Motion To Move Northeasterers Down South

Jai Dee

PRESIDENT OF THE NATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION EXPRESSED DISAPPROVAL WITH THE INTERIOR MINISTRY’S IDEA TO MOVE PEOPLE FROM THE NORTH-EAST TO THE SOUTH

President of the National Human Rights Commission Saneh Jamarik (เสน่ห์ จามริก) expressed disapproval with the Interior Ministry’s idea to send Northeastern people to the Down South.

IN response to Assistant to the Interior Ministry Kosin Ketthong (โกสินทร์ เกษทอง) to relocate people in Northeastern provinces to the three southernmost provinces to solve their housing and land problems as well as bring harmony to the southern provinces, Professor Saneh said that it was not the right way to solve problems. He expressed his opinion that officials must keep justice in mind when solving the southern problem.

Professor Saneh added that the Northeastern people should be asked first whether they are willing to move down south. He added that the idea is very inappropriate if it is aimed at winning electoral votes.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 10 November 2005

ARMY COMMANDER SAYS RELOCATING NORTHEASTERN PEOPLE TO 3 SOUTHERN BORDER PROVINCES SHOULD BE DONE ON VOLUNTARY BASIS

The Army Commander, General Sonthi Boonyaratklin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน), has indicated that the Interior Ministry’s plan to relocate the Northeasterners to the three southern border provinces of Thailand is applicable, but it has to be done on a voluntary basis of the public.

Gen. SONTHI stated that this idea can help solve the ongoing unrest in the south as well as the poverty problems. However, he said the state officials need to take the right approach in solving the regional unrest. Further, they have to understand the degree of violence in different areas.

Nevertheless, the Army Commander said the government is currently on the right direction in solving the southern problems. He said officials have now become more efficient in dealing with the insurgents.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 10 November 2005

INTERIOR MINISTRY HAS NO POLICY TO RELOCATE NORTHEASTERNERS TO THE SOUTH

Interior Minister KONGSAK WANTANA (คงศักดิ์ วันทนา) spoke about the suggestion made by his assistant, Mr. KOSIN KETTHONG (โกสินทร์ เกษทอง), regarding the circulation of Northeasterners to the three southern border provinces of Thailand.

Air Chief Marshall KONGSAK stated that the Ministry of Interior has no policy to do so, and it is only a suggestion made by one person to solve poverty and the lack of lands for local laborers in the northeastern region. However, the ministry will have to conduct further research about the impacts of such plan before taking any action.

The Interior Minister also talked about the situation where the government is trying to bring in more monks into the three southernmost provinces, saying that it is up to the monks to decide. However, he said the number of monks in the Deep South has greatly declined, and many southern locals, particularly the Thai Buddhists, are religious dependence.

Yer right. A Public Relations Dept. press release. :o

This is straight out of Stalins handbook.

I thaught that one of the biggest gripes in the deep south was that there were too many landless farmers and not enough work allready.

Cobber what do you mean?  I'm not up to date on Stalinist social engineering.  Why would Stalin want to take the landless to a different place with lots of landless already?

Two differant issues. Sory no connection intended.

The press releases were suggesting that they could move the unemployed and landless farmers from esarn areas to the deep south where they could find land and work. The only problem is that the deep southerners are allready very unhappy with the govt. because there is no work and govt land that was promised to landless farmers has not been forthcoming.

Stalin forcably moved millions of people from one end of the Soviet Union to the other. Any areas where he sensed any dissent he would simply move large numbers of people to another area and replace them with supposedly loyal to the cause Russians.

RELOCATION OF NORTHEASTERN PEOPLE POLICY DISAGREED UPON BY SENATOR

An UBONRATCHATHANI Senator of the Democrat Party disagrees with the Interior Ministry's line of thinking which proposes that Northeastern residents should be relocated to the southern provinces. The senator also asks that the Minister of the Interior re-evaluate his approach to solving the southern unrest.

Mr. VITHOON NAMBUT (วิฑูรย์ นามบุตร), an UBONRATCHATHANI Senator of the Democrat party referred to the Ministry of the Interior's approach to solving the southern unrest, which proposes that people in the northeast should be evacuated to the three southern provinces, stating that this will not help the Northeasterners at all. He said this will result in cultural and religious conflicts in the southern provinces. The senator stated that the Ministry of the Interior should work towards fostering understanding with the Northeastern locals.

Regarding the issue of poverty in the Northeastern provinces, Mr. VITHOON has proposed that the issues of lack of water, unfertile land, low agricultural production, and high costs of living be addressed first. Tomorrow, the Democrat Party will travel to the region to receive input from the people in the area regarding the government's policy.

