Should I Get A Non-Immigrant O-A Visa?

I plan to retire in Thailand. However, I don't foresee staying in Thailand at any given time more than 3 months straight, as I often travel around Asia (Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, China). But my primary resident (retirement base) will be Thailand, and Thailand will be the place where I will be renting housing.

Should I still get a multiple entry Non-Immigrant O-A visa, although I won't likely need extension of stay?

if you get a multiply entry you can come and go for one year and then on the second year you willneed a reentry permit to return without losing the visa. This will give you two years but why not get the extension of stay you can come and go with a reentry permit and will not have to hassel with another visa after the non-oa is finished unless of course you will be travelling back to your home country and can obtain another oa

Supply info on the financial method you plan to use to qualify for more specific advice. The way you put it, generally you can use either method, starting with O-A or starting with extensions. EVENTUALLY, you will need to get extensions like everyone else.

Edited by Jingthing

The multi entry non immigrant O-A visa would be ideal for you as for first year any new entry gets a new one year stay so very easy to travel and return. Then for entry after expiration of the one year validity of visa you would need re-entry permit as if a normal extension of stay and from there you would extend at immigration each year (unless you prefer to return to home country and repeat the O-A process as a few do).

The multi entry non immigrant O-A visa would be ideal for you as for first year any new entry gets a new one year stay so very easy to travel and return. Then for entry after expiration of the one year validity of visa you would need re-entry permit as if a normal extension of stay and from there you would extend at immigration each year (unless you prefer to return to home country and repeat the O-A process as a few do).

Thanks for all the input. Yes, I will have 800K in the bank. It looks like the best thing to do is get the Non-OA first, then just prior to expiration at the end of the year, get an extension. Thanks, everyone.

Thanks for all the input. Yes, I will have 800K in the bank. It looks like the best thing to do is get the Non-OA first, then just prior to expiration at the end of the year, get an extension. Thanks, everyone.

Actually, if you time your travel plans right, you can get TWO years with the O-A multi entry option before worrying about your first extension in Thailand.

So you are using the 800K in the bank method. What country is this money banked in?

You do realize for the O-A from your home country using the banked money method, typically people show the banked money in their home country and it does not need to be in Thailand?

For extensions, it must be in Thailand. So with the O-A you wouldn't need to import that money for two years. That is definitely a big benefit to the O-A option.

Edited by Jingthing