Poll Reveals A Decline In Government Popularity

Lite Beer

Poll reveals a decline in political popularity

BANGKOK 2 October, 2011 (NNT)-Results from a recent poll suggest that popularity of the government and politics in general is on the way down

Suan Dusit Poll had revealed an index predicament on the subject of politics , revealing that the popularity is on the decline. By referring to 25 factors of indicators such as the state of civil wellness, the roles of the media, the capacity of the Opposition to handle tasks, etc. the results proved to be on the decline.

According to the poll, 5,376 respondents rated politics 5.24 out of 10 points, an average from the overall 25 factors of indicators. The largest factors that were on the decline include public education, the government’s ability to comply to tasks, and national corruption.

The poll also added that the last year’s results proved to be greater.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-10-02 footer_n.gif

this poll likely reflects a general disappointment in the governments performance in enacting positive change for the general populous rather than for the benefit of one man......

We might well be able to deduce that from the polls - but it would be far more meaningful if The Nation had published the results of all 25 indexs in full rather than offering up their own synopsis.

this poll likely reflects a general disappointment in the governments performance in enacting positive change for the general populous rather than for the benefit of one man......

We might well be able to deduce that from the polls - but it would be far more meaningful if The Nation had published the results of all 25 indexs in full rather than offering up their own synopsis.

Or the National News Bureau, for that matter.

Here's a link to the original poll, if anyone wants to translate it and make sense of it. http://dusitpoll.dusit.ac.th/polldata/2554/25541317524429.pdf

Imagine how disappointed they will be in 6 months. This governement could go down as the worst ever

Then of course the argument will be the lady is not up the job, time to bring back the big man.

i have said this before but i think this thread deserves a re-run of my thoughts:

here's my thoughts for what they are worth:

we can expect a general election next year

my thinking on this is as follows

this government is simply a vehicle to get everything in place for Thaksins return, its like a pre-runner government

its not really meant to achieve anything, they have been instructed to simply tread water and just potter along without doing anything too radical to cause a serious protest or even a coup

the overall plan is to do very little except transfer Thaksin sympathizers into the top spots and by doing nothing they create a needy political atmosphere for some real leadership

after Thaksin's return and he having been cleared of all charges and the five year political ban has elapsed, he and the other 100+ banned thai rak thai politicians that are currently advising caretaker PM Yingluck will be free to run for office again

a new Thaksin led party will emerge, the caretaker PM will call an election, Phua Thai in its current form will lose ground wholesale, the new party will win by a landslide, no coalition with anyone will be needed

the current red MP's will be voted out of office by their own people in favour of Thaksins paid for and bought up cronies

consequently Thaksin and the voters will have in th eyes of the law legitimately ditched the red MP's who brought him home and his thai rak thai guys will take their current positions and a new order will emerge

the reds are going to be very unhappy but what can they say?

they were the ones who wanted Thaksin back and the red MP's were voted out by their own red people in favour of Thaksin's ''real politicians''

thaksin will be happy, he wins by a true landslide, everyone is where they are supposed to be already under this silent coup that's taking place right now

thaksin and all his mates will be back and rich(er) in six months.

the people will not.

the red menace will be disbanded and disheartened through lack of funding from thaksin

they will not be needed as Thaksin has got his own better equipped army to back him up and he does not want a conflict he can't win

the reds will go back to picking rice, being treated like the mushrooms (kept in the dark and fed on shit) they are and left wondering what the hell happened ?

a very major event occurs that shakes the foundations of Thailand

someone involved closely in that very major event makes a new deal with the new order and Thaksin dynasty runs forever and ever and ever..........

Edited by timekeeper

Imagine how disappointed they will be in 6 months. This governement could go down as the worst ever

Then of course the argument will be the lady is not up the job, time to bring back the big man.

i have said this before but i think this thread deserves a re-run of my thoughts:

this government is simply a vehicle to get everything in place for Thaksins return, its like a pre-runner government

its not really meant to achieve anything, they have been instructed to simply tread water and just potter along without doing anything too radical to cause a serious protest or even a coup

the overall plan is to do very little except transfer Thaksin sympathizers into the top spots and by doing nothing they create a needy political atmosphere for some real leadership

after Thaksin's return and he having been cleared of all charges and the five year political ban has elapsed, he and the other 100+ banned thai rak thai politicians that are currently advising caretaker PM Yingluck will be free to run for office again

a new Thaksin led party will emerge, the caretaker PM will call an election, Phua Thai in its current form will lose ground wholesale, the new party will win by a landslide, no coalition with anyone will be needed

the current red MP's will be voted out of office by their own people in favour of Thaksins paid for and bought up cronies

consequently Thaksin and the voters will have in th eyes of the law legitimately ditched the red MP's who brought him home and his thai rak thai guys will take their current positions and a new order will emerge

they were the ones who wanted Thaksin back and the red MP's were voted out by their own red people in favour of Thaksin's ''real politicians''

thaksin will be happy, he wins by a true landslide, everyone is where they are supposed to be already under this silent coup that's taking place right now

the people will not.

the red menace will be disbanded and disheartened through lack of funding from thaksin

they will not be needed as Thaksin has got his own better equipped army to back him up and he does not want a conflict he can't win

the reds will go back to picking rice, being treated like the mushrooms (kept in the dark and fed on shit) they are and left wondering what the hell happened ?

someone involved closely in that very major event makes a new deal with the new order and Thaksin dynasty runs forever and ever and ever..........

