Some Local Info Please

thaibeachlovers

I know the TAT is on the Lamphun Rd, but is it anywhere near the overpass that goes to the airport? That's where I get off to go to Airport Plaza. Do they have an office in the Plaza? Can't find a map on the internet that identifies it.

Is there a songtheaw that goes to Home Pro from either Airport Plaza or Wararot market?

Good second hand bookshop within 10 minute walking distance of Wararot market ( or the Plaza )?

Is there an equivalent of Pantip ( or Tukom ) in C M where I can get cheap DVDs?

Thanks for any help.

No is the answer to your first two questions; the office is not far south of Nawarat Bridge.

Second hand bookshops mostly clustered within 10mins walking distance of Thapae Gate.

Cheap DVDs in Kad Suan Kaew, Tesco Lotus, Panthip Paza (south end of Night Bazaar Rd) and a couple of other computer 'plazas' near the NW corner of the moat, along the northern side.

Sorry, don't know about songtaew routes.

CMMCB

Songtels will take you where ever you want to go. If one says no the next one will. That is the red songtels they go all over the city.

Others have routes not sure of what they art I know the ones that hang around Chiang Mai gaste go to Hong Dong and the blue ones by the east side of the iron bridge go to Lamphon or Lamphong not sure which one I know it is the closest one.

Good Luck

Sorry about the spelling.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.I should have specified "is there a songtheaw ROUTE that goes to Home Pro, sorry. Anyway I found out today that there isn't, just "taxi" songtheaw. 80 baht from Home pro to Arcade- what a rip off. I'll walk next time as it isn't that far.

Actually, I discovered that there is a Home Pro on the yellow songtheaw route from Lamphun, so that will be my preferred option in the future.

Found cheap DVDs in the "old" Central.

Think I've sussed the songtheaws. In C M you just ask a red songtheaw if they are going where you want and it's 20 bht if they are. I'm used to Pattaya which has fixed routes for 10 baht, so I was a bit confused.

Thanks for the replies.I should have specified "is there a songtheaw ROUTE that goes to Home Pro, sorry.

Yes, all the yellow ones that go down to Hang Dong and beyond (mostly start at Chiang Mai Gate / Wualai Road) will pass the intersection of the Hang Dong road with the Middle Ring, where Big C is, and also Home Pro. (You will easily see Big C, Home Pro is just behind/next to it)

(There are two Home Pro's, there's the one above and there's one on the Superhighway attached to what used to be Carrefour but is now Big-C-Fancysomehting. ("Extra"?)

Thanks for the replies.I should have specified "is there a songtheaw ROUTE that goes to Home Pro, sorry.

Yes, all the yellow ones that go down to Hang Dong and beyond (mostly start at Chiang Mai Gate / Wualai Road) will pass the intersection of the Hang Dong road with the Middle Ring, where Big C is, and also Home Pro. (You will easily see Big C, Home Pro is just behind/next to it)

(There are two Home Pro's, there's the one above and there's one on the Superhighway attached to what used to be Carrefour but is now Big-C-Fancysomehting. ("Extra"?)

Thanks.

No is the answer to your first two questions; the office is not far south of Nawarat Bridge.

Second hand bookshops mostly clustered within 10mins walking distance of Thapae Gate.

Cheap DVDs in Kad Suan Kaew, Tesco Lotus, Panthip Paza (south end of Night Bazaar Rd) and a couple of other computer 'plazas' near the NW corner of the moat, along the northern side.

CMMCB

All correct. But I wonder why the OP wants to go to TAT?

Last time I was there (admittedly a few years ago) a polite young Kiwi asked how to get to Wat Umong.

The pretty university girls on the desk, there to practice their English, asked him (all in succession) to sit down and wait.

Then the resident genius (also female) came out and smilingly told him to take a red songtaew (better known as seelors) to the Zoo, then walk up the nearest soi to the back of the zoo.

I dashed out and corrected this nonsense. Otherwise he might still be walking.

Beware TAT Northern Region No 1.......!

CMMCB

Last time I was there (admittedly a few years ago) a polite young Kiwi asked how to get to Wat Umong.

The pretty university girls on the desk, there to practice their English, asked him (all in succession) to sit down and wait.

Then the resident genius (also female) came out and smilingly told him to take a red songtaew (better known as seelors) to the Zoo, then walk up the nearest soi to the back of the zoo.

I went to the TAT because they have heaps of brochures and maps and don't hassle me to buy a tour.

BTW, it's a very attractive building.

CMMCB

I went to the TAT because they have heaps of brochures and maps and don't hassle me to buy a tour.

BTW, it's a very attractive building.

Nice building.

Shame about the brains.