Headlight Bulb Replacement

Deke

I think I'm getting stupider as I get older.

I'm trying to put a new headlight bulb into my 2003 Ford Ranger but I can't figure out how to get the old bulb out. It looks like it should just twist or pull out but it doesn't and there's a rubber boot around the whole back of the assembly that seems to be permanently fixed in place as well.

Any Ford experts out there?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks TransAm. I did quite a bit of pulling and twisting on the rubber but there was no movement at all.

I also found a video on the internet but the Ford Ranger that they were working on wasn't anything like mine. I guess the truck that they call "Ranger" in the US is different from what they sell here.

Pull rubber cap off. its there to protect from dust and water, but pulls right off backwards, remains on wiring

release clips holding bulb

take bulb out. If new bulbs glass has been touched by fingers, clean it with blue 80% alcohol first. Fingerprints/grease on bulb will be burned to the inside of cars reflector and glass, and reduce brightness significantly. Install bulb same way as old one. clips on. rubber cap on

halogen usually have approx same lifetime,so replace both sides

Pull rubber cap off. its there to protect from dust and water, but pulls right off backwards, remains on wiring

release clips holding bulb

take bulb out. If new bulbs glass has been touched by fingers, clean it with blue 80% alcohol first. Fingerprints/grease on bulb will be burned to the inside of cars reflector and glass, and reduce brightness significantly. Install bulb same way as old one. clips on. rubber cap on

halogen usually have approx same lifetime,so replace both sides

You and TransAm were right, the rubber cap does pull off. My initial efforts were just too timid. After that, it's just one clip holding the bulb in place.

Thanks.