Click Or Mio, Does Underseat Storage Amake Aby Difference?

lordnedox

Hi,

i'm going to buy my first (small) motorbike in Thailand, and I ended up on 3 models:

- Honda Click-i 110

- Suzuki Skydrive 125

- Yamaha Mio 125

Fuel injection and low consumption are a great pro of the first two, but I wonder where i would keep my helmet as the storage space is ridicolous on both, and I'm not going to buy one of those popular 300b helmets.

I searched the forums but it looks like i'm the only one facing this problem.. Is there some secret tactic i'm not aware about??? :huh:

edit. sorry didn't notice the wrong title..

Edited by lordnedox

on all the bikes on your list you going to have trouble fitting in a "real helmet" and getting the seat to close but there is 2 "security" hooks under the seat to lock you helmet to the bike (outside )

the yamaha elegance is slightly larger and it can hold full face helmet if the size is not too big and the honda pcx can hold it it but they are both more expensive than the models on your list

Edited by wana

on all the bikes on your list you going to have trouble fitting in a "real helmet" and getting the seat to close but there is 2 "security" hooks under the seat to lock you helmet to the bike (outside )

the yamaha elegance is slightly larger and it can hold full face helmet if the size is not too big and the honda pcx can hold it it but they are both more expensive than the models on your list

Thanks for your reply,

I know that a full helmet cannot fit, but an open one should. Also the elegance is just 5-6K more expensive and could be an alternative, the pcx is way too big..

I will check again such locks next time i visit the shop, thank you ;)

Thanks for your reply,

I know that a full helmet cannot fit, but an open one should. Also the elegance is just 5-6K more expensive and could be an alternative, the pcx is way too big..

I will check again such locks next time i visit the shop, thank you ;)

the elegance is worth the extra 5-6 k imo , if the elegnace is inside your budget i would go for it ,

big storage box ,bigger fuel tank and when you take a passenger you will be glad of the 135cc engine in it

I went out to Bira on Saturday with a mate, was uber jealous that he could fit 12 cans of leo + ice under the seat on his Mio where as my Click had enough room for him to store is green book and insurance papers...................next to mine.

On a side note, other mate on a Suzuki Hayate could fit 20 cans of Singha under his seat with ice, unfortunately I could not accomodate his green book and insurance papers in my Click so they got wet in his.

Edited by Spoonman

I went out to Bira on Saturday with a mate, was uber jealous that he could fit 12 cans of leo + ice under the seat on his Mio where as my Click had enough room for him to store is green book and insurance papers...................next to mine.

On a side note, other mate on a Suzuki Hayate could fit 20 cans of Singha under his seat with ice, unfortunately I could not accomodate his green book and insurance papers in my Click so they got wet in his.

dear lord man ,call him asap and tell him it tastes much better out of bottles than aluminium cans :D

Very hard to resell Suzuki or Yamaha.

Thais like Honda!

(Except for the Fino which has a large girly market)

Elegance and PCX are for fat western men.

PS

you can stand a whole tray of beer in a Click footwell.

Edited by ludditeman

Thais like Honda!

PS

2 best "scooters" on the market only for fat western men ? i love this place :)

pcx may be a bit expensive but both it and the elegance is driven by many thai men including moto sai taxis

Thais like Honda!

PS

Well they quoted the elagance around 53/55K, while the PCX is around 75K, it's quite a difference.. Also imho the pcx has quite a classic design (something like a mercedes)

Fully agree on the resell potential, but i see way too many Click around the streets, i'm quite bored of them. Also I wonder which one is the most stolen?

Do you think it would be a huge mistake buying a carburetor bike, now that the market is moving in the opposite direction?

My wife's Fino is often filled with gasohol when benzine not arrivalbe, no problems so far, but the O-rings in the carburetor are getting hard by the gasohol which can give problems if the carbo has to be dismantled. Some people in the government wants to outface benzine so in my opinion FI is the way to go, and it also sets the combustion to the optimal at all times (better fuel economy).

I am planning to add a PCX to our "fleet" in December, I find it very comfortable and yes I guess you can call it the Mercedes of the scooters made in Thailand, only concern is that maybe a new engine will hit the market later, which is supposed to be even more economical than current one.