Great piece of drivel.... a new order of Hoi Sois..... But the reds are armed now and will not go without a fight , thats for sure.... well... maybe without a soccer match..!

the people will not.

Great piece of drivel.... a new order of Hoi Sois..... But the reds are armed now and will not go without a fight , thats for sure.... well... maybe without a soccer match..!

thanks for your ''constructive'' criticism

the reds will Wai very low to Thaksin

remember they elected a clone PM simply for having the same name

watch this space.........

Edited by timekeeper

I think 'Timekeeper' made some valid points - I first came to Thailand just before the 2006 coup and I've seen and experienced the sways of opinion from my Thai friends, neighbors and colleagues. They are all so fickle, so easily swayed, and this is no less true for the few friends I have who are quite well off ie it's not a class issue. After I saw the results of the last election I remember just thinking in despair - Thai's want to go back to that? Well it's their country but this latest poll reveals just how true my personal observation holds.

the people will not.

I agree with all you have prophecised but add that this government will also make the controversial decision and MACHINATION that will, through graft and coruption, make payments to Thaskins loyal supporters and finace his re-election.

the people will not.

That's a very plausible outcome.

the people will not.

That's a very plausible outcome.

Am I wrong or did the poll (not the headline) make the point that people had lost faith in politics? The article mentions both the government and the opposition. In that case the Thai electorate is following the situation in most western democracies where cynicism about politicians is rampant. Surely that shows that they are more than the mere unsophisticated ballot fodder that so many on here believe. As usual, however, this article is a rallying call for the self-appointed guardians of the nation to whom Thaksin is the equivalent of Genghis Khan. I have more respect for the thais than to believe that they are not aware of the "warts and all" of their leaders

Am I wrong or did the poll (not the headline) make the point that people had lost faith in politics?

Basically, you're wrong. Did you read the article?

Results from a recent poll suggest that popularity of the government and politics in general is on the way down

(not that I would take much notice of this poll or, particularly, the analysis of it.)

As reflected in the other poll showing the benefit of one man is not what they want. It's a shame the populace is waking up only after the election.

"Results from a recent poll suggest that popularity of the government and politics in general is on the way down"

SHOCKING!

Edited by metisdead
Using bold font is not necessary, bold font removed.

Am I wrong or did the poll (not the headline) make the point that people had lost faith in politics?

Basically, you're wrong. Did you read the article?

Results from a recent poll suggest that popularity of the government and politics in general is on the way down

(not that I would take much notice of this poll or, particularly, the analysis of it.)

No I am not wrong, as you quote "politics in general". ...

the strategy pre election and in the first month was to put in a full year of hard work, then return to the polls with the 111 banned returning, and aim for 350 seats, thus making it IMPOSSIBLE to say no to a full electoral rejig of the constitution, pardon, etc etc. And then serve a full term, and take what is going while ensuring all political obstacles were removed (watchdogs, military, police, NGOs, etc) for the following election and a chance to run business and politics as they see fit (we saw how that plays out in 2005).

350 would require to eat up all the little parties (easy) and also to win a 2001 level of support in Bangkok and the middle class of the cities provincially (not so easy). This would have been acheived through sheer activity - a government you couldn't say no to because they try lots and lots of things.

It's the 2003-4 playbook and not difficult to see, also relatively openly discussed at that time immediately post election.

However, as of today, the PM is not shining as a leader outside of a scripted moment, nor able to present at a detailed level, and the protection she is requiring is not conduicive to showing strong leadership.

The floods unluckily have saddled with the government with a problem they cannot solve, and also opened up some major issues with the government method of working and even the crop pledge system. The global crisis this time around has landed in their lap; they can talk up their policies all they want, but the swing vote they are trying to win are the ones who are both affected globally and now also realise they are having to fund all these schemes, pay more for staff, and in many cases, they realise that the car policy/home policy is actually a negative; for everyone who isn't eligible, it's a penalty because it depresses the 2nd hand market and the assets they own but they foot the bill for it.

The degree of analysis and lack of media control relative to 2004 has surprised them a little; the policies they planned were easy to say in a 4 weeks period leading to the election but are proving mostly rather problematic to implement and this backtracking and changing doesn't work with the current PM who cannot bluster and intimidate the media as that's not her personality nor her way or working (nor does she have the knowledge and experience to do so). And yet Chalerm is hard at work; now the swing vote may start to worry that government is about 1 man instead of the policies they promised.

PT will not go to the polls next year unless they have a clear increase in the number of seats they get. Right now they are almost 300 including the little parties; anything less would be almost like a mandate NOT to continue their current course; they cannot risk that. Also, there's the issue of slotting the 111 in; not all will return, but those who do will want seats, the only way to give them seats or representation is to increase their share. And that's also not counting the cabinet rejig.

They are scrambling a bit, and it doesn't help that the attempts to close off all the watchdogs and media to date is not nearly as successful as under Thaksin's 2003-4 period.

From a democracy perspective; sure Anand's comments are worrisome; however perhaps finally now we will see some actual democracy in action - a proper opposition, not like the PT efforts of the last 2 years but real efforts to get improved government. (glass half full)

The Thai people should appreciate the value of their politicians. They are the amongst the best money can buy.

Don't know about the best money can buy - it was more like a typical end-of-year fire-sale - everything discounted to get rid of all the surplus, useless and redundant stock.