Buying A New Motorcycle In Bangkok - Questions

AlaskaDave

I went to a Bangkok Honda dealer yesterday to inquire about buying a new Honda CBR250. The salesman told me I could not buy a motorcycle unless I had a passport and a "work permit". The passport I have, the cash I have, the permit I don't.

Does anyone know what he's talking about? I had some Thai friends call around to try to figure this out and one dealer we spoke to in Udon told us some sort of special document is needed and that it can be got from Thai Immigration. Not a work permit I gather but what then? I plan to call later to learn more but thought I'd start in this forum.

Any info you more experienced folks can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Yes as previous poster says. Proof of residence.

You need to take passport and house book, plus some photos to immigration. Maybe photocopies of visa page, and entry stamp to be sure.

They will issue you with the relevant paper, for a fee. Not sure, but I think that it is only valid for a short period, so use it quickly, or you will have to apply again.

You need to take passport and house book, plus some photos to immigration. Maybe photocopies of visa page, and entry stamp to be sure.

They will issue you with the relevant paper, for a fee. Not sure, but I think that it is only valid for a short period, so use it quickly, or you will have to apply again.

Thanks for the reply.

I have several friends who bought new bikes with only the Tourist Visa but they paid someone to provide the proof of residency. The Green Books are in their own names. My GF is Thai and has an ID and could presumably get the Residency papers easily. If she provides the residency requirements and the dealer sells the bike to her, can I then get the Green Book in my own name?

Thanks for the reply.

I have several friends who bought new bikes with only the Tourist Visa but they paid someone to provide the proof of residency. The Green Books are in their own names. My GF is Thai and has an ID and could presumably get the Residency papers easily. If she provides the residency requirements and the dealer sells the bike to her, can I then get the Green Book in my own name?

If they sell it to her the book will be in her name, to exchange names you will still need a cert of residence.

Are you staying at your GF house?

Even so she can register you as living there with Imm and get the cert. its a simple process and costs little

Can also get a Cert. of Residence from your embassy. Cost differs from a few hundred baht to a few thousand depending on your embassy.

This and Non-imm O visa should be enough. But never say never when it comes to Thai government officers and documents required. :rolleyes:

Edited by hehehoho

Just a thought, would a Thai driving license work, instead of the certificate of residency, when buying a car or bike?

How would a person get a Thai drivers license without either a work permit or residency cert? Simple you need at least residency cert from your embassy

To the Op, easiest way download the form from your embassy and get your girl to say you live at her address etc etc anyway it's simple and takes 5 minutes to do ( costs 50AUD in Aussie embassy buy I hear its about 100USD in Us embassy ) although that I am not sure of

Just a thought, would a Thai driving license work, instead of the certificate of residency, when buying a car or bike?

No, the Land Transport department will still ask to see either WP or Residence Certificate from immigration.

Thanks always wondered about that, because you have to have a Residence Certificate to get the license.

How would a person get a Thai drivers license without either a work permit or residency cert? Simple you need at least residency cert from your embassy

To the Op, easiest way download the form from your embassy and get your girl to say you live at her address etc etc anyway it's simple and takes 5 minutes to do ( costs 50AUD in Aussie embassy buy I hear its about 100USD in Us embassy ) although that I am not sure of

I talked to someone at the U.S. Embassy earlier and she told me I could get some sort of document there for $50 USD that would work. When I pressed her about the name of the form she couldn't answer (she was not a native English speaker). She said she would have her supervisor call me back later.

So far, everything seems to be as the responders here have said. I might make the trip to the Embassy soon. I will post my results here.

Thanks to all.....

I talked to someone at the U.S. Embassy earlier and she told me I could get some sort of document there for $50 USD that would work. When I pressed her about the name of the form she couldn't answer (she was not a native English speaker). She said she would have her supervisor call me back later.

So far, everything seems to be as the responders here have said. I might make the trip to the Embassy soon. I will post my results here.

Thanks to all.....

You would get the same thing for a few hundred Baht at Imm.

My GF is Thai and has an ID and could presumably get the Residency papers easily. If she provides the residency requirements and the dealer sells the bike to her, can I then get the Green Book in my own name?

