Pro V1 Golf Balls

kenny999

That is cheap compared to what Gold Canyon wants for them. A sleeve of 3 is almost 900baht. I asked why so expensive, he said same same everywhere. I said NO!

That is almost 10.00 a ball, well over double the US price. If you want to just try them, go to a golf course and buy some used ones. Not perfect but good enough to try. Usually can be had for 25-50 baht depending on condition. Also if you have a regular caddy, she will probably be able to get some if you ask her for around 20 baht. (Mixed quality.)

I just want to try a softer ball but I will not pay these prices, their are other less expensive softer balls available I am sure, I will have a look!

As I said I doubt this golf store sells one box of the Pro V1 a month but I suppose their are people here who have the money not to bother with price!!

Hi ..I 2HCP play the pro V1X yes they are expensive but the response around the green is superb ... If you want to try a softer ball without the price which feels pretty similar to the pro v off the club try the bridgestone B330s last years model can be bought on line from golf sites and delivered pretty much anywhere in the world for about 35$ au a dozen 1200THB

Kenny:

Wallaby has a good suggestion about the used balls. Look around a little, somebody will be selling them.

Just a little food for thought, after a ball has been hit one time it is used.

You're a hacker...remember?

Gregtheresakelly also has a good recommendation.

Kenny:

Wallaby has a good suggestion about the used balls. Look around a little, somebody will be selling them.

Just a little food for thought, after a ball has been hit one time it is used.

You're a hacker...remember?

Gregtheresakelly also has a good recommendation.

Cheers mate and yes I will be asking at the course where I play, as for the term hacker it's not some thing I like to use as I really do think it is an insult, any way it is just a word and not something that I am bothered about.. thanks for the good advice from every one it is much appreciated..

That is cheap compared to what Gold Canyon wants for them. A sleeve of 3 is almost 900baht. I asked why so expensive, he said same same everywhere. I said NO!

That is almost 10.00 a ball, well over double the US price. If you want to just try them, go to a golf course and buy some used ones. Not perfect but good enough to try. Usually can be had for 25-50 baht depending on condition. Also if you have a regular caddy, she will probably be able to get some if you ask her for around 20 baht. (Mixed quality.)

I just want to try a softer ball but I will not pay these prices, their are other less expensive softer balls available I am sure, I will have a look!

As I said I doubt this golf store sells one box of the Pro V1 a month but I suppose their are people here who have the money not to bother with price!!

ive got some from u s but shipping + taxes etc brimg them to the about same price depending on the exchange rate at the time

I have hunted through Thanya plaza and seen Pro V1 at 1700 baht for a box of 12, also have you tried the Penta golf ball, not quite as expensive, however if it dont float or whistle to me when its lost in the rough, I'll keep on buying the second hand balls

I'll stick to my 330 bht Top flights and Dunlop DDH which I think are okay for 12 balls, I will never pay 2000 bht for 12 balls unless I become a professional so I will never pay 2000 bht lol

I have hunted through Thanya plaza and seen Pro V1 at 1700 baht for a box of 12, also have you tried the Penta golf ball, not quite as expensive, however if it dont float or whistle to me when its lost in the rough, I'll keep on buying the second hand balls

I'll stick to my 330 bht Top flights and Dunlop DDH which I think are okay for 12 balls, I will never pay 2000 bht for 12 balls unless I become a professional so I will never pay 2000 bht lol

I still think that unless you're looking for a way to reduce spin (usually due to severe slice-problems) the two balls you are using are two of the worst golf balls on the market from a performance perspective. The DDH with its surlyn cover is more or less a marble that offer none or very little feel. When it comes to holding the ball on the green this ball is a sack of <deleted>. You'd be better off trying a softer ball. I'd go second hand.

I still think that unless you're looking for a way to reduce spin (usually due to severe slice-problems) the two balls you are using are two of the worst golf balls on the market from a performance perspective. The DDH with its surlyn cover is more or less a marble that offer none or very little feel. When it comes to holding the ball on the green this ball is a sack of <deleted>. You'd be better off trying a softer ball. I'd go second hand.

Going to have a look at a load of balls today lol

Going to have a look at a load of balls today lol

Looked at golf balls today, splashed out on Titleist NXT Tour, good price and seems to be very similar to the pro V1 but cheaper, we will give them a go maybe tomorrow, hope I don't lose them or you will hear a grown man cry lol

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw an interview with Robert Allenby and he said the biggest technological advances in golf are the balls and the drivers equally (a bit different to when he who shall not be named said it was the ball...period).

