Boss Rebuild

anono222

Hi All,

Recently bought an old Boss and want to go through the engine. Have been talking to the folks at the Kawasaki shop next to Siam TV in Chiang Mai, but they are dragging their feet. The bike has been there a couple of weeks untouched and they still haven't given me a start or finish date. Want to do complete engine rebuild including clutch. Know there are a lot of Boss riders around...what are your suggestions. Thanks! post-121668-0-49225000-1317024707_thumb.

They probably have to order the parts from BKK, then you have to get on que. That dealership is the only place id recommend to get it done for a complete rebuild.

Whats the reason you want to rebuild the entire engine? Have you checked the lower clutch adjustment nut by the engine? 8 times out of 10 thats all that needs to be done. I dont see anyone riding a Boss that hard to warrant a new clutch unless its an extremely old bike that's been ridden hard in the mountains.

My "Boss" is pretty ancient but with the little bit of work its had it's giving 30K to the litre. They're pretty tough, shouldn't need a rebuild, perhaps as suggested, a little tune up and clutch adjust??:jap:

Thanks for the responses...the Boss currently has a noticeable piston slap and I have no idea about the mileage. The original speedo has been replaced and it currently says 9000 kilo. I plan on riding the Boss to and from work every day which is a ride of about 30 minutes at 90k plus on the Super Highway, as well as use it for trips around Thailand. I need the bike to be rock solid, which I don't feel is the case in its current condition. I bought it really cheap so I have some room to make improvements without getting too deep into my pockets. So, the complete build makes sense to meet my needs. I will stay with Kawasaki for a couple more weeks and see what happens. I would like to improve the exhaust with something custom though. I went to PK and they gave me a price but now are dragging their feet as well. Any suggestions on a good custom exhaust shop? See ya!

My "Boss" is pretty ancient but with the little bit of work its had it's giving 30K to the litre. They're pretty tough, shouldn't need a rebuild, perhaps as suggested, a little tune up and clutch adjust??:jap:

I wouldn't mess with the exhaust without any prior modifications to increase power. Up in CNX jets are hard to find unless its something that also fits the Keihin PE28 carb...believe me ive been searching.

The original carb has already been replaced by a larger Honda carb. Kawasaki keeps asking me if I want to change back to the stock carb, NOT. The bike starts and runs great and could use the exhaust as is....more in more out. Also, the stock exhaust has an unsightly dent and is deeply tarnished and discolored. Anyway, have seen several dual exhaust systems around on both the Phantom and the Boss. Sounded pretty good and looked great. Just need to find a vendor who can get it done. Will talk to more bike shops, maybe I will get lucky. Safe Riding!

I wouldn't mess with the exhaust without any prior modifications to increase power. Up in CNX jets are hard to find unless its something that also fits the Keihin PE28 carb...believe me ive been searching.

The biggest Honda carb is the one from the Honda Phantom,which is a constant velocity carb, i think its 33mm. If the carb has the cable coming out of the top, instead of the side its probably a 28mm NSR carb. If the idle screw is yellow than it is for sure. If its a flat slide carb, then you have struck gold.

Careful with the exhaust, bigger doesn't always mean better ;), nor does two pipes vs one...

The cable comes from the top, but I am unsure about the idle screw color. Will give a look when I get home tonight. Thanks for your help!

The biggest Honda carb is the one from the Honda Phantom,which is a constant velocity carb, i think its 33mm. If the carb has the cable coming out of the top, instead of the side its probably a 28mm NSR carb. If the idle screw is yellow than it is for sure. If its a flat slide carb, then you have struck gold.

Careful with the exhaust, bigger doesn't always mean better ;), nor does two pipes vs one...