That assumes she and the motorcycle stick around long enough. I don't know her so I'm not passing judgment on her personally. But a lot of local "GF's" would take the scooter in their name and be gone- and you'd be wondering what just happened.

the guy is full of shit. Go somewhere else if he is too stupid to sell a motorcycle. When I bought my ER6n in Nakhon Sawan, I went by myself and had my passport (marriage extension), my Thai driving license and cash. They took care of everything -- my name. I road away same day with a red palte loaned to me, and the permanent plate and green book came in the mail later.

but I think that it is only valid for a short period, so use it quickly, or you will have to apply again.

No idea why this is often stated ? I renewed my 5yr Licenses last December, I took a 'certificate of residency' from Immigration dated April 2010... I asked the Lady and she said the 'proof' is good for 1 year.

Monday this week I sold my car, the 'certificate of residency' from Immigration was dated 7th March 2011, No problem or questions asked.

As for the Fee... At my local Immigration, if you want it while you wait = 500 baht, if posted to you EMS = 100 baht, if you go back 2 days later = FREE

Alaska Dave, huh? Do you miss the salmon fishing and moose hunting you once took for granted as much as I do?

I still spend summers in Alaska. I don't moose hunt but do enjoy the occasional moose ribs cooked on the BBQ. Along with black cod, salmon ranks as the best fish in the world and when I'm in Alaska I eat it a lot. Makes these little farmed fish look puny (and bony) by comparison.

but I think that it is only valid for a short period, so use it quickly, or you will have to apply again.

No idea why this is often stated ? I renewed my 5yr Licenses last December, I took a 'certificate of residency' from Immigration dated April 2010... I asked the Lady and she said the 'proof' is good for 1 year.

Monday this week I sold my car, the 'certificate of residency' from Immigration was dated 7th March 2011, No problem or questions asked.

As for the Fee... At my local Immigration, if you want it while you wait = 500 baht, if posted to you EMS = 100 baht, if you go back 2 days later = FREE

I renewed my license to five years. I have NEVER had a certificate of residency. I just took in my one year license (for renewal) and my passport.

I have a "Yellow Book" that I used for the first one year license, but NOBODY has wanted to even look at it since -- it just sits in a drawed unused. To get the Yellow Book, the village leader (puyai) had to go in and tell the Balat at the Amphur that, "Yes, the farang lives where he says he does," and that was it. No certificates, only my passport (and a couple of beers for the puyai). Now, I NEVER carry my passport. It stays in the drawer with the Yellow Book. Everybody is satisfies with my driver license (my bank, hotels, cops, Transportation Department, etc.). I only use the passport only for annual renewals of my marriage extension. I have copies of it in my computer that I print and mail with 90 day report.

Edited by TongueThaied

Yellow tambian baan is proof of residence and accepted at some Driver's License offices. However,I recently purchased a new honda and the dealer did not accept the yelllow tambian baan and wanted a driver's license or certifcate of residence. They need this to apply for registration of the bike and insurance.

Yellow tambian baan is proof of residence and accepted at some Driver's License offices. However,I recently purchased a new honda and the dealer did not accept the yelllow tambian baan and wanted a driver's license or certifcate of residence. They need this to apply for registration of the bike and insurance.

Again, thanks one and all for your help.

Okay, so I've determined from the replies to my question that I will need a Certificate of Residence in order to buy a bike in Bangkok, and presumably, anywhere in Thailand. As I said before, my GF will come along with me to Thai Immigration and she will bring her ID with address information. We live together but are not married. What are the chances we can obtain the C of R from Immigration? (Cost is not really important.) While we're on the subject of Thai Immigration - do I go to the "new" immigration office or the one near or on Sathorn Road?

BTW, asiaexpat, while it has no bearing on my question I'm curious nevertheless -- which Honda did you purchase?

Also, in response to impulse who suggested she will run off with my bike, I tell you she's not a bar girl and never was. If anyone ends our relationship it will likely be me as I'm not known for staying for the long haul LOL. After 8 months together I'm completely happy with her and how she treats me. She is a refreshing change from American women in many respects.