The Fino is way too cramped for me, but I still like to buzz around on it in Pattaya.

Thais like Honda!

PS

Well they quoted the elagance around 53/55K, while the PCX is around 75K, it's quite a difference.. Also imho the pcx has quite a classic design (something like a mercedes)

Fully agree on the resell potential, but i see way too many Click around the streets, i'm quite bored of them. Also I wonder which one is the most stolen?

Do you think it would be a huge mistake buying a carburetor bike, now that the market is moving in the opposite direction?

So what? The fuel economy of the Elegance and the PCX is identical. About the only real advantage of the fuel injection system over the carb here in Thailand is if you have the bike sitting for prolonged periods of time the Elegance will be harder to start----but only initially. If you prefer the larger and heavier PCX fine. It's a great bike. Others prefer the slimmer and lighter Elegance. But consider this.....the Elegance is around 53,000 baht whereas the PCX will be around 75000 baht. If you lose a little on resale because of the carb if you got the Elegance you still got in for around $700 less. You are going to have to lose a lot on the resale to make that huge price disparity up. I just bought a new Honda Civic for a tad over 800,000 baht. I think I stand to lose more on the resale than you if I've judged wrongly. Both the Elegance and the PCX drive great, have ample storage and excellent power for what they are. They are the cream of the crop representing the best combination of features and practicality when you compare them to the Clicks, Mios, Finos, Vespas, etc

Elegance and the PCX appear to come up on many posts, why no mention of the Tiger G-Max ? same size looks bigger has a 150 cc engine and 64k new.. now also do factory refurbished with 18 months warranty for 50k, are these not a good bike?

As for the 3 the OP is asking about, myself like Suzuki, but would think the better deal on both the Suzuki and the Mio would be a used one, 18 month old Skydrive 125 Fi, sells for around 28k, the 125 Mio even less, no point buying a used Click as not much cheaper then brand new.

My wife's Fino is often filled with gasohol when benzine not arrivalbe, no problems so far, but the O-rings in the carburetor are getting hard by the gasohol which can give problems if the carbo has to be dismantled. Some people in the government wants to outface benzine so in my opinion FI is the way to go, and it also sets the combustion to the optimal at all times (better fuel economy).

I am planning to add a PCX to our "fleet" in December, I find it very comfortable and yes I guess you can call it the Mercedes of the scooters made in Thailand, only concern is that maybe a new engine will hit the market later, which is supposed to be even more economical than current one.

The Fino is way too cramped for me, but I still like to buzz around on it in Pattaya.

I am very interested in your comments re a new PCX engine or even complete bike, can you tell me what you know or have heard. I am wanting to buy on Jan 2nd but would wait a while if something new were coming.

So what? The fuel economy of the Elegance and the PCX is identical. About the only real advantage of the fuel injection system over the carb here in Thailand is if you have the bike sitting for prolonged periods of time the Elegance will be harder to start----but only initially. If you prefer the larger and heavier PCX fine. It's a great bike. Others prefer the slimmer and lighter Elegance. But consider this.....the Elegance is around 53,000 baht whereas the PCX will be around 75000 baht. If you lose a little on resale because of the carb if you got the Elegance you still got in for around $700 less. You are going to have to lose a lot on the resale to make that huge price disparity up. I just bought a new Honda Civic for a tad over 800,000 baht. I think I stand to lose more on the resale than you if I've judged wrongly. Both the Elegance and the PCX drive great, have ample storage and excellent power for what they are. They are the cream of the crop representing the best combination of features and practicality when you compare them to the Clicks, Mios, Finos, Vespas, etc

Well actually what i meant is that I don't like the PCX (the classic design wasn't a pro), and I agree it's quite expensive compared to other models.

Elegance and the PCX appear to come up on many posts, why no mention of the Tiger G-Max ? same size looks bigger has a 150 cc engine and 64k new.. now also do factory refurbished with 18 months warranty for 50k, are these not a good bike?

As for the 3 the OP is asking about, myself like Suzuki, but would think the better deal on both the Suzuki and the Mio would be a used one, 18 month old Skydrive 125 Fi, sells for around 28k, the 125 Mio even less, no point buying a used Click as not much cheaper then brand new.

