Farang With A Hyphen, "F-Rang" -- I Hereby Take Credit

Jingthing

Many people, including me, have some issues with the use of the word farang. Without intending at all to restart the endless discussion of the issues with it, the reality is it is a widely used word in Thailand, among both Thais and non-Thais.

In recognition of the inevitability of the word's wide usage but also acknowledging there are some distasteful aspects to it, I have coined a new way to express this ambiguity:

"f-rang"

Farang with a hypen. I think you will find with google, I can legitimately take credit.

While f-rang can't really be spoken as it is a written form, I propose people adopt this new usage in writing to express acceptance that the word is popular, without fully endorsing it.

Some might say "the F word" would be better, but I think that is kind of taken already ...

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

I speak Thai. Most of my friends are Thai. I don't go to Farang bars and I eat Thai food. I do not consider myself a Farang and I do not like to be called one especially by another Farang. I prefer the word expat.

If you fancy a change you could eat at the Banyan Tree....none of the staff have ever called me a farang there....(or a f-rang)

I wonder why? rolleyes.gif

gamini, you're not impressing anyone. You might be surprised to find that many of us here speak, read and write Thai and have Thai friends. You're still a farang. Get over it, it's not a big deal. I might start calling farangs 'gaminis' for a while.

gamini, you're not impressing anyone. You might be surprised to find that many of us here speak, read and write Thai and have Thai friends. You're still a farang. Get over it, it's not a big deal.

A farang - with no hyphen. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ulysses G.

I speak Thai. Most of my friends are Thai. I don't go to Farang bars and I eat Thai food. I do not consider myself a Farang and I do not like to be called one especially by another Farang. I prefer the word expat.

....so what's an ex-pat?:jap:

....so what's an ex-pat?:jap:

sex-pat that's dropped the 's'