I think this is a relic of the days back in the 16th-19th centuries when those who were attempting to centralise government and populate "Thailand" used to "resettle" prisoners of war from outlying districts like the edges of modern Laos/Burma to the central plains. I guess they haven't yet realised that times have changed... or have they?

"Steven"

Yes, you can see where the idea came from. In the past it has worked for Thailand.

However, this situation is something different, because you are considering moving Budhists in order to dilute the Muslim population. I can assure you the Muslims aren't going to take that lightly.

I think if Stalin were in charge, he would be smart enough to first eliminate the Muslim population, and THEN populate the region with "his" people.

Not sure how many volunteers will be interested.

Maybe a better approach would be to set up a special "farang immigration region" in the three provinces. You know, greatly reduced requirements for visas and work permits, foreign ownership and the like. Then our members here can "volunteer".

:o

kenk3z

Maybe this is a threat to the uppity farmers from Isaan that if they keep squaking about their hardships then maybe the gov't will show them what hardship really is!!!

First of all ^ :o

Second of all, it might toughen up the Issanites and at the same time breed some of the hotheadedness out of the Southern blood.

:D

I think this is a relic of the days back in the 16th-19th centuries when those who were attempting to centralise government and populate "Thailand" used to "resettle" prisoners of war from outlying districts like the edges of modern Laos/Burma to the central plains.  I guess they haven't yet realised that times have changed... or have they?

"Steven"

All the region's wars in that historical period were for workers as most areas were underpopulated lands. In effect, labor was the natural resource in short supply needed to produce additional surplus and wealth for the rulers. At the time taxation was in the form of corvee labor so local wars were waged in order to increase taxes by obtaining more bodies.

The relocation of populations to change demographics and quell irredentist movements goes back centuries, well before Stalin, and it is hard to argue against the logic. Of course we all abhor forced relocations of populations. Even incentives to immigrations can be abhorent such as in the modern case in Tibet, a form of outright imperialism and cultural genocide on the part of the Chinese. But giving incentives to people to relocate for political purposes is pretty common throughout history and across cultures.

Seeing that the Thais are not about to give the Southern Provinces back to Malaysia ansd seeing that segments of the Southern Muslim populations in Thailand have joined the radical, no compromise, Wahabi Islamist movement, this is a rare situation where I can't really fault the government's logic.

i think its a masterstroke of an idea by the thai government.

flood the southern provinces with a few hundred thousand baan nork sh1tkickers with their toothless grins , their chickens , pigs and buffalos , their shrieking shrill voiced women , their morning to night drinking and smoking , their lazing around all day doing nothing , their temptress lascivious daughters , their 300 decibel tractors and honda 50 bikes and the muslim insurgents will be fleeing to malaysia like rats down a drainpipe in the face of such an onslaught.

lets hope they dont overnight in bangkok or hua hin on the way down.

DEFENCE MINISTER THAMMARAK SAYS IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO RELOCATE NORTHEASTERNERS TO SOUTHERN PROVINCES

Defence Minister THAMMARAK ISARANGURA NA AYUTTHAYA (ธรรมรักษ์ อิศรางกูร ณ อยุธยา) commented on the suggestion made by the Interior Minister's Assistant KOSIN KETTHONG (โกสินทร์ เกษทอง) to relocate people from the northeastern region to the three southern border provinces of Thailand.

Mr. KOSIN stated that his suggestion will simultaneously solve the land and housing problems in the north as well as the southern unrest. However, the Defence Minister indicated that the idea is rather conservative, and almost impossible to take place due to the differences in the ways of life of the Northeasterners, in contrast to the southern residents.

As for the suggestion to encourage army officers who were dismissed from their posts to ordain as monks, Gen. THAMMRAK said that the suggestion was made from people who never lived in the southern provinces.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันพฤหัสบดีที่ 10 พฤศจิกายน 2548

i think its a masterstroke of an idea by the thai government.

flood the southern provinces with a few hundred thousand baan nork sh1tkickers with their toothless grins , their chickens , pigs and buffalos , their shrieking shrill voiced women , their morning to night drinking and smoking , their lazing around all day doing nothing , their temptress lascivious daughters , their 300 decibel tractors and honda 50 bikes and the muslim insurgents will be fleeing to malaysia like rats down a drainpipe in the face of such an onslaught.

lets hope they dont overnight in bangkok or hua hin on the way down.