Where are such bikes sold in BKK? Also I guess it would not be so easy to find somebody to fix it, am i wrong?

Do you guys know any used bikes dealer around Bangna/Higher Sukhumvit/Rama 4? I couldn't find many as i expected, maybe they're located in another BKK area :whistling:

Where are such bikes sold in BKK? Also I guess it would not be so easy to find somebody to fix it, am i wrong?

No idea where your looking, around where i live almost all places sell both new and 2nd hand, as well as many repair shops appear to always have 3 or 4 with For Sale notice on them.

As for fixing it, have you looked around, within a few km from me out in the sticks, there are many Honda main dealers, at least 3 Yamaha Main dealers and 2 Suzuki main dealers that I know of + far to many repair workshops to count.

Edit: Never understand this fixation of where to fix, someone in the Village has a Suzuki Hayate is 4 years old uses it every day to go to work, never gone wrong, across the road has a old Yamaha he bought 10 years ago 2 nd hand, only locals runs 2 or 3 times a day, never had to have it fixed.

Edited by ignis

lordnedox, regardless of which bike you will buy, you should get rid of the idea to store your helmet under the seat. Have a look at the thread "Helmet Stank - It Stinks".

It's a pity to store your (expensive) helmet under the seat or in a top box and let the stinking bacteria grow. Maybe go for something cheap like a Avex Teenage or a Avex Dragon. They fit farang heads well and are sufficient for city traffic imho. Its better to have a cheap helmet on your head than to have an expensive helmet at home because it stinks. Or go for a Real helmet if you like to spend a bit more money for a bit more safety.

PCX, Elegance or G-Max, i guess they are all good. But for getting it serviced well i would recommend a Honda or Yamaha, cause they have service-shops everywhere and know their scooters well. Personally i don't like to switch to a EFI-Scooter because of gasohol. I will stick to benzine as long as possible.

Offer resistance to Gasohol!

:)

Well actually what i meant is that I don't like the PCX (the classic design wasn't a pro), and I agree it's quite expensive compared to other models.

Do you guys know any used bikes dealer around Bangna/Higher Sukhumvit/Rama 4? I couldn't find many as i expected, maybe they're located in another BKK area :whistling:

I would absolutely buy the Elegance then and not even think twice about it. A German I know owns four bike rental shops, one just one block from me and he handles top motorbikes that are nearly new and very well maintained. Seems to have more PCX's than anything and he even handles custom made seats for the PCX and has at least one with the Costa variator. While having a beer with him I asked him, "What bike do you drive?" He said, the Nouvo Elegance, and then he went on to tell me "zoom zoom" and then he described how quickly it handled. He feels the PCX is too heavy and bulky for his tastes. Needless to say he's going to drive what feels the best for him and if he preferred for instance the CBR 250 he'd be driving it for sure and certainly he'd be on one of his many PCX's if he felt it was the better handling, better driving bike. He's still on the red Nouvo Elegance and he's still ecstatic about it. I sold my old Yamaha Nouvo to a Swiss friend of mine who now has over 40,000 km on it and I'm now going nearly three years on my Elegance. Both of us feed our bikes turpentine, airplane glue, kerosene and even 91 gasohol with no ill effects. The carbs are just fine, but I do think the 135 c.c. Elegance will outdo the 115 c.c. MX on fuel economy. You won't go wrong on the Elegance unless for some reason you just don't like its styling or simply prefer the heavier weight of the PCX Trust me on this one. I find a lot to like about the PCX but the Elegance is a bike that will do just about everything well here in Pattaya, and again, as for the carburetor, the specs are different for the carb of the Elegance compared to those of the 115 c.c. MX it replaced. Go to wikipedia and check it out for yourself. Yamaha has no doubt carefully engineered this carb to deliver better performance or, "Why did it change the carb when fuel injection was already here, and not just on the bikes offered by the competition but also on Yamaha scooters sold elsewhere in the world? That 135 c.c. Yamaha engine is quite an engine and as for comments made here about 150 c.c. engines equipping other scooters from the specs I've seen generally Yamaha gets more performance out of its 135 c.c. engine than most of the so called competition can get out of 150 cc's.

