Big Price Difference!

drake

All I know is that my eating out bill has halved since I moved back up to Chiang Mai and we eat out almost three times as much as when we lived in Phuket, the quality of the food is way way higher here with a significantly greater choice of (Thai) restaurants to chose from, really nice ones too and not just local food stalls. I now eat Thai food 75% of the time out of choice.

havent been to Chiang mai for a few years so curious about the chain restaurants prices up north

in a bkk/isarn chain like Yum Sap, I often eat deep fried fish filets with spicy mango salad at 69 baht and boiled shrimps with spicy saus at 75 baht. Central, Phuket. Coconut "shake" at 39 baht. todays lunch so remember prices ;)

and presently 2 Kg BBQ ribs in my steamer, 155 baht/Kg at BigC Phuket

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is that my eating out bill has halved since I moved back up to Chiang Mai and we eat out almost three times as much as when we lived in Phuket, the quality of the food is way way higher here with a significantly greater choice of (Thai) restaurants to chose from, really nice ones too and not just local food stalls. I now eat Thai food 75% of the time out of choice.

havent been to Chiang mai for a few years so curious about the chain restaurants prices up north

in a bkk/isarn chain like Yum Sap, I often eat deep fried fish filets with spicy mango salad at 69 baht and boiled shrimps with spicy saus at 75 baht. Central, Phuket. Coconut "shake" at 39 baht. todays lunch so remember prices ;)

and presently 2 Kg BBQ ribs in my steamer, 155 baht/Kg at BigC Phuket

Sorry but I haven't been to any of the chain restaurants so I can't comment - I'm not sure that CM has that many chain restaurants to be honest, since there's so much local competition amongst the one offs. One of my favorite non-chain restaurants though, right next to the river and a leisurely stroll from where I live, has a menu where nothing is more than THB59 per dish with most coming in at THB29 per dish. You may think at those prices the portions are tiny or the food crap, on the contrary, whilst the dishes are not huge they are more than adequate and the quality is just excellent, exactly how they manage to make a profit eludes me, Mrs CM says she couldn't cook the same at home for the same price.

Sorry but I haven't been to any of the chain restaurants so I can't comment - I'm not sure that CM has that many chain restaurants to be honest, since there's so much local competition amongst the one offs. One of my favorite non-chain restaurants though, right next to the river and a leisurely stroll from where I live, has a menu where nothing is more than THB59 per dish with most coming in at THB29 per dish. You may think at those prices the portions are tiny or the food crap, on the contrary, whilst the dishes are not huge they are more than adequate and the quality is just excellent, exactly how they manage to make a profit eludes me, Mrs CM says she couldn't cook the same at home for the same price.

same thing with the Kata Beach vendors popping up around 5pm, and a bunch of restaurants in Chalong. 50 baht gets me a huge portion of pat tai gung, to be enjoyed beachside a couple of times a month. cant cook 2 portions at home for 100 baht, so it takes volume, huge volumes, to make a profit

wonder why the russians go to 7/11 where 50 baht gets you 2 hotdogs?

Burger King extra long chicken went from 89-99-125 within three months..dont bother anymore.....

What an co-incident. That's also likely to be the chicks breast-waist-hip ratio after three months of junk food.

In America, I found BK beef superior to McD's. In Thailand I find them to be exactly the same, but BK is twice the price.

Surely not UG, tell us it's not true. You, a man of culture and taste and goodness, even well read, tell us you don't really eat that stuff - oh the horror and shame of it all.:ermm:

I eat at McDonald's once every few months. It reminds me of my childhood and most burgers in Thailand are not up to much, so why not every once in a while?

I have to admit that I eat at Zen Sushi a lot more often though.

Edited by Ulysses G.

In my opinion BK is better than MD here but both are rubbish i think the meat is microwaved

Hungry Jacks, its the Aussie version of BK is better they flame grill the meat

you mean harveys?

harveys-veggie-burger.jpg

thats what they actually look like.. HMMMMMM.. (thats a vege burger though)

In my opinion BK is better than MD here but both are rubbish i think the meat is microwaved

you mean harveys?

No i mean Hungry Jacks, There was no harveys in W Australia 6 years ago

Although the burger looks the same

you mean harveys?

No i mean Hungry Jacks, There was no harveys in W Australia 6 years ago

Although the burger looks the same

just looked at pictures and they dont look alike at all. Harveys is probably the best major fastfood chain. Even their hotdogs are amazing and fresh.

Now i just wish we could find those little spicy banana peppers in thailand :(

Haven't tried either McD or BK yet, but have found a couple of local restaurants that sell a decent 'burger'.

Of course they will never be like home (have you tried Thai beef? Its like shoe-leather...), but minced, its OK.

Mince is mince its only the fat content that makes the difference

The older the beef the tastier the mince

BK use low fat content mince the same as you get from the main tesco lotus store

They only import the expensive cuts of meat here although i have seen imported lamb mince at Macro

I dont want to eat Thai food 75% of the time. As a tourist a decade ago I did. I also dont want to eat food from my homecountry 75% of the time.

The beauty of living in Phuket is the huge variety of food from all over the world, and I can symply pick what I fancy :P

as for prices, I disagree. Most prices in Phuket out of the tourist tracks, are on par with the rest of the country.

Fuel, electricity, 7/11, Tesco, beer, cars, motocy, all prices same all over the country

Perhaps you're right, but when I was looking for a car (second hand) I found them more expensive than those available in Bangkok!

Rents are definitely more expensive here than pretty much anywhere other than Bangkok.

Clothing/furniture etc. are all more expensive here.

But I'll take your word for it that everything else is the same price as everywhere else in the country.

Maybe for take away's but you tell me where in Phuket you can sit in a very nice bar/restaurant and have a large Leo for 50bt. like I did last night. Same price's all over Thailand I don't think so. Oh and free ice. Edited by fredob43

<br />I eat at McDonald's once every few months. It reminds me of my childhood and most burgers in Thailand are not up to much, so why not every once in a while?<br />I have to admit that I eat at Zen Sushi a lot more often though.<br />

Dukes in CM make a mighty fine burger indeed. Can't be beaten.

BK use low fat content mince the same as you get from the main tesco lotus store

They only import the expensive cuts of meat here although i have seen imported lamb mince at Macro

Do you disagree that normal Thai beef is inedible unless minced?

Of coarse not, but once it is minced its as good as any other mince

I think that's what I said....

1000000000000% false

1000000000000% false

Why do you have that opinion??

The meat used for mince is the tough cuts in yearling beef

With old beef they mince all the cuts

I think that's what I said....

So, what are you talking about, we agree

i often make meals involving minced beef and separate them in the middle. Half tesco/cheap tops meat and half thai french or imported aus/nz

Not only the thai french and aus/nz looks a lot better visually, the food does not taste alike at ALL.

I hate how in this day and age people who no food knowledge always talk as if their taste are as good as anyone else's. It's like a guy whos just had his first honda jazz starts going on a mechanics forum and pissing on a bunch of better car just because his car runs decently.

i often make meals involving minced beef and separate them in the middle. Half tesco/cheap tops meat and half thai french or imported aus/nz

Not only the thai french and aus/nz looks a lot better visually, the food does not taste alike at ALL.

I hate how in this day and age people who no food knowledge always talk as if their taste are as good as anyone else's. It's like a guy whos just had his first honda jazz starts going on a mechanics forum and pissing on a bunch of better car just because his car runs decently.

Thai/ French mince is Thai beef

Where do you buy your AUS/NZ beef mince from