:o:D:D Its postings like this that make this forum so entertaining to read. Thank you Tax exile. I have spilt my coffee though. :D

:o  :D  :D Its postings like this that make this forum so entertaining to read. Thank you Tax exile. I have spilt my coffee though. :D

I have learnt (the wet way) to put down any liquids (coffee, whisky, beer, whatever...) and swallow before opening and reading any of his posts... :D

It's a good idea bringing the north-eastern buddhists to the south so that they can be the majority...neutralize the muslims...but I don't think they will do it.

The best solution is to let the southerners muslims migrate to other muslim countries of their choices..maybe Mayalsia, Indonsisa or even Irag.

If they dont like Thailand they should give up their citizenships and piss off.

If you visit the muslim homes of the south, don't be suprised if you see the portraits of the Malaysian King and Queen instead of Thai.... :o

MINISTRY OF INTERIOR HAS NO POLICY TO DISMISS MR. KOSIN KETTONG FROM HIS POST REGARDING THE IDEA OF RECOLATING EASTERNERS TO THE THREE SOUTHERN PROVINCES

Interior Minister KONGSAK WANTHANA (คงศักดิ์ วันทนา) said he has not ordered Vice Minister of the Interior KOSIN KETTHONG (โกสินทร์ เกษทอง) to resign from his post, following his suggestion to circulate the Northeasterners to the Deep South. The Interior Minister said he believed that Mr. KOSIN’s actual intention was to help solve the social problems in Thailand.

Earlier, certain members of the House of Representatives and senators have demanded the Vice Minister of the Interior to leave his as a gesture to show his responsibility for such recommendation. However, ACM KONGSAK said that Mr. KOSIN only voiced his opinion during a meeting, and everyone has the right to do so.

He added that the Vice Minister’s idea was not ill-intentioned, and that he wanted to help solve national issues.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันศุกร์ที่ 11 พฤศจิกายน 2548

VICE MINISTER FOR INTERIOR KOSIN KETTHONG DISMISSES RELOCATING OF NORTHEASTERNERS TO SOUTHERN PROVINCES

Vice Minister of the Interior Kosin Ketthong (โกสินทร์ เกษทอง) has denied that he offered the idea of resettling the northeastern villagers in the southernmost provinces, given the reason that the media did not report accurate news.

Today, the Vice Minister of the Interior informed the press concerning his proposal together with showing the tape of the meeting to the media. He has denied that he recommended such idea. He insisted that his actual intention was to consider the allocation of free lands to the northeasterners, in order to solve poverty and land problems.

Mr. Kosin added that he is ready to take the responsibility if any evident could prove that he raised the idea of relocating northeasterners to the three southern border provinces He said that he will not file a lawsuit against the media for the incident and that a feasibility study may be conducted regarding the allocation of lands to the Northeasterners.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันศุกร์ที่ 11 พฤศจิกายน 2548

It's a good idea bringing the north-eastern buddhists to the south so that they can be the majority...neutralize the muslims...but I don't think they will do it.

The best solution is to let the southerners muslims migrate to other muslim countries of their choices..maybe Mayalsia, Indonsisa or even Irag.

If they dont like Thailand they should give up their citizenships and piss off.

If you visit the muslim homes of the south, don't be suprised if you see the portraits of the Malaysian King and Queen instead of Thai.... :o

This reminds me of the people in the US who suggested that a way to solve the "black problem" was to send them all back to Africa!!!!!

This reminds me of the people in the US who suggested that a way to solve the "black problem" was to send them all back to Africa!!!!!

I don't remember that (send blacks back to Africa?) but I do remember in the sixties when forced busing was innacted forcing white kids to attend black dominated schools and blacks forced to attend white dominated schools. .....of course this didn't work and was soon dropped without any further action, i.e., until the riots in east Los Angeles broke out...

When I first read the original posting from the newspaper article my first thought was, relocation? as in Hitler's relocation camps. When I told my wife and family about the original newspaper article they all laughed and said it could never happen.

This proposed move (which incidentally the guy who made the comment denied making the comment) is totally indicative of the collective I.Q. of your Thai politicians like minus 5 !!.

Do the powers that be really think that this is the ideal solution , rather like the Chinese when they marched in to Tibet to liberate Tibet.

Adolf Toxin is no doubt eying up profitable tracts of land along with other members of The Thai Rob Thai party that can be sold using dubious papers .

In the end, it wouldn't be a forced move. You don't have to force these folks to do anything. Free housing (that couldn't be resold or refinanced) would be more than enough to get millions to move. Maybe 200 talang wah plots with transfer of title after 40 years of residence. That's two full generations (and perhaps 3 Issan generations) to test the results.

:o