Dave

>>No idea why this is often stated ? I renewed my 5yr Licenses last December, I took a 'certificate of residency' from Immigration dated April 2010... I asked the Lady and she said the 'proof' is good for 1 year.<<

Chiang Mai immigration asked B500 for the cert of residence ( its B200 in Jomtien /Pattaya ) and they said that its only valid for 30 days . :jap:

What about buying a bike from a farang? Does the seller need to provide proof of residency to sell the bike when ownership transfer is done?

How long is the proof of residency valid?

Can only speak for myself both last December and Monday this week, the Office dealing with ownership change, well in Nonthaburi anyway except the 'proof of residency' up to 1 year after date of issue.......... On the 'proof of residency' letter from Immigration it is valid for 1 month.

Yes both parties buyer and seller need 'proof of residency' if farang, i.d and blue house book if Thai.

• 2 months later...

To start I want to say that a few days ago I bought a brand new Honda CBR250 that will eventually have a Green Book with my name in it. There were many suggestions in this forum as to how to obtain the Certificate of Residency required by my Honda dealer here in Bangkok. I cannot speak for how this might work in other cities because I've heard many stories about how here in LOS the local authorities apparently bend the rules at their discretion but I'm in Bangkok and the price quoted for the CBR with ABS was at least 10K cheaper than either Udon, Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai so Bangkok it was when the time came to buy.

I tried the Thai Immigration route first. I had my Thai girlfriend along to make sure I could understand what was being said. But the Thai Immigration officials here in Bangkok told us in no uncertain terms and in two languages that with only my Tourist Visa I could not get the Certificate of Residence from them. Period.

So I went to the American Citizens' Services office (ACS) in Bangkok, paid them the exorbitant fee of $50 and for that received a notarized document stating that I lived at such and such address and that I wanted the document in order to buy a motorbike. I brought along a copy of our rental agreement I had obtained from the gal who manages our apartment complex in Banglamphu but I don't think they even looked at it. (Although they may have - everything at ACS is done behind closed doors.) Basically all I had to do was swear that I was telling the truth as to my residence and a Vice Counsel for the U.S. signed it, I signed it, and he embossed it with his Official Seal.

I took this document to my Honda dealer along with 115K THB, allowed them to copy my Passport with their in-house scanner and was able to purchase the bike with no problem or questions. So, the long and the short of it is that while the U.S. Embassy route was relatively expensive, it worked.

Problem solved.

After reading all the posts here,it seems there is more than one way to skin a cat regarding this subject.Try the cheapest and easiest way first and if that does't work then try the next cheapest and easiest and so on and so on.

I tried the Thai Immigration route first. I had my Thai girlfriend along to make sure I could understand what was being said. But the Thai Immigration officials here in Bangkok told us in no uncertain terms and in two languages that with only my Tourist Visa I could not get the Certificate of Residence from them. Period.

Immigration will not issue a Certificate of Residence unless you have a Non-Immigrant visa and do 90 day reporting.

Vis a vis you must be in the country for over 90 days legally to qualify. Otherwise it is the Embassy/Notary route which is usually more hassle and expensive.

@oberkommando - This is correct. And that is essentially what the Immigration officials told me.

And yet I have friends who have worked their way around this requirement somehow, although not in Bangkok. In Udon and Chiang Mai friends of mine own motorcycles for which they have Green Books with their names inside, and have been here on plain old Tourist Visas like mine. One of my friends just purchased a new bike in Chiang Mai. He walked in with cash money and drove his new bike out the door that same day. He was told he would have his Green Book and plates within a month. (No Cert of Residence, standard Tourist Visa.) Another friend, in Udon two years ago, took along a person who was apparently willing to say my friend lived at such and such address -- he obtained a Cert of Residency which he was able to use when he purchased a new bike. I dont understand how either of these situations could be legal given what we know the rules to be.

Given those true-life examples and the fact that several folks responded to this thread (and other threads in other forums) with conflicting information, I tried the Thai Immigration route without sucess. Is it inconsistent application of the same rule or diffferent rules in different localities?

Maybe you have the answer to a related question. What if I want to sell this motorcycle and buy another? Will I need to get another signed U.S. Embassy Affidavit or will the fact that I already have a Green Book make it easier? (Or hell, maybe I'll just buy it in Chiang Mai.)

Thanks for your time and response.