English Programmes Face Lack Of Teachers: Thai Education

webfact

Oh My fearful Ajarns

Have you forgotten the wise words of guidance from our benificent square head Leader (suitably headlined in the BKK post) before he got kicked out and branded a common thief.

Thailand does not need foreigners to teach our children. Thais can teach English to our children themselves.

Anyone remember that far back when BKK was filled with bogus barrow boys posing as TEFLERs with Khoa San road degrees but only capable of speaking scumbag slang - happy days.

But this is a very old chestnut

I used to volunteer at my local Town school and we achieved some remarkable success with our English Club. The school tried to persuade me to join their staff(at 20,000B/m- a lot when the head of English only got 15,000) but I didn't want to become part of their corrupt admin and get kicked around.

My position as a volunteer was strictly illegal and I could have easily been locked up but for the protection of the local Pol Capt whose kid was also in my class.

One day he came to me and advise sadly that I should cease and disappear from the area for a while. It transpired that other schools in the area who didn't have any foreign assistance had become jealous and formally complained to the Provincial Governor

So that was that

The situation hasn't changed. They need native but educated language teaching assistants but place impracticable barriers and bureaucracy in the way. The Hisos don't want the plebs to learn English - so forget it.

The first thing they need to do is get serious about education. They talk a good talk, but they don't walk the walk. Examples; if a teacher is absent for the day, the students do not have a sub. The hour they should have had with a teacher, they spend on their mobile phones talking to friends or off campus doing nothing. Anything and almost everything is ahead of learning, ie; sports, going to the temple,competitions, cleaning the classroom, culture, etc. Until they walk the walk, Thailand will stay the third world country is is and has been for many years.

It goes all the way to the to the top, too. Just last week I had students complaining that their Thai professors either never showed up for the entire semester, or came only twice. Another Thai professor does not correct or hand back any of the assignments his students do--for a writing class!

If we foreigners whistle-blow, we're told to keep it to ourselves so as not to spoil the harmony among the staff. Harmony trumps education. Sad. sad.gif

Edited by Fookhaht

Thai have this natural instinct, “They can do it all and don’t need anybodies help”

The only way for education to change is for the people to demand the change and stop relying on MOE do it.

Most M.E.P. and I.E.P. programs in Thai schools are designed primary by older Thai teachers who feel their way is right and reject input from western teachers for help and designing of the curriculum. The students and parents complain at the Thai – Parents meetings. Thai staffs at the schools don’t listen to the parents.

I have seen a few good posts in Bangkok Post and Editorial from professional educators. I know some of them. When I print them off and give them to Thai School staff to look at and reflect on what the person has stated. Even when UNESCO comes up with suggestions. Thai often will throw that information into the nearest trashcan or delete it from their computer. Why?

The first thing they need to do is get serious about education. They talk a good talk, but they don't walk the walk. Examples; if a teacher is absent for the day, the students do not have a sub. The hour they should have had with a teacher, they spend on their mobile phones talking to friends or off campus doing nothing. Anything and almost everything is ahead of learning, ie; sports, going to the temple,competitions, cleaning the classroom, culture, etc. Until they walk the walk, Thailand will stay the third world country is is and has been for many years.

Here in the amazing Kingdom of Illusions the people that run things don't 'walk the talk' post-133770-0-58370300-1317652018_thumb.either because their overarching sense of 'face' doesn't allow them to accept responsibility for mistakes e.g. 'What are you talking about! I absolutely did NOT nail this piece of wood to my head - You're just trying to make trouble here and I don't like you anymore.'

Edited by GazR

I never saw any real sport being pursued in a serious way at Thai schools... so I disagree that sport comes before learning in Thailand. In my country the best schools academically are usually also the best sport schools. Sport is nothing here... I never even saw inter-school sports, only the once a year inter-house sports day. My High School had better sporting facilities than even the Universities do in Thailand.

My international school is in a league with about 18 other inter schools. We have three seasons, about 25 teams total that compete. Good stuff!