You probably shouldn't pay too much attention to what your fellow countrymen mumbles about in the media - that's a friendly advice. Instead, you should pay attention to the research that is being made and the countless discussions involving golf ball manufacturer and engineers.

Last time around a confused soul, who's name we shall not utter, claimed that Greg Norman was right when he stated that he could hit a golf ball on the upper quadrant with a wedge (something that will require a gymnastic performance worthy of an octopus trying to execute a pole vault inside a refrigerator, and is probably as easy as inserting a lump of hot butter in the arse of a wild cat using a pair of knitting needles - or, for that matter, have him admit being wrong, I'd say they're about equal in likelihood of ever happening) the person was never able to explain how it'd be possible to hit the ball on the top quadrant, and my guess is that he has now realized how wrong he was, but rather than admitting he was wrong he will continue run away like a little girl in Hello Kitty panties, avoiding that topic for all future to come.

:cheesy:

Most players tend to believe that it is the club (the driver, in particular) who is responsible for the increased driving distances (I assume you're referring to distance) but tests have proven over and over again that you are not able to hit an old golf ball with a modern driver NEARLY as long as if you hit a modern golf ball with an old driver. Nick Faldo is one of the players who's made this research and came to this conclusion.

Manufacturers of golf clubs often exaggerate the advances in length when they market their new driver, most people realize this, if one was to believe that each new model will generate 20 yards in distance we'd all be hitting well over 500 yards. The most striking tragedy is that someone with your capability is not able to see through simple marketing tricks in favor of hard facts. The simple truth is that a driver hasn't changed that much over the past 10 years in the ability to launch a golf ball long or straight. The biggest change by far was the introduction of titanium.

The FACT is that since the hickory clubs of the 1920's, the average driving distance has changed as little as 26% using the same ball. Yes, that's right, only 26%. Another remarkable fact is that the introduction of stainless steel drivers didn't generate ANY increase in distance compared to persimmon clubs. For you comfort, I've attached the stats.

I suggest you try yourself. If you have a ten year old titanium driver, play it the next round and you'll be surprised how similar you'll hit it in distance compared to this years model. You've once claimed to have played golf for 50 years, so I'm sure you have an old persimmon club somewhere, or at least are able to borrow one; play it with a PRO V1 or similar and you'll be surprised how far you'll hit it. You mentioned shafts earlier, and there's been a tremendous development in shaft technology, but in reality it is only in combination with other factors we can see any huge differences. My clubs look pretty much exactly like a pair of Wilson Tour blades looked like 20 years ago. Forgiveness has increased in modern clubs, yes, but there were plenty of forgiving clubs 20 years ago. Ping Eye. Ping Zing. MacGregor DoctorX. Cleveland 792 VAS. Same concept as the modern clubs. The looks have changed. Not all players use the lighter shafts. I'm one of them, my shafts was considered lightweight a couple of years ago but at 72gr it's considered heavy today. Steel shafts are more or less the same as 20 years ago. Dynamic Gold shafts ARE the same.

What I'm trying to say is; don't be this naive and believe everything you see in marketing, Allenby gets paid for marketing Srixons equipment (he doesn't even play the Srixon driver...). Your type of naivety is exactly the reason they sell a new driver to every other stupid hacker each year, each of them with the belief that they will hit the ball 20 yards further. They won't. The driver doesn't change that much.

If you want to talk about distance (I presume this discussion is not only about distance) alone, the biggest difference by far is the technology available for optimization. Professional players can take advantage of this in order to optimize swing and equipment in order to generate ridiculous driving distances.

I don't expect you to answer this in a decent manner, but at least it might give someone else something to think about.

Driving Test Stats

I just saw an interview with Robert Allenby and he said the biggest technological advances in golf are the balls and the drivers equally (a bit different to when he who shall not be named said it was the ball...period).

You probably shouldn't pay too much attention to what your fellow countrymen mumbles about in the media - that's a friendly advice. Instead, you should pay attention to the research that is being made and the countless discussions involving golf ball manufacturer and engineers.

Last time around a confused soul, who's name we shall not utter, claimed that Greg Norman was right when he stated that he could hit a golf ball on the upper quadrant with a wedge (something that will require a gymnastic performance worthy of an octopus trying to execute a pole vault inside a refrigerator, and is probably as easy as inserting a lump of hot butter in the arse of a wild cat using a pair of knitting needles - or, for that matter, have him admit being wrong, I'd say they're about equal in likelihood of ever happening) the person was never able to explain how it'd be possible to hit the ball on the top quadrant, and my guess is that he has now realized how wrong he was, but rather than admitting he was wrong he will continue run away like a little girl in Hello Kitty panties, avoiding that topic for all future to come.

