Multiple Entry O-A Renewing

This was posted by a friend and I don't know the answer?

This report of a pleasant visa surprise is for retirees like myself. I know some of you will not believe me (as one already has told me), so I hope to see some discussion that will help to confirm or rebut what I have learned. I have been in Thailand 9 months with a multiple-entry O-A retirement visa. A couple days ago, I asked a retiree friend who has been here a number of years for advice on extending or renewing it. I was shocked to hear that I was supposed to register every 3 months with immigration, otherwise face fines. It was the first I had heard about it. So I went down to the immigration office at the bridge to clear things up, taking some money so that I could pay the fines if necessary. But the two ladies at the desk for foreigners told me quite clearly that with an O-A visa I did not need to register. Furthermore, I did not need to extend or renew the visa to stay another year. All I need to do is leave the country and return before one year from the date on which the visa was issued. Upon re-entry, my passport will be stamped good for another year, and that is all there will be to it. Has anyone learned the same or different?

You need to report your address to Immigration every 90 days you are in the country. The fine for not doing so is normally 2,000 Baht but can be as high as 5,000 Baht and 200 Baht a day.

During the first year of the Visa you will get 12 months on each entry , so if you enter just before it expires you will get 12 months.

If you need to leave the country during the second year you need a Re Entry Permit from Immigration.

As said you are required to report your address using a TM.47 every 90 days while inside Thailand. If you exit the count starts again on day of return. There is no exception for a non immigrant O-A visa under the provisions of Immigration Act so you may be fined if you do not do this.

But it is correct any entry during validity will result in a new one year permitted to stay stamp but during the period after visa expires you will need a re-entry permit for any travel to keep the then permitted to stay time alive.