Changing Thai Child'S Name

scottydel

Hi,

Never ceases to amaze me how rude the folks at our amphur are. My wife and I have a 4-year-old son. We had a village wedding in 2007, and are now finally registering the marriage and changing my wife and son's last name to match my last name.

They are allowing wife and son to take my last name, however, we wanted to give our son the middle name "Andaman", and they said we can't. They said we can use "Anda" but not "Andaman". Is this because "Andaman" is a proper noun (as in the Andaman Sea), or are they just giving us a hard time as they usually like to do?

Thanks,

-Scott

Change of Forename

Regulations

1. Names must not resemble, or be intended to resemble, the name of the King, Queen or royal titles.
  2. Names must have meaning in the Thai language must not be vulgar.

http://www.dopa.go.t...ervi/cfname.htm

That are the rules.

Thanks Mario. Do you know which category Andaman falls into? Do the Thais have a different name for the Andaman Sea? Naming someone after a piece of nearby geography constitutes meaning to me!

Change of Forename

Regulations

1. Names must not resemble, or be intended to resemble, the name of the King, Queen or royal titles.
  2. Names must have meaning in the Thai language must not be vulgar.

http://www.dopa.go.t...ervi/cfname.htm

That are the rules.

Thanks Mario. Do you know which category Andaman falls into? Do the Thais have a different name for the Andaman Sea? Naming someone after a piece of nearby geography constitutes meaning to me!

Also interesting that they are letting us change his first name to "Eric" which is clearly not Thai, but denying us "Andaman" as a middle name.

My guess is the amphur is mistaken with the name of Rama VIII, His Majesty Ananda Mahidol, (พระบาทสมเด็จพระปรเมนทรมหาอานันทมหิดล พระอัฐมรามาธิบดินทร) and therefor are not allowing it. Maybe politely pointing out the difference might solve it.

As you are a foreigner, a foreign name for the child is normally allowed .

I had the same problem in another country, but was a problem with my sons first name, I chose Kenny, but according to their rules the name could be for a boy or a girl, so I had to add a middle name that made the first one a male name.

I hate these funny rules, there is no law naming your child like Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily Hutchence Geldof for example

Edited by beano2274

As far as I know they are allowing a middle name. We're going back next week, and I'll try and get to the bottom of it! I'll pick some besides Andaman in case it just doesn't fly. I agree this is silly stuff, shouldn't be that difficult as long as it's not offensive.

>we wanted to give our son the middle name "Andaman", and they said we can't. They said we can use "Anda" but not "Andaman".

This implies they allow a middle name? When our child went to the local Amphur office we were told no middle names, just first and last name fits on an ID card.

I've got two middle names. Fit perfectly well on my Thai ID card...