won't bore you by responding in kind. No point with people like that.

Feel free Wallaby to provide the information I have requested!!

1. Not necessarily.

2. Spin more than what? If you mean spin more than a hard ball or ball with Surlyn cover, the answer is yes.

3. I have already explained the physics behind this in a previous thread. Typically, a ball with more friction tends to get a lower ball flight. In particular, pitch shots and short game will show a tremendous difference in height. A 30yds pitch will get about half the trajectory compared to a Topflite.

In addition, very high is relative. A lot of hackers believe they hit the ball high when in reality they don't. This is also about how the ball is struck. Better players can hit the ball high OR low while hackers tend to hit mid- and long irons low and short and wedges and short irons high and short, but that's because they don't apply any pressure to the ball and doesn't have anything to do with the ball..

1. Not necessarily.

2. Spin more than what? If you mean spin more than a hard ball or ball with Surlyn cover, the answer is yes.

3. I have already explained the physics behind this in a previous thread. Typically, a ball with more friction tends to get a lower ball flight. In particular, pitch shots and short game will show a tremendous difference in height. A 30yds pitch will get about half the trajectory compared to a Topflite.

In addition, very high is relative. A lot of hackers believe they hit the ball high when in reality they don't. This is also about how the ball is struck. Better players can hit the ball high OR low while hackers tend to hit mid- and long irons low and short and wedges and short irons high and short, but that's because they don't apply any pressure to the ball and doesn't have anything to do with the ball..

I hit every club very high and very long, I could hit the ball low but I prefer the high ball it just looks better!!

I might bite the bullet and buy the pro V1 when I want some thing even though it is expensive I will usually get it even though I say no!! I am Ting Tong in that way!!

, And life is short and you are a long time dead!!

Edited by kenny999

Here's what I suggest:

Since I get these balls for free I'd be happy to send you a sleeve. PM me your address and I'll send you tomorrow.

I take back every thing I said about you lol pm sent if I like the balls after using and no doubt losing them I will invest in a box!!

I might bite the bullet and buy the pro V1 when I want some thing even though it is expensive I will usually get it even though I say no!! I am Ting Tong in that way!!

I am long time dead?

No it's a saying, life is short and me you or any one will be a long time dead as in life is short so experience every thing you can!!

Do you have a barrell of used balls at your course, or something similar? Or you could go to one of the resort courses that have a heap of water, They will most likely have some used pro v's you can buy cheaper and some will still be pretty good. Make sure you buy the ones that haven't gone off colour.

Follow me off the first tee as that's when I usually hit one in the drink and the ball is good as new, once fished out. Probably find my driver in there as well. :D

Not really sure about your high flight. I'd probably be more interested in the trajectory than the hight, so to speak. Trial and error, just try a few different balls and stick with the one you like.

Do you have a barrell of used balls at your course, or something similar? Or you could go to one of the resort courses that have a heap of water, They will most likely have some used pro v's you can buy cheaper and some will still be pretty good. Make sure you buy the ones that haven't gone off colour.

Follow me off the first tee as that's when I usually hit one in the drink and the ball is good as new, once fished out. Probably find my driver in there as well. :D

Not really sure about your high flight. I'd probably be more interested in the trajectory than the hight, so to speak. Trial and error, just try a few different balls and stick with the one you like.

I have never used used balls!! if Forethat is kind enough to send me 3 pro V1's I will give them a try and knowing me as I do I will probably play them there after, I always like to get the best I can, playing them there after will of course depend on how long it takes me to lose 12. lol at the end of the day I am not good enough to think about a ball that is so expensive but it is nice to play with the best you can!!

Edited by kenny999

I am long time dead?

No it's a saying, life is short and me you or any one will be a long time dead as in life is short so experience every thing you can!!

Thought you were talking about my swing...in which case the statement is pretty spot on.