an elegance is the quickest scooter from those 3 ,the pcx is probably the smoothest ,but the g-max has better brakes than others (you just touch them and it stops literally )

i only got to test the g-max in a car park so there was no chance to explore top end speeds etc but for power to weight ratio i think the elegance wins it

being the cheapest is just a bonus ,id still take the elegance(54k) if the pcx(75k ) and g-max(65k ) were all the same price

an elegance is the quickest scooter from those 3 ,the pcx is probably the smoothest ,but the g-max has better brakes than others (you just touch them and it stops literally )

i only got to test the g-max in a car park so there was no chance to explore top end speeds etc but for power to weight ratio i think the elegance wins it

being the cheapest is just a bonus ,id still take the elegance(54k) if the pcx(75k ) and g-max(65k ) were all the same price

I really like bikes in general. Always have. I loved that 250 CBR when I drove it to Rayong then broke my clavicle when my luck ran out. Great fun and a good all around bike for Thailand's highways that can do double duty in the city. For that matter I liked the old model 150 CBR I rented in Krabi. Then the next year I rented a gorgeous red PCX in Krabi and found it to be a superb mount. I even liked the ex girlfriend's bright red Fino I bought her. Beautiful lines and a fun bike to ride around in the neighborhood. But I really don't think anything out there will begin to match either the PCX or Nouvo Elegance for all around driving enjoyment short of getting on a highway or for practicality. And as for practicality you can haul around more stuff on the Elegance than on just about anything. Have recently bought a HOnda Civic which will be far better on the highway and longer hauls. But when it comes to all around versatility, one machine does it all, it's impossible to do better than a Nouvo Elegance. Taking it up Sukamvit for ten miles or so, past Nong Nooch Gardens from Central Pattaya I felt I couldn't get the distance covered any faster or more comfortably on even a much bigger bike. Going up route 36 all the way to Rayong, sure the CBR 250 was more in its element than the Nouvo and of course signficantly faster but I think I covered the distance in only five minutes less time and riding the Nouvo Elegance was very doable. There is no way a Honda Click or Mio or Fino would have been in it with the Elegance either on route 36 or up Sukamvit. And the Elegance will be just as easy to park as the much smaller bikes...which have about zero under the seat storage by the way.

And like I said....that 135 c.c. engine is awfully good. EVen with a carburator it will deliver the same fuel economy as the PCX in spite of the automatic shutoff at stoplights and fuel injection high tech wizardry of the PCX. An Elegance only weighs around 230 pounds which is not a lot more than the much less capable smaller bikes I mentioned above and at 53,[000 baht it's just 13,000 baht more. THat engine develops 11.2 horsepower. Now there are the figures for the Tiger G Max. Note it takes 150 cc's to get 11 horsepower versus the 11.2 the Elegance delivers on 135 cc. Note that the G Max is also significantly heavier than the 135 c.c. Elegance. it's one helluva engine and when you drive the Elegance you will feel it's a real live wire. One more thing...the GMax is over 10,000 baht more than the Elegance. This bike is the best machine for the money out there bare none.

The Tiger G-Max is available again for a discounted online price of 64500thb.

here the specs of the Bike:

Model: G-Max 150 ---- Engine type: 4 stroke,SOHC ---- Cooling system: Air with Oil-cooler ---- Displacement: 150.1 cc ---- Bore x Stroke: 57.5 x 57.8 ---- Max. Power: 11hp @ 7500 rpm ---- Max.torque: 11nm @ 6250 rpm --- Comp. ratio: 9.4:1 ---- Chassis : Steel super-structure ---- Starter: Electric/Kick ---- Transmission: C.V.T. ---- Dimensions (LxWxH) in mm: 1855x730x1170 ---- Brakes -Front: Disc (4 piston caliper) -Rear Disc (2 pot caliper) ---- Tyre -Front: 120/60-13 -Rear 130/60-13 ---- Wheel: Al-casting 13 in. ---- Dry Weight: 125 kg ---- Clearance: 160 mm ---- Fuel Tank Capacity: 7.5 ltr ---- Color: YELLOW, SILVER , BLUE, RED

Like I said

No idea where your looking, around where i live almost all places sell both new and 2nd hand, as well as many repair shops appear to always have 3 or 4 with For Sale notice on them.

