Leathers-New Custom Made-Where?

BSJ

Hi folks, after checking the directory, in the stickies, I still don't have many choices for getting a set of leathers made. For my sons birthday (December) I thought it would make a nice gift.

Anyone had leathers made....and can recommend the shop that did it?

PS: I normally live in Pattaya but would be happy to travel to the right shop.

Edited by BSJ

Any tailor shop should be able to do it with concise instructions regarding stitching, show them a picture. Technically leather is no different than any other fabric. But i would bring them the leather fabric, lots of fake stuff out there.

Not sure what kind of leathers your're talking about ??

but if you are looking at full track leathers... i have a new BKS leathers for sale in classifieds for 25k.... also have a set of old Tecknic leathers for 3 k and a set of Ralph Waldman genuine GP Marlboro leathers (in my avatar) for 4 k ..

Sizes, working back are 36, 38, 40,.... (sizes seem to shrink every year year :D) -- but would range from approx 60 to 70kg... medium build...

if interested, pm, although out of LOS tomorrow so reply might delayed

If you're just talking about casual Harley style gear, I'm sure there are great deals to be had with a Thai making them.

For track racing, I would buy brand name leathers.

Besides the quality of leather, seam strength is a big concern in a one piece suit.

Cheap leather just scrapes through and weak stitches just blow apart upon impact.

Read up on what goes into a Dainese or Alpinestars suit and you'll understand why they cost a lot.

Hi KRS1, I am not sure about that. My feeling is it would be better going to someone who is working with leather all the time. I looked up what thread is available and there are some sites offering everything under the sun....including kevlar thread.

Hi Dec, he's a body builder. Doubt your sizes would be any good. Plus it's a present, so the S/H ones are out.

Hi ttakata, at the moment he is using a Joe Rocket 2 piece suit on the track (ride days) and the road. I thought I would get a one piece for ride days. If he takes up racing, that's a whole other matter!

Speaking from experience I would stay away from local made leathers, they don't hold up real well and are not that much cheaper then a suit from paddock or dianese. I had a couple crashes with my local made suit and it just busted apart at the seams. The local made leather was also about twise the weight of my new dianese leathers.

If you're just talking about casual Harley style gear, I'm sure there are great deals to be had with a Thai making them.

For track racing, I would buy brand name leathers.

Besides the quality of leather, seam strength is a big concern in a one piece suit.

Cheap leather just scrapes through and weak stitches just blow apart upon impact.

Read up on what goes into a Dainese or Alpinestars suit and you'll understand why they cost a lot.

+++1 Ted!

using the old 'good tires are cheaper than an ambulance ride' adage, good leathers are expensive, but theyre cheaper than a few months of painful healing of a full body abrasion wound, impact contusions and broken bones... dont forget the Body Armor you'll not get in an improvised Thai-made set.

If youve never skittered across asphalt in a good set of leathers, then gotten up merely embarrassed, you really have no idea of their value. Got my scars. Now I sacrifice the cow instead.

Cut your kid a check and let him buy some proper quality leathers that fit. :)

"Cut your kid a check" I already do that for xmas, doing it twice in the one month sends the wrong message....doesn't it??? :huh:

well, what kind of message are you trying to send?

do you want to send him some cheap, poorly made, ill fitting Thai leathers?

somehow I don't imagine that's the message you're aiming for :)

if "cutting a check" rubs you wrong how about a gift certificate to a shop with proper leathers he can try on before he buys?

nothing worse than leathers that explode on impact or don't fit right...

Edited by BigBikeBKK