For Anyone Wishing To Overnight In Mae Sai

Gladiator

On Sunday morning my brother and I, and Thai wives, drove from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai for shopping at the respective markets. Both wives wished to cross the border to Myanmar, and we briefly stopped at the Amphur, on the left hand side of the lead up road to the bridge, in order for them to get the necessary document. We wished to stay overnight and the next concern was accommodation. We quickly looked at a hotel actually by the river and discounted it as unsuitable. The next stop was the Wang Thong Hotel which is located just by the Immigration Crossing Bridge and opposite Mae Sai market. Great!

We obtained a 'rack' rate of 1700 Baht (total) for two twin room including breakfast. The staff were very efficient and the rooms clean and of good quality with fridge, Air Con, and satellite T.V. plus balcony and WIFI facility. Also the hotel has a swimming pool.

The bridge crossing is within metres, as is the market on the Thai side of the border. That evening we ate at the Riverside Restaurant actually overlooking the Mae Sai river, a short distance from the Hotel/

I have no affiliation with this hotel but post this as information for anyone who may also wish to shop at the markets or have the need to overnight close to the Border Crossing

Wang Thong Hotel

TEL 053 73369-95

www.wangthong-maesai.com

No. 299 Moo 7

Phaholyothin Road

Mae Sai 57130

At this hotel, the farang rooms are usually 207, 307, 407, 507, etc.

Why? Because according to their Thai guests, farangs stink :)

Well LJW - I don't know about that.

We were allocated Rooms 612 and 614 with a fine view over Mae Sai and of Myanmar and the mountain. At night the large Wat on the Thai side is lit up - an incredible sight. On the Myanmar side is something curious. What seems to be several large towers with lights running up and down and similarly on ground level runnng lights from side to side. If anyone has any information as to what this might be - I'd be interested to hear.

At this hotel, the farang rooms are usually 207, 307, 407, 507, etc.

Why? Because according to their Thai guests, farangs stink :)

Well LJW - I don't know about that.

I guess, then, I , too, had a "Thai?" room with that view; great for photo taking from the balcony, day and nite.

But then maybe I got that room because I took a bath the morning of the day I arrived?