In The Sticks - Phone Line/ Internet

jambco984

So the missus and the family are from Sukhothai, fortunately not in a busy area but in the sticks, its peaceful and just the way I like it. But to ruin that I could do with some internet action (hi speed). I have a dtac aircard which is no use at the home.

If I walked into any of the providers whats the outcome?

Im asking with no knowledge of how it works over here. I know exactly what to do in the UK but things move in mysterious ways in the LOS.

Would they have to run a phone line the 10km from the nearest town or is there an easier solution. I say this as no one has a land line. If its going to cost a fortune then I'll forget the whole thing but if anyone has had any experience with a similar thing then I'd much appreciate some positive sharing.

Not just calling me a wally and the likes for not knowing.

Thanks in advance

jambco984

Not sure how applicable this is, but my friend lives up in BC Canada and has no land line or cell tower connections. He had a pretty reasonably priced satellite hookup for Television, Phone, and Internet.

Don't even consider this in Thailand. It's terrible and expensive.

Thanks for both thoughts, Im still unsure, I headed to the CAT website but its not much use, Ill need to go into a store i think.

Im about 20km from the main town centre and about 10ish km to the nearest small town with internet, phone lines etc.

Of the 20 houses in the village none have a land line all bad reception mobiles, but none would have the money to install a landline

thank you

They (the phone companies) wouldnt run to the expense of suppliying the necessary hardware to supply a phoneline, unless there were a demand.

Therein is your problem. If theres no demand then ...no phoneline

A friend of mine took up residence in a largish village about 20 Kilometres east of Pattaya. Not quite in the boonies, but far enough away from the bright lights, and near enough for things like Western style shopping, etc. Then he came to the same situation as you re internet. Called round all the companies in the Pattaya area and was told either a flat "no hab" or that they wouldn't provide an additional tranche of lines until at least another 100 people were to show an interest. (They...TOT, btw):rolleyes: had already laid on the 1st 100 lines a few years before.

You will also have the added problem of trying to create that demand from people who need dragging from a 19th century attitude and lifestyle into the 20 century...nevermind the fact that its the 21st already!!!!

Penkoprod

Not sure how applicable this is, but my friend lives up in BC Canada and has no land line or cell tower connections. He had a pretty reasonably priced satellite hookup for Television, Phone, and Internet.

Why would it be terrible and expensive? The whole idea is the package is self contained. Many people have Satelliter. Small bandwidth to add Internet connectivity. My friend used VOIP over the satellite. Prices were not horrible. Location should have little impact on prices. All you need is power to plug in the receiving terminal and device. But I defer to the experts.

Why would it be terrible and expensive? The whole idea is the package is self contained. Many people have Satelliter. Small bandwidth to add Internet connectivity. My friend used VOIP over the satellite. Prices were not horrible. Location should have little impact on prices. All you need is power to plug in the receiving terminal and device. But I defer to the experts.

Your OP is not the first time this issue has been discussed on Thai Visa.

1. In Thailand there is only one Sattelite provider - IPSTAR, and it's by subscription only. You can't access it without their equipment. You are half way around the world from Canada. You most likely couldn't get a footprint from any Satellite other than ThaiCom 4.used by IPSTAR.
  2. The last time I checked,IPSTAR Is about 3000 baht/mo.
  3. The connection is very slow.
  4. They have very poor customer service.
  5. You often have no internet service.

Do a search on Thai Visa Forms for IPSTAR. You'll see lots of posts with unfavorable comments.

You will also see the answers to your OP.:

Sorry you are in Thailand. You have to put up with a lot of inconvenience for the pleasure of being here. ;).

I would guess that your friends using satellite are not in Thailand?

Believe what BP1950 says.

I lived with IPStar for almost 3 years because I had no other option (pre EDGE). I cursed it 90% of the time and whined about the rest of the time. Support was terrible to non-existent. Damned expensive. On good days, it was about as good/bad as CAT EDVO is for me now. Bt 2,700 vs Bt 700.

Go for CAT.

I keep asking about TRUE 3g but never get answers. I'm 30 km outside Korat town.

Edited by klikster