:cheesy:

Most players tend to believe that it is the club (the driver, in particular) who is responsible for the increased driving distances (I assume you're referring to distance) but tests have proven over and over again that you are not able to hit an old golf ball with a modern driver NEARLY as long as if you hit a modern golf ball with an old driver. Nick Faldo is one of the players who's made this research and came to this conclusion.

Manufacturers of golf clubs often exaggerate the advances in length when they market their new driver, most people realize this, if one was to believe that each new model will generate 20 yards in distance we'd all be hitting well over 500 yards. The most striking tragedy is that someone with your capability is not able to see through simple marketing tricks in favor of hard facts. The simple truth is that a driver hasn't changed that much over the past 10 years in the ability to launch a golf ball long or straight. The biggest change by far was the introduction of titanium.

The FACT is that since the hickory clubs of the 1920's, the average driving distance has changed as little as 26% using the same ball. Yes, that's right, only 26%. Another remarkable fact is that the introduction of stainless steel drivers didn't generate ANY increase in distance compared to persimmon clubs. For you comfort, I've attached the stats.

I suggest you try yourself. If you have a ten year old titanium driver, play it the next round and you'll be surprised how similar you'll hit it in distance compared to this years model. You've once claimed to have played golf for 50 years, so I'm sure you have an old persimmon club somewhere, or at least are able to borrow one; play it with a PRO V1 or similar and you'll be surprised how far you'll hit it. You mentioned shafts earlier, and there's been a tremendous development in shaft technology, but in reality it is only in combination with other factors we can see any huge differences. My clubs look pretty much exactly like a pair of Wilson Tour blades looked like 20 years ago. Forgiveness has increased in modern clubs, yes, but there were plenty of forgiving clubs 20 years ago. Ping Eye. Ping Zing. MacGregor DoctorX. Cleveland 792 VAS. Same concept as the modern clubs. The looks have changed. Not all players use the lighter shafts. I'm one of them, my shafts was considered lightweight a couple of years ago but at 72gr it's considered heavy today. Steel shafts are more or less the same as 20 years ago. Dynamic Gold shafts ARE the same.

What I'm trying to say is; don't be this naive and believe everything you see in marketing, Allenby gets paid for marketing Srixons equipment (he doesn't even play the Srixon driver...). Your type of naivety is exactly the reason they sell a new driver to every other stupid hacker each year, each of them with the belief that they will hit the ball 20 yards further. They won't. The driver doesn't change that much.

If you want to talk about distance (I presume this discussion is not only about distance) alone, the biggest difference by far is the technology available for optimization. Professional players can take advantage of this in order to optimize swing and equipment in order to generate ridiculous driving distances.

I don't expect you to answer this in a decent manner, but at least it might give someone else something to think about.

Driving Test Stats

• 1 year later...

H Kenny,

If the other guys is right about being double the price of the US I'd love to be buying them in the US. In oz they cost about $9.50 a ball and that was when our dollar was higher than the US$, bloody rip off.

As kenalder says, just go to the pro shop and search the second hand balls. You can usually find some pretty decent ones.

You could probably try a Srixon, I don't mind them but I have no idea if they are just as expensive as the Pro V's in Thailand.

Don't expect a ball to do miracles for your game though, you still have to hit it.

Being a professional golfer is tough when you have to convince someone who doesn't WANT to understand. I found this clip on youtube, you should check it out. Fast forward to 4.00 and then you might want to revise this snappy statement of yours...!

wai.gif

Edited by Forethat

H Kenny,

If the other guys is right about being double the price of the US I'd love to be buying them in the US. In oz they cost about $9.50 a ball and that was when our dollar was higher than the US$, bloody rip off.

As kenalder says, just go to the pro shop and search the second hand balls. You can usually find some pretty decent ones.

You could probably try a Srixon, I don't mind them but I have no idea if they are just as expensive as the Pro V's in Thailand.

Don't expect a ball to do miracles for your game though, you still have to hit it.

Being a professional golfer is tough when you have to convince someone who doesn't WANT to understand. I found this clip on youtube, you should check it out. Fast forward to 4.00 and then you might want to revise this snappy statement of yours...!

wai.gif

Wallaby has been banned for around a year. That snappy comeback of yours will fall on deaf ears.

Edited by chuckd

H Kenny,

wai.gif

Wallaby has been banned for around a year. That snappy comeback of yours will fall on deaf ears.

Oh... I'm sorry to hear that.