As for fixing it, have you looked around, within a few km from me out in the sticks, there are many Honda main dealers, at least 3 Yamaha Main dealers and 2 Suzuki main dealers that I know of + far to many repair workshops to count.

Edit: Never understand this fixation of where to fix, someone in the Village has a Suzuki Hayate is 4 years old uses it every day to go to work, never gone wrong, across the road has a old Yamaha he bought 10 years ago 2 nd hand, only locals runs 2 or 3 times a day, never had to have it fixed.

I live in BKK Bangna district, and around here i could see only few small shops and 1 honda/yamaha dealer (around 30 bikes or so, only new). No trace of 2nd hand.. Of which area are you talking about?

@jackcorbett

Do you know what's the fuel consumption of an elegance?

also anyone can fix a current elegance with the mikuni carb ,many of the honda dealers do not have the electronic injection diagnosis computer machine yet so if theres a problem they dont have the required tools to diagnose it

in 5-10 years every somchai shop might have computer diagnostic system ,but right now a bike with a carb will probably be fixed faster ,especially if youre not near a main dealer when it breaks

@jackcorbett

Do you know what's the fuel consumption of an elegance?

Here's my road test comparison between the Honda PCX and the Nouvo Elegance The Looking Glass comparison test between the PCX and Elegance

Nice one, just next time I suggest using smoother colors as my eyes are still burning B)

Back to the first 3 models, does anybody know why the Skydrive is advertised as fuel injected while in every spec i could find they mention a MIKUNI BS26 carburetor? Am i missing something? :blink:

The new Mio looks very nice, i'd buy it. The Elegance is a great bike, but if you want a quicker bike around town then the new Honda Airblade is faster. Smaller engine but will leave any Elegance at the lights, though maybe not at top speed. My Airblade will cruise at 90-100KPH, which is more than enough for a scooter. The storage space under the seat is huge too.

I don't think you should worry too much about fuel, the savings on any scooter are almost unnoticeable. You can secure any helmet by trapping the buckle under the seat, look in any carpark and you'll see what I mean.

The extra money for a PCX is definately not worth it. Spend a bit more and you could get a CBR150.

The new Mio looks very nice, i'd buy it. The Elegance is a great bike, but if you want a quicker bike around town then the new Honda Airblade is faster. Smaller engine but will leave any Elegance at the lights, though maybe not at top speed. My Airblade will cruise at 90-100KPH, which is more than enough for a scooter. The storage space under the seat is huge too.

I don't think you should worry too much about fuel, the savings on any scooter are almost unnoticeable. You can secure any helmet by trapping the buckle under the seat, look in any carpark and you'll see what I mean.

The extra money for a PCX is definately not worth it. Spend a bit more and you could get a CBR150.

an airblade steers and swerves very well but i wouldnt say its faster than an elegance ,certaintly not in a straight line ,the ones i have rented have been noticably slower than the elegance + the elegance has 16" wheels and most other scooters have smaller

if you see me at the lights ,we can have a drag race :)

usually not many scooters can hang with my elegance and anything that gets a couple of metres in front soon gets left behind when the mid range torque kicks in

i would like a few performance mods on it but i drive a lot and i see the police giving hassle + fines now to young thais for their modified (noisy )exhausts so i dont know if its worth doing or not

• 1 year later...

No idea where your looking, around where i live almost all places sell both new and 2nd hand, as well as many repair shops appear to always have 3 or 4 with For Sale notice on them.As for fixing it, have you looked around, within a few km from me out in the sticks, there are many Honda main dealers, at least 3 Yamaha Main dealers and 2 Suzuki main dealers that I know of + far to many repair workshops to count.Edit: Never understand this fixation of where to fix, someone in the Village has a Suzuki Hayate is 4 years old uses it every day to go to work, never gone wrong, across the road has a old Yamaha he bought 10 years ago 2 nd hand, only locals runs 2 or 3 times a day, never had to have it fixed.
I live in BKK Bangna district, and around here i could see only few small shops and 1 honda/yamaha dealer (around 30 bikes or so, only new). No trace of 2nd hand.. Of which area are you talking about?@jackcorbett Do you know what's the fuel consumption of an elegance?
fuel consumption is easy when empty fill back up every day if you use lot